Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: 2013 R1200RT....motor oil question...

Quote Originally Posted by Hodadd View Post
    According to a web search Castrol Syntrax is available at Auto Zone for $10/32 oz bottle. FWIW

And, you're right about enforcement of the MM act. I used to own a Kia Sorrento and when it came time to service the transmission I discovered that you could only use Kia transmission fluid. It is specially formulated and nothing else works. A clear and obvious violation of federal law, but nonetheless that's the way it is.
    I guess no one has taken them to court yet. As far as maintenance items, I wonder how it plays out with cam chain tensioners on a HD twin cam. I've read that if it wears out, it's considered a maintenance item and not covered under warranty, but if the bike was serviced at a HD dealer, they tend to cover it.
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

Quote Originally Posted by ponch1 View Post
    I guess no one has taken them to court yet. As far as maintenance items, I wonder how it plays out with cam chain tensioners on a HD twin cam. I've read that if it wears out, it's considered a maintenance item and not covered under warranty, but if the bike was serviced at a HD dealer, they tend to cover it.
    Yeah, that's a whole 'nother kettle o' fish. I guess it's the plastic shoe underneath and is considered a normal wear item to be replaced at a set mileage, although it wasn't designed to be such. The big problem was that as it wore, it shedded plastic bits into the engine.

I just drove down to my local Auto Zone, and sure enough, they had the Castrol Syntrax sitting on the shelf for under 10 bux.

Castrol Syntrax at autozone

when I go to the Autozone website, I only see the limited slip version. Looking at another site, there was a note stating that Castrol Syntrax could not be shipped within the US. I used the Amsoil hi pressure synthetic lubs for final drive and transmission at 6k because I could not find the spec'd version nearby here in the Florida Keys. I would use it if I could find it.
    Last edited by wwalton; 04-22-2014 at 06:59 PM. Reason: spelling error

Quote Originally Posted by jeffkyle View Post
    Replies like this are worthless.

I've switched to Shell Aero 15/50 synthetic. Cheapest oil I could find. Five quarts for less than thirty bucks delivered to my door.
    Marty - in the western Oregon mountains.'06RT, (gone '04RT, '86 Venture Royal, '81 Yamaha Virago920, '82Suzuki GS1100GK, '76 Suzuki GT750, Triumph 750 Bonneville, BSA Road Rocket 650, 61" Harley knucklehead)

Quote Originally Posted by wwalton View Post
    when I go to the Autozone website, I only see the limited slip version. Looking at another site, there was a note stating that Castrol Syntrax could not be shipped within the US. I used the Amsoil hi pressure synthetic lubs for final drive and transmission at 6k because I could not find the spec'd version nearby here in the Florida Keys. I would use it if I could find it.
    Yes, it is the limited slip Syntrax. However, according to Castrol themselves this type oil is compatible with all gear boxes limited slip or not. Their other gears oils that are designated for non-limited slip applications are not cross compatible.

Still plays with trains. tinytrains's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wwalton View Post
    The only non-LS gear oil I know of for the final drive, is from BMW. Given you only need 180 ml per change, I just buy it. I don't know if it rally makes a difference, but I am not going to experiment at my own expense. The transmission should be fine on any quality synthetic gear oil.
    1988 K75 Low Seat
    2009 R1200R Roadster

Quote Originally Posted by tinytrains View Post
    The transmission should be fine on any quality synthetic gear oil.

Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by ralwhite View Post
    Replies like this are worthless.
    I think that's what the poster is stating about oil threads.
    MOA #46783
    2014 R1200RT

Just had the FPC recall done and a few other odds and ends. (Brake flush, rear end and tranny)

Current BMW spec is 15-50 Semi Synthetic. Straight from service manager today! At least for my '09.
    Last edited by Atomicman52; 05-08-2014 at 05:28 PM.
    "The Older I Get, the Faster I Was"
    '09 Black Metallic Sapphire "Fully Farkled" RT