Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2012 RT with high oil consumption

Let's see...had a friend with 37 miles on his new GS and rode it like he stole it...and ruined a big end bearing....the owner always knows best.
    '14 R1200RT
    MOA #46783

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ride View Post
    And I now have just over 8k miles. The usage appears to be slowing but between my 600 mile service and the 6k mile service the bike consumed two liters. My dealer did use BMW 15w-50 full synthetic at the 600 mile service, as suggested by BMW.

Although this went against what I have historically practiced I went along with it thinking it would be best in the event there was a warranty issue. Either way I suspect that as the miles continue to build the consumption will decline.

Scot
    What have you normally done? 20w50?
    Dan Schmidt
    http://www.vestedbb.com
    2005 BMW R1200RT

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    So you check the oil after the bike is warm, wait 10 minutes with it on the center stand, and maintain an oil level at the halfway level in the window, eh?
    BMWMotorcycles, fun when they're running...
    My other bike is a BMW.
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

Quote Originally Posted by cjack View Post
    So you check the oil after the bike is warm, wait 10 minutes with it on the center stand, and maintain an oil level at the halfway level in the window, eh?
    No, at end of day of riding I stop in neutral with engine idling and press the button to verify there is oil in there and always get a "check" mark.

No worries.
    Marty - in the western Oregon mountains.'06RT, (gone '04RT, '86 Venture Royal, '81 Yamaha Virago920, '82Suzuki GS1100GK, '76 Suzuki GT750, Triumph 750 Bonneville, BSA Road Rocket 650, 61" Harley knucklehead)

I picked mine up as slightly used at 2000 miles, I could tell by looking at the tires it had probably been babied. It gulped oil at first, I did a 1700 mile weekend to Ft. Davis and a quart barely got me home. I read this forum and stuck with it ! Miles in the low 34000 range now and I do not have to add between service intervals. I didn't ride it like a maniac but I didn't baby it either. Stick with it .

Quote Originally Posted by Motodan View Post
    Let's see...had a friend with 37 miles on his new GS and rode it like he stole it...and ruined a big end bearing....the owner always knows best.
    I've run in the following since 2001. Very hard from mile 10 and almost no oil use from day 1.
    7 1200 GS's
    3 1150 RT's
    2 650 GS's
    2 1150 R's
    ! 800 GS

Have I just been lucky with 15 bikes?

Perhaps your friend just got a bad engine from the factory.
    Marty Hill
    12 GS black/Boxer Cup Replika

ride till you can't

Quote Originally Posted by martyhill View Post
    I've run in the following since 2001. Very hard from mile 10 and almost no oil use from day 1.
    7 1200 GS's
    3 1150 RT's
    2 650 GS's
    2 1150 R's
    ! 800 GS

Have I just been lucky with 15 bikes?

Perhaps your friend just got a bad engine from the factory.
    Could be...have to admit the engine itself quite bullet-proof, but "things" can and do.
    '14 R1200RT
    MOA #46783

Try this:

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

I have been doing this procedure for years before there was a "motoman", and never have had a bike or any vehicle use oil excessively. Did it on the current bike and it uses essentially no oil between changes. I use Amsoil 20W50.
    Doug, 2011 R1200RT Polar Metallic
    MSF #127350 NAUI #36288

There is no mystery to engine break in and what it doesn't call for is not using the motor.

It is very important to load rings heavily early on. That's low rpm full throttle in higher gears. And to mix it up with a few runs to the limit after a little bit of use

If a motor is still using a bunch of oil at 4K or 6K it probably was babied excessively when new (eg perhaps ridden by a former Harley ridr using similar rpm). The only problem with that is that the final breakin may now take a bunch longer than normal. Only in rare cases will stuff not seat in eventually.

A racers breakin consists of few dyno runs and then bolt it in and have at it..

Quote Originally Posted by danvestedbb View Post
    What have you normally done? 20w50?
    The weight is not the concern; it is running synthetic too early. I typically wait 3-5k miles before moving from dino to synthetic.
    2012 R1200RT - Fluid Grey Metallic

The weight is not the concern; it is running synthetic too early. I typically wait 3-5k miles before moving from dino to synthetic.
    OK. I just recently bought my first RT (used). I have about 60,000 miles on it. Should I be using 20w50?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    Dan Schmidt
    http://www.vestedbb.com
    2005 BMW R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by danvestedbb View Post
    OK. I just recently bought my first RT (used). I have about 60,000 miles on it. Should I be using 20w50?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    Only if you want to.
    Marty - in the western Oregon mountains.'06RT, (gone '04RT, '86 Venture Royal, '81 Yamaha Virago920, '82Suzuki GS1100GK, '76 Suzuki GT750, Triumph 750 Bonneville, BSA Road Rocket 650, 61" Harley knucklehead)

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    I typically put in synth at the 600 mile oil change. No significant oil usage on any of the Ks we have had or the '08GS and '12GS. A couple of ounces on a 4600 mile trip out to Oregon and back, both GSes, just recently.
    And we just ride them like normal people...no stole it or whatever. 4 to 5 thousand rpm when cruising.
    BMW would have you believe that everything that happens to the bike is something you did or didn't do. The truth is that they have more control before you ever get it than you do. I have seen even a K75 use a quart in a thousand miles from new. Eventually it dried up somewhat, but BMW manufactured it that way, not the owner's break-in methods or synth or dino, or whatever.
    I am thinking the new water cooled twins will be more consistently "not" oil burners from new.
    BMWMotorcycles, fun when they're running...
    My other bike is a BMW.
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

P Monk

can the dealer read rpm's / hours on the computer?

the reason I ask is I recently bought a suzuki outboard motor. It has a breakin routine that is pretty boring, but the dealer says they can download the hours and rpms the motor is run at. Never heard of that on a motorcycle, but it should be easily possible.

I followed max rpms fairly close on my 09 gs, but did a lot of full throttle runs and lot of decelerating with throttle closed. Varied speeds constantly, probably didn't redline it too often but would run up to 5-6 k rpms. Whatever it seems to have worked. The bike just doesn't burn oil!
    P. Monk
    My prized possessions. 74 R90/6 Mine! (also know by bride as the Black Hole). 09 R1200 GS. My wife, 1953 model who has survived aplastic anemia and a bone marrow transplant. My most prized possession is my relationship with Jesus!

Engines do not know what kind of oil is in them. The major consideration is only cost. You can break in an engine with synthetic or straight petroleum oil. I generally, on a new engine, change at 100, 600, 1200 and 6000 to flush all the loose trash out of the engine. Doing that with synthetic would be kind of expensive.
    Doug, 2011 R1200RT Polar Metallic
    MSF #127350 NAUI #36288