Thread: Carb question for R60/6

Carb question for R60/6

I bought my R60/6 new, and have never removed the carbs. Question: Do the carbs unscrew off of the cylinder, or do they just pull off? I tried to pull on off, but it seemed stuck and I didn't want to go any further.

I think that they just pull off, after loosening the collar, and twisting back and forth to "break" the seal.

However, go to Max's BMW to see the factory microfisch which shows the schematic parts breakdown. Pick parts, pick your model, and then find the picture in the left side, and then see the individual parts for that pic on the right pane.

I don't think the pictures are that detailed to show threads, but I'll put some brake fluid or penetrating oil to break the seal and see if they'll move. Most repair manuals just say, "remove carbs".

It's as Jimmy says. Remove the clamps on either side, remove the air tube, and wiggle the carb free.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Loosen the two clamps by the collar on the air-tube and slide the collar up, away from the carb. Loosen the clamp on the air-tube at the top and swing the air tube away from the carb and off the bike. Loosen the clamp between the carb and the cylinder head and remove the carb. You may have to spray some silicone lube or WD-40 on any or all of these connections to assist in getting them to begin moving.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Michael Stock, Trinity, NC
    R1100RT, R100, R60/6

Twist and pull after you remove the plastic intake "horns" and collars, as has been suggested. They should come off.
    Careful what you spray on them. The gasket that holds the carbs to the heads is made of some sort of fiber and will probably start disintegrating.

advrider.com
    The carb should pull off, but..

Quote Originally Posted by photorider View Post
    The gasket that holds the carbs to the heads is made of some sort of fiber and will probably start disintegrating.
    that gasket is a really tight fit on my R60/6.