Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Does your GS-W Shift Roughly?

Latest Issue of BMW Motorcycle Magazine addresses this issue

In the latest issue of BMW Motorcycle Magazine, Jens Staebe, Head of Technical Support and Warranty at BMW Motorrad talks about this issue as being a 'clutch separation and shift shock' issue and goes on to say that there is ONLY one approved engine oil for the GS-W. That oil is Castrol Power 1 Racing SAE 5W-40, APL SL/JASO MA2, and it's expensive (go figure). Overfilling the crankcase must be avoided. He stated that, "We are familiar with isolated confirmations of this separation behavior of the clutch, which is why we are investigating improvements. If technical measures should be necessary, we will inform our commercial network immediately." Nothing in the article mentions anything about overfilled reservoirs.

Quote Originally Posted by bmwmotorwerkz View Post
    In the latest issue of BMW Motorcycle Magazine, Jens Staebe, Head of Technical Support and Warranty at BMW Motorrad talks about this issue as being a 'clutch separation and shift shock' issue and goes on to say that there is ONLY one approved engine oil for the GS-W. That oil is Castrol Power 1 Racing SAE 5W-40, APL SL/JASO MA2, and it's expensive (go figure). Overfilling the crankcase must be avoided. He stated that, "We are familiar with isolated confirmations of this separation behavior of the clutch, which is why we are investigating improvements. If technical measures should be necessary, we will inform our commercial network immediately." Nothing in the article mentions anything about overfilled reservoirs.
    Good info.

On the UKGSer forum, multiple users are reporting that BMW UK is fitting updated parts in an attempt to cure the problem.
    Eventual Master of the Obvious
    SE Mass - SOHC4 - DoD - BMWMOA - EMOTO #1
    ...proud walking jingle in the midnight sun...
    Free Smugmug Discount Coupon: mStnWv71mNkjo

Hopefully they figure out this issue before they put the same components into the 2014 RT.

Sent from my iPhone

I guess he never heard of Moss Magnuson
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    This is what I'm finding... only pull the lever in partially which clicking up (sorta like speed shifting, but not abusive) is making shifting better.

Shifting has improved now that the bike is approaching 10K miles.

Need to go check the reservoir level, will be interesting to see if it's overfilled.

Ian

This is what I found too. Even the demo bike had the same thing but I figured it would all settle out over a little time. Coming from an older 1150 it is an amazing bike. I noticed that after about 2k miles things were getting much smoother. Thanks for the heads up on the high fluid level. Unusual to get more than what is absolutely necessary these days...I wonder if there was a charge for it on the build sheet lol

Quote Originally Posted by gr8ridn2 View Post
    It is true the clutch master cylinder level will increase as the clutch wears, just the opposite of brakes.
    It's a completely different kind of clutch than earlier boxers ...
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    It's a completely different kind of clutch than earlier boxers ...
    Except of course if the rear oil seal was leaking on the early boxer haha.

AZrider

clutch

Quote Originally Posted by ppaintguy View Post
    Except of course if the rear oil seal was leaking on the early boxer haha.
    Good thread 12,800 mi and clutch seemed to be harder to operate. It sneaks up on u gradually. So I opened the bowl, oil spilled out and I adjusted for proper fill. It really does make a difference and shift quality is back. Starting in First is no longer the hassle it was and shift to 2nd and 3rd smooth. thanks for this thread and making my ride so much better.
    R1200WGS 2013

Hammam
    Well, Castrol oil is not available here. So, why is the 1200GS LC available? LOL! My dealer uses Motul 300 5W40, which is supposed to have the same specs as the Castrol.

At the 10,000 kms service, they did the oil change, but I specifically asked for no more than 4L. In fact, they put 3,9L according to the mechanic. They also replaced both clutch and brake lines DOT. My gear shifting, which had been improving all the time, is now almost smooth as butter. Almost. Not going into first, mind you, but I guess THAT is hopeless. I also have less clutch drag when starting cold in the morning, with 1st engaged and clutch pulled in, which caused a jump forward of the bike, and also made it difficult to move around by hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammam View Post
    Well, Castrol oil is not available here. So, why is the 1200GS LC available? LOL! My dealer uses Motul 300 5W40, which is supposed to have the same specs as the Castrol.

At the 10,000 kms service, they did the oil change, but I specifically asked for no more than 4L. In fact, they put 3,9L according to the mechanic. They also replaced both clutch and brake lines DOT. My gear shifting, which had been improving all the time, is now almost smooth as butter. Almost. Not going into first, mind you, but I guess THAT is hopeless. I also have less clutch drag when starting cold in the morning, with 1st engaged and clutch pulled in, which caused a jump forward of the bike, and also made it difficult to move around by hand.
    If BMW requires a particular oil, they have to pay for it. As long as it meets the specifications outlined by BMW, it will be fine. I think Shell Rotella has a 5W-40 synthetic that meets JASO MA2 specs. It comes in 4 quart jugs and is reasonably priced.
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

Amazon won't ship it to where ever you are?

They also replaced both clutch and brake lines DOT.
    I certainly hope not. Or perhaps I misunderstood. Clutch does not use DOT anything. It uses a mineral oil. Says so right on the cap.