Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Oilhead Rally Thread

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    What I did on my summer vacation:

I went to the rally. I volunteered at registration and met lots of fun folks. I met SeabeckS and K75S. We drank beer. I spent money. I attended seminars. I had a fun time even though I saw a lot of RS's. I didn't win anything because the contests were obviously rigged. (kidding)

Then I went on a meandering trip south which included California Hwy 299 from Interstate 5 to Hwy 101 - 120 miles of fun and entertainment. Then I rode home.

The End
    I can verify...we did drink beer!

Bill Johnston

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by k75s View Post
    2nd pic, nobody knows what this is, and it gathered a lot of attention. Yes, that is a toiletry bin attached to the gas tank with tooth brushes and toothpaste.
    That, sir, belongs to Phil Funnell - previously a long-time BMW dealer in Vancouver. He's a frequent attendee at the BeeCee Beemers meetings. And a very entertaining fellow he is. The best part of this whole rig is at the back. The supporting wheel is from a 10-speed. Suspension is a 1/4" x 3' x 1' piece of plywood to which the wheel's axle is attached with clamps. This "suspension" unit has an over-extension system built in - two pieces of rope (used to be bungee cords) attached from the plywood board to the top of the trailer unit. There are no damper units.

The whole kit and kaboodle is a sight to behold. Pictures will never do it justice but here are a few more. http://www.google.ca/search?q=phil+f...49%3B800%3B600

The guy is a bit of a legend. http://motorcyclehalloffame.ca/phil_funnell.htm

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Ahhh yes, Phil Funnel and his famous "pod Mark II". Founding and lifetime member of our BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club in British Columbia. Phil once owned a BMW motorcycle dealership here in Vancouver B.C. and one of his many famous quotes was "I don't sell motorcycles, I create enthusiasts!"

Amoung other things Phil was the first person to ride the Dempster Highway to Tuktoyaktuk. In WINTER. Just one of his many long distance and some might say mad adventures. There is only one Phil Funnel and may he ride far and long. You can meet him in person, examine his pod and listen to endless stories of high adventure at our Nakusp Hot Springs Rally in August. http://www.beeceebeemers.com/rally.htm

I'm the chair and yes, that was a shameless plug.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

k75s, thanks for posting. Enjoyed the pictures. Benko Pulko has quite a story. What an amazing trip. The McMinnville Evergreen Aircraft and Space Museum looks fantastic. I am sure you could have spent all day there.
    2000 R1100RS
    1972 R75/5

A Barley picture! Thanks for that one too.
    2000 R1100RS
    1972 R75/5

Not oilhead specific per se, but how I got to the rally. :-)

Oregon Part 1 from Terence Hamill on Vimeo.

Terence
    R75/5 R100RS K100RS R1100S

Here's Big Red, my R11RS. Nothing like riding her across country to the rally.

She's showing 359,789 miles now, and has 8,000 more that don't show. What a great Mother's Day present she was 20 years ago!

Voni
    sMiling
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

what mine looked like going to/from the rally:

pre-rally, Galena Summit, north of Sun Valley:

post-rally, at Tri-Valley Lake in BC:

AND, I know for a fact that several of you RS riders saw my bike at the rally, as there were drool stains all over it! You know who you are, time to fess up.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Left Coast Rider
    Terham: EXCELLENT video. Thanks for that!

Bikerfish: I hear you re: drool stains. I took care to put a cover on my bike every day. Too bad we didn't get a chance to buy each other a beverage. And lastly, I was up at Three Valley Gap yesterday. I trust you enjoyed your ride!

Quote Originally Posted by bikerfish1100 View Post
    AND, I know for a fact that several of you RS riders saw my bike at the rally, as there were drool stains all over it! You know who you are, time to fess up.
    HA!! I was not at the rally! The drool is only on my keyboard.

Hmm, I wonder how my black RS would look with red headers and graphics... maybe next time you'll be drooling.
    Mark M, St. Louis, '95 R1100RS, '01 Super Sherpa
    There are two roads in life; the twisty one is vastly more fun.

terham: thanks for posting the video. Looks like you had the trip of a lifetime. It was great to "tag along with you" via the video. Your K100RS appears to be your "go to" bike for distance rides rides.

Voni: Keep looking in your mirrors. I only have about 319,789 miles until I catch you.

bikerfish1100: Those were not my drool stains. I am saving mine for next year's rally.
    2000 R1100RS
    1972 R75/5

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by bluehole View Post
    terham: thanks for posting the video. Looks like you had the trip of a lifetime. It was great to "tag along with you" via the video. Your K100RS appears to be your "go to" bike for distance rides rides.

Voni: Keep looking in your mirrors. I only have about 319,789 miles until I catch you.

bikerfish1100: Those were not my drool stains. I am saving mine for next year's rally.
    Mr. Bluehole,

Just where the heck have you been for the past few weeks? I can understand your embarrassment at not attending the Rally - especially with me, SeabeckS, and K75S all there. You will be given the chance to redeem yourself next year.

BTW, I'm going to Minneapolis on the 21st to ride a bike back to Northern California. Its an 1100S, of course.

I was on vacation. Nice to relax, but playing catch up since I got back.
    What is the deal with riding an S to California? Riding it back for a friend? Good chance to evaluate routes for next year.
    Last edited by bluehole; 08-11-2013 at 12:20 AM.
    2000 R1100RS
    1972 R75/5

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by bluehole View Post
    I was on vacation. Nice to relax, but playing catch up since I got back.
    What is the deal with riding an S to California? Riding it back for a friend? Good chance to evaluate routes for next year.
    Truth be told, the buddy I visited after the rally decided after seeing mine that he had to have a more modern bike in addition to his R100RS. We found and I test rode an 1150RS but it was a bad example of a good motorcycle. So he started scouring on-line postings and found a yellow S in Minneapolis which seemed to be in good shape with low mileage. Bought it. I'm flying there to do some pre-trip maintenance (change all fluids, filters, etc) and then pushing off for the San Francisco area. Looks like about a 3,000 km trip. I figure 4 days as I'm going to do my darnedest to avoid the interstate. Cumulatively, I'm doing some serious distance this year (for me). My sportbikes are starting to get the feeling of abandonment.

In addition, the 14th I'm off to the BeeCee Beemers Rally in Nakusp, BC. Just a short jaunt, comparatively speaking. I was in the area last week tooling around in my car and I can't wait to get the bike on some of those local roads.

Uh-Oh! It's not School Bus Yellow is it? LOL

Have a good trip, lots of interesting countryside betwixt Minn and Cali!

Bill Johnston