Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Why am I getting only 25mpg?

That sounds promising - a racer who has wrenched on his own bikes for 30 has a check in the experience box and should understand the importance of avoiding mechanical failures. DNFs and crashing out due to workmanship aren't acceptable - best of luck - if you end up needing a caliper ( hopefully not) send me a pm - I have a full set from my '96 r1100rs parts bike in the spares bin. ABS hard lines too. We can check part #s if you need anything.

Quote Originally Posted by rxcrider View Post
    That sounds promising - a racer who has wrenched on his own bikes for 30 has a check in the experience box and should understand the importance of avoiding mechanical failures. DNFs and crashing out due to workmanship aren't acceptable - best of luck - if you end up needing a caliper ( hopefully not) send me a pm - I have a full set from my '96 r1100rs parts bike in the spares bin. ABS hard lines too. We can check part #s if you need anything.
    I spoke too soon. The guy refuses to do "rebuild" work, said he will install complete calipers only. Problem is that a new pair w/o pads is already about $750. I'll PM you.
    Purveyor of fine wines & spirits
    Rides a 1996 R1100R

What would be the odds that the dealership completely flubbed the master cylinder installation?

Before you disassemble the calipers, try removing the lever from the front master cylinder. If this frees up the calipers, they messed up the grub screw adjustment or just didn't do it at all.

Alternatively, you could try looseing the grub screw from the start, but you are locking yourself into readjusting at that point.

Last edited by rxcrider; 07-26-2013 at 11:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rxcrider View Post
    What would be the odds that the dealership completely flubbed the master cylinder installation?

Before you disassemble the calipers, try removing the lever from the front master cylinder. If this frees up the calipers, they messed up the grub screw adjustment or just didn't do it at all.

Alternatively, you could try looseing the grub screw from the start, but you are locking yourself into readjusting at that point.

Interesting! I'm going to play with this tomorrow...thanks!
    Rides a 1996 R1100R

Green Bay, WI, west side about 1.5 miles from Lambeau.
    Good Lord!! I wouldn't let those muffler monkeys touch my bicycle much less my motorcycle. I have been doing all my own wrenching on my 94RS and it has only been in the shop for warranty issues early in its 18+ years/172k miles with me, and I am not a trained mechanic.

If the caliper came loose of the mount, I'd assume the bolts were not even turned into the mounts completely. Not only that, the only way the caliper came come clear of the disc, is by removing the caliper bolts completely, then twisting the caliper back and forth to compress the pucks, to gain "just" enough clearance to wiggle the caliper past the wheel rim. If the caliper came free of the mounts it likely also was bouncing off the inside of the wheel. Any damage there?

Bolts not torqued? I could almost understand that (though that is blantantly sloppy work). Bolts that feel out of a critical braking function with potentially life threatening failure results is simply blatant inepitude. Inexcusable and in my book, at the very least requires a FULL refund of all charges related the to components.

Now, about dragging front brakes: on the older Oilhead, there is an adjustment that can be made at the lever into the master cylinder. It was an early "tweak" by Bob Lentini to remove some of the "mushy" feeling at the brake lever. But you had to be careful not to over-adjust it or you could get dragging brakes as a result. Has that been checked?

Personally, I would work a deal with this skeptical service department to get most of your money back, and NEVER go there again.

Oh, and by the way. They are SO full of crap about your "old" bike getting lousy gas mileage. My 94RS, with a LOT of miles on it, heavier than your bike, with a tail trunk, with my modded exhaust and a Techlusion I installed, AND with the throttle bodies I rebuilt with the Bing kit and balanced with my cheapo mercury sticks, just got 40 mpg on the last tank, which was about 50/50 city/highway riding. Constant highway I get 45 to 48 mpg, still on the original fuel injectors, fuel pump, fuel regulator. I changed the fuel filter once in 172,000 miles. No way your bike should get anything less than 40mpg
    Woodenshoe to Cheesehead

On Sunday I filled up and made a run from the Boston area to the Cape. Here are the numbers for my "old" RT:

147 miles odometer 143 miles (google map) (odometer seems 3% high)
    90 miles highway (60-80 mph) est. 70 mph average
    53 miles local/stop&go, speed less than 50 mph

Lambda on the LC-1 set to 0.94 (6% rich)
    Top case and two side cases, windshield full up.
    Tires 36F/39R
    Temperature 75F

Fuel Used 2.9 gallons Premium 93 Octane
    Gas Mileage 143/29 = about 48/49 mpg combined 2/3 highway 1/3 local

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    It might be an idea for the OP to have a chat with our BMWMOA dealer liaison officer. I cannot recall his name right now but the club has a person who gets involved where applicable in disputes between club members and BMW dealers or BMW NA. I think he wrote an article on his role in the July ON.

This whole story is a great example of how not to do things in customer service and maybe he could be of some help.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

Here's a different thought, should you wish to take charge and work through parameters and functions that remain locked mysteriously within your engine's ecu, there is always the programmable controllers from megasquirt that allow you to dial in or change any level of ignition and fuel injection control for economy, power, or smoother performance as the case may be. (not add on system but controlling entire process stem to stern).
    This obviously isn't for everyone, for sure the faint of heart that are not wishing to learn everything that you can about this technology and your particular ride.
    Not meant to be a pitch for that product (although affordable enough), but certainly a means to an end. In my case the old air head can do 50-55mpg (Cdn) while venturing into serious turbo boost as the random occasion might present itself. Oilheads are in general much better suited to such a change.
    Sorry if this offends the purist approach, but I decided to let the Genie out.
    Lorne.

Quote Originally Posted by ANDYVH View Post
    If the caliper came loose of the mount, I'd assume the bolts were not even turned into the mounts completely. Not only that, the only way the caliper came come clear of the disc, is by removing the caliper bolts completely, then twisting the caliper back and forth to compress the pucks, to gain "just" enough clearance to wiggle the caliper past the wheel rim. If the caliper came free of the mounts it likely also was bouncing off the inside of the wheel. Any damage there? Bolts not torqued? I could almost understand that (though that is blantantly sloppy work). Bolts that feel out of a critical braking function with potentially life threatening failure results is simply blatant inepitude. Inexcusable and in my book, at the very least requires a FULL refund of all charges related the to components.
    The front right caliper came off the fork mount but stayed trapped on the rotor and was dangling.
    Rides a 1996 R1100R

Quote Originally Posted by Roger 04 RT View Post
    On Sunday I filled up and made a run from the Boston area to the Cape. Here are the numbers for my "old" RT:

147 miles odometer 143 miles (google map) (odometer seems 3% high)
    90 miles highway (60-80 mph) est. 70 mph average
    53 miles local/stop&go, speed less than 50 mph

Lambda on the LC-1 set to 0.94 (6% rich)
    Top case and two side cases, windshield full up.
    Tires 36F/39R
    Temperature 75F

Fuel Used 2.9 gallons Premium 93 Octane
    Gas Mileage 143/29 = about 48/49 mpg combined 2/3 highway 1/3 local
    Within the next week I will have a completely new brake system, I want to see my mileage return to at least 35mpg(the mileage it was getting before it went to BMW), hopefully it will be higher.
    Rides a 1996 R1100R

Quote Originally Posted by happy wanderer View Post
    It might be an idea for the OP to have a chat with our BMWMOA dealer liaison officer.
    Good point.
    Rides a 1996 R1100R

Quote Originally Posted by R100RTurbo View Post
    Here's a different thought, should you wish to take charge and work through parameters and functions that remain locked mysteriously within your engine's ecu, there is always the programmable controllers from megasquirt that allow you to dial in or change any level of ignition and fuel injection control for economy, power, or smoother performance as the case may be. (not add on system but controlling entire process stem to stern).
    This obviously isn't for everyone, for sure the faint of heart that are not wishing to learn everything that you can about this technology and your particular ride.
    Not meant to be a pitch for that product (although affordable enough), but certainly a means to an end. In my case the old air head can do 50-55mpg (Cdn) while venturing into serious turbo boost as the random occasion might present itself. Oilheads are in general much better suited to such a change.
    Sorry if this offends the purist approach, but I decided to let the Genie out.
    Lorne.
    Definitely something I would consider once the bike is running normally. Thanks!
    Rides a 1996 R1100R

Megasquirt has an excellent, but technically deep, website. Have a look and see what you think: http://www.megamanual.com/index.html.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger 04 RT View Post
    Megasquirt has an excellent, but technically deep, website. Have a look and see what you think: http://www.megamanual.com/index.html.
    As mentioned, not for the faint of heart. If a person chooses to enter the Megasquirt (or Microsquirt as in my case) pathway, there are definitely ways to ignore proper procedures and screw things up. On the other hand, the provision of the forums and information provided there and in the various documents and sites, is second to none and a call for help is answered by many that have been there before. Equally, vast advances and improvements in the product have taken place - one will find evidence of the MS components at drag strips, the salt flats, all walks of life actually. The trade off for learning more is however, a very affordable way to take control of ones fuel injection, forced induction, NOX, water injection, traction control, valve timing, even auto transmission ecu replacement. Obviously I'm a dedicated and committed fan and partaker.
    Lorne.

Are the calipers really sticking? When you roll the bike, is there resistance? A little bit of friction when the wheel is off the ground isn't a big deal.

If so, have the pads been changed? Old pads (that have sat for a long time without use) will drag; you have to replace them.
    Anton Largiader 72724
    largiader.com bmwra.org