Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Accessing coolant expansion tank area/removal of plastic panel

Accessing coolant expansion tank area/removal of plastic panel

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding the removal of the plastic panel on the right side that gives access to the expansion tank and radiator fill? I successfully removed the necessary screws and pulled at the panel from above, but the lower contact point is resisting coming out--and I don't want to break anything this soon. Any meaningful suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Harold

BMW Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by HaroldRT09 View Post
    Does anyone have any suggestions regarding the removal of the plastic panel on the right side that gives access to the expansion tank and radiator fill? I successfully removed the necessary screws and pulled at the panel from above, but the lower contact point is resisting coming out--and I don't want to break anything this soon. Any meaningful suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    What bike are you referring to?

The R1200GS water cooled--the newest, 2013 and only water cooled GS.
    Harold

BMW Rider
    The R1200GS water cooled--the newest, 2013 and only water cooled GS.
    You're right. My mistake. I never looked to see what thread I was in. My bad. Apologies given.

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by billy walker View Post
    ...I never looked to see what thread I was in...
    Typical behavior, sorry, couldn't resist the comment for such a prolific poster.

BMW Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by rjzinc View Post
    Typical behavior, sorry, couldn't resist the comment for such a prolific poster.
    You've got me there!

Thanks everyone--it's no big deal. I like to get ahead of the game in the event something goes wrong. I've learned that hard way not force any fitment on the bike, because everything normally fits well. In the meantime, it's another rainy day here in Charleston, so that means another GS day finding mud and such to play in--you gotta love this bike.
    Harold

BMW Rider
    Harold, I looked at a parts book and having never seen the bike in real life I'm not sure which cover you're referring to. Covers that I did find seemed to be held on with either obvious-to-the-eye screws and/or rubber dampers. Why don't you visit Max and look for your cover and maybe that will help you in the removal.

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/fiche.aspx

Have fun muddin'!!

Thanks for the suggestions--good advice. And you have a good one, too.
    Harold

Okay, so here's the deal. I finally learned how to accomplish removing the panel on the right side of my wethead, which gives access to the radiator and expansion tank. There are four panel screws, two visible from the outside and two inside of the panel at the front of the bike. Additionally, is a plastic fastener that holds the lower part of the panel to the frame (that's the tricky one). Depress the center dimpled hole and gently pry it out with a flat head screw driver, or any other similar tool. Once that's done, the panel comes completely off giving free access to the aforementioned items.
    Harold

Okay, so here's the deal. I finally learned how to accomplish removing the panel on the right side of my wethead, which gives access to the radiator and expansion tank. There are four panel screws, two visible from the outside and two inside of the panel at the front of the bike. Additionally, is a plastic fastener that holds the lower part of the panel to the frame (that's the tricky one). Depress the center dimpled hole and gently pry it out with a flat head screw driver, or any other similar tool. Once that's done, the panel comes completely off giving free access to the aforementioned items.
    This is great info! That little plastic b*stard baffled me, too, and since I didn't need to be in there, I left it for another day. So, to clarify, I depress the area in the center of the bolt head while at the same time lifting the head with something under it like a thin screwdriver?
    Eventual Master of the Obvious
    SE Mass - SOHC4 - DoD - BMWMOA - EMOTO #1
    ...proud walking jingle in the midnight sun...
    Free Smugmug Discount Coupon: mStnWv71mNkjo

You are correct--had that explained to me by one of the BMW mechanics. It's always nice to know how to access things, and deal with issue that may arise while out in the boonies. Enjoy the ride
    Harold

You are correct--had that explained to me by one of the BMW mechanics. It's always nice to know how to access things, and deal with issue that may arise while out in the boonies. Enjoy the ride
    Agreed, and thank you so much for posting this VERY useful info!

Quote Originally Posted by EMOTO View Post
    This is great info! That little plastic b*stard baffled me, too, and since I didn't need to be in there, I left it for another day. So, to clarify, I depress the area in the center of the bolt head while at the same time lifting the head with something under it like a thin screwdriver?
    I'm dense. I don't quite understand "press center of head one way while lifting the head the other way". This is a case where a picture might help.

Like you, I haven't needed to get there yet so have ignored the issue. But next week I think will be "wire up electrical farkles" week and will probably need to have most of the plastic (and the tank?) off the bike to figure out my best routing.

Sure do wish the reprom were available.

Quote Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
    I'm dense. I don't quite understand "press center of head one way while lifting the head the other way". This is a case where a picture might help.

Like you, I haven't needed to get there yet so have ignored the issue. But next week I think will be "wire up electrical farkles" week and will probably need to have most of the plastic (and the tank?) off the bike to figure out my best routing.

Sure do wish the reprom were available.
    It is like a plastic nail with the center drilled out. A second piece lives in the area in the center that was drilled out, and when you push it in, it releases the claws on the outer piece. So, you lift it out as you push the center to release it.