Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: K1600GTL Menu button on left handle grip not working correctly

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9

    K1600GTL Menu button on left handle grip not working correctly

    Had the bike into the dealer for replacement of left side scratched panels.............noticed as I rode it home that the menu button didn't pull up all the functions.
    Can't access the GPS or seat and grip heat functions. Checked fuses and looked for loose or unconnected wires, none.
    Dealer is 84 miles south will have to return if no one has any suggestions.......................otherwise what a great ride.

    Thanks

    krisandar

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    69

    Unhappy

    You have unknowingly joined the "Bad Handlebar Switch Club". Welcome to the group.....

    Rick

  3. #3
    Outlander Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    5,911
    Quote Originally Posted by krisandarMOA View Post
    Had the bike into the dealer for replacement of left side scratched panels.............noticed as I rode it home that the menu button didn't pull up all the functions.
    Can't access the GPS or seat and grip heat functions. Checked fuses and looked for loose or unconnected wires, none.
    Dealer is 84 miles south will have to return if no one has any suggestions.......................otherwise what a great ride.

    Thanks

    krisandar
    Welcome to the forum! I recently had an episode on my F800GS where the button was stuck down. I don't know why but as I never change it, it took me a while to figure out. With a shot of Tri-Flow, good to go.
    OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by krisandarMOA View Post
    Had the bike into the dealer for replacement of left side scratched panels.............noticed as I rode it home that the menu button didn't pull up all the functions.
    Can't access the GPS or seat and grip heat functions. Checked fuses and looked for loose or unconnected wires, none.
    Dealer is 84 miles south will have to return if no one has any suggestions.......................otherwise what a great ride.

    Thanks

    krisandar
    When you say can't access gps or heat... can you scroll through the menus and then the rotating switch does not work.
    But does work on other menus?

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadkill601 View Post
    When you say can't access gps or heat... can you scroll through the menus and then the rotating switch does not work.
    But does work on other menus?
    The grey button that has menu printed on it act as follows...............press down for menu, nothing..............press up for favorite and the screen comes up for fuel consumption, temp, tire pressure etc. the screens for heat, ride profile, radio operation etc don't come on............dealer thinks it's the button cluster, I don't think so................of course there aren't any replacements in the US or Germany at this time Big $$$$ for this bike and it's a 1 Mark button that's screwing up the bike,,,,,,,,,,,,,go figure.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9

    Still no replacement left hand switch module

    Quote Originally Posted by krisandarMOA View Post
    The grey button that has menu printed on it act as follows...............press down for menu, nothing..............press up for favorite and the screen comes up for fuel consumption, temp, tire pressure etc. the screens for heat, ride profile, radio operation etc don't come on............dealer thinks it's the button cluster, I don't think so................of course there aren't any replacements in the US or Germany at this time Big $$$$ for this bike and it's a 1 Mark button that's screwing up the bike,,,,,,,,,,,,,go figure.

    HOW CAN A COMPANY LIKE BMW NOT HAVE A SUPPLY OF REPLACEMENT PARTS IN GERMANY OR THE US..............ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY KNOW FULL WELL THEY'RE HAVING PROBLEMS WITH THOSE SPECIFIC PARTS BREAKING DOWN...............................

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9

    Thumbs down

    Quote Originally Posted by krisandarMOA View Post
    HOW CAN A COMPANY LIKE BMW NOT HAVE A SUPPLY OF REPLACEMENT PARTS IN GERMANY OR THE US..............ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY KNOW FULL WELL THEY'RE HAVING PROBLEMS WITH THOSE SPECIFIC PARTS BREAKING DOWN...............................

    Sent the following to BMW...........of course NO RESPONSE

    BMW Motorcycles



    I bought a new 2013 K1600GTL a few months ago..............3 weeks ago the left hand menu button on the left side of the handlebar stopped working correctly and does not appear to be operating if at all.

    I am unable to use the radio, the suspension selection system, the heated seat/hand grip etc. When the menu button is pressed nothing happens, or the computer display just blinks.

    My dealer, Second Wind BMW advises that there are no repair/replacement parts in the US or Germany.

    I AM AT THE POINT OF PLACING PICTURES OF THIS BIKE AND THE ABOVE INFORMATION ON EVERY AND ANY FORUM AVAILABLE TO ME. Clearly I can't ride a $27,000.00 machine that has faulty non operating electronics. This machine would probably fall under the State of New Hampshire Lemon Law.

    Any help from BMW Motorcycles would be appreciated.

    Thank you

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    69
    Do each and every K1600 owner a favor and please let us know who you actually talk to at BMWNA about your problems. It would be nice to have some names of contact individuals. Good luck!!!

    Rick

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •