Thread: GPS Navigator IV install 2006 R1200RT

GPS Navigator IV install 2006 R1200RT

I am working to install a Nav. IV on my 2006 R1200RT. I bought the mount and the cradle and in attempting to hard wire the cradle, I cannot find the supposedly in existance 'plug-in' for switched power. Any help would be appreciated, and thank you.
    Last edited by deilenberger; 07-12-2013 at 04:22 PM. Reason: added year/model to title

Plugs

Pat, I seem to remember reading that in the early model RT's the GPS power plug was pretty well hidden, not out and easily found like it is on later models. I vaguely remember a picture of the plug clipped up behind the right side mirror but I could have dreamed that too.

There is a very long thread about this in another forum at http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59878 . It will take a while to read but as I recall there was information about locating the plug on earlier models too besides all the info on late models. Sorry I could not be of more help, but maybe this will get you closer.
    Bill in Highlands Ranch, CO
    2012 R1200RT and some other older junk

Hidden plug

I will check that out. Thanks for your help.
    I found a connector that I at first thought was just a capped end. The whole piece was zip tied to the subframe and it is taped onto the harness. There are three wires into a black plastic cap on the end.

Pat - I've added the year/model of your hexhead to the thread title in the hope that someone might be able to more accurately guide you. It might also be useful if you added a sig indicating where you're located, there might well be someone near you who can help out.

Please review: http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?46055
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

Quote Originally Posted by patricio66 View Post
    I will check that out. Thanks for your help.
    I found a connector that I at first thought was just a capped end. The whole piece was zip tied to the subframe and it is taped onto the harness. There are three wires into a black plastic cap on the end.
    No question the factory connector comes capped. Remove and dispose of the cap. Should then be easy to determine if the connector on your NAV IV will mate. It's NOT a "generic" connector and if it does fit it WILL be the correct harness to connect to. AFAIK the only other capped/unused connector you may find is one for a second horn, and that connector for sure isn't the same (and has only two wires). Although ... if your bike has factory sound system there could be a second NAV IV connector to that.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Plugged and Powered

Well, I dug back into the area around the steering head and took another look at that connector. I am always a little apprehensive when cutting into a wiring harness, but figured with wires going in and none coming out...
    I cut the tape to remove the connector and sure enough it was a capped end. I plugged the one connector (of two) from the Navigator mount and it works as described.
    As for that second connector for the horn. For uses of driver awareness the horn is laughable, but for animal awareness this thing works great.
    Thanks for the replies.
    Patrick