Thread: Tarnished Reflector on R75/5

Hybrid View

Tarnished Reflector on R75/5

Hi all,

Was replacing the rubber gasket and spring clips on my headlamp today (as well as cleaning the glass) and I noticed that my reflector is starting to tarnish. Is there any-way to clean the reflector? It appears to be a metal reflector, rather than the plastic version that Hucky sells.

If its not cleanable, what would be the proper way to restore this? ie, having the chrome/mirror finish replated?

Cheers,

Jonathan

Maybe gently try 3M rubbing compound or look for a used one in good shape online.
    Ken Tuvman
    Excelsior, MN
    K75s, R65LS, R60/5

Jonathan,

I don't know a way to clean the layer of reflector material. The layer is very thin, and any abrasive (even a relatively mild one, such as rubbing compound) will quickly rub right through it.

I think you have to replace it, either with a good used one or with a more modern one, such as on the R65.
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

Rally Rat

Reflector

Correct on the thin layer going away quickly! If you choose to get a modern, H-4 reflector for an R65, then you also need to get the lens as well. The /5 lens works with the incandescent bulb, but not well with the halogen bulb.
    Boxerbruce

Snowbum mentions using some alcohol mixed with a small amount of detergent and in some water, and using appropriate lint-free cloth, and then flushing with clear water. Not sure this will help with "tarnished" but should help with "dirty".
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Not sure about this one, but on other items I sometimes try a little toothpaste first as it is very mildly abrasive. Try in spot where it won't damage anything good.

Quote Originally Posted by 1074 View Post
    Correct on the thin layer going away quickly! If you choose to get a modern, H-4 reflector for an R65, then you also need to get the lens as well. The /5 lens works with the incandescent bulb, but not well with the halogen bulb.
    I already have an h4 kid/bulb/lens. (Says h4 on the lens).

I'm not sure if it's from a /5 or if it's from an r65. Is there an easy way to tell?

Is this the proper reflector?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-New-Bosc...30983958557%26

Mine looks similar (albeit tarnishing/de-silvering) minus the extra cap/shroud over the headlamp bulb.

Not sure if these will work or not.