Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Superstakes results

3 Red Bricks
    Approx. 6500 tickets were sold. Pretty good odds.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

I think it was around 8300 last year. I feel the MOA isn't going to see that much of a profit if any at all this time. Shame.

Rally Rat
    If 6500 tickets sold, at $100 each, that amounts to $650,000, and the prizes are valued at roughly $275,000, so how are they not making a profit this year? I know they had a good bit of advertising, as you couldn't get away from it in ON, but no profit?

I liked it better the first year when tickets were $20. If you could afford $100 to donate to the MOA Foundation, buy 5 tickets, if you could afford $20, but one. It opened it up to more membership participation, even though it decreased the odds of winning. I understand that the first year with all the varied prizes had to be a nightmare to pull together, and the lure of winning one of 14 new bikes has a lot of draw, just seems that $100 to play is a bit steep.

The other thing I don't like is that even if you win bike #1, your ticket gets thrown back in for the remaining 13 drawings. I realize the odds of winning 2 are pretty high, but really? If you win, take your bike and your ticket and go home.........

I hope you are right, John, but I think MOA realized around $150-175,000 income from last year's raffle, so, a reduction of close to $200,000 in ticket sales must hurt, no?
    I know there were many more smaller prizes last year, from helmets to European M/C tours, but IDK what were prize donations and what we actually paid for.

I also feel that the potential, no matter how small, to win more than once, adds an excitement factor.
    You're thinking from a rational standpoint. If everyone did that, state run lotteries would suffer greatly because many people wouldn't take those odds after thinking rationally.

Last year when there also were smaller prizes, you wouldn't want to win a tire gauge and then be out of the running for the 12 motorcycles, would you?

3 Red Bricks
    Last years tickets also included Rally admission. This years does not. That's over $200,000 more to the MOA.

That would seem to more than make up for the 1800 tickets @ $100 ea. difference.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Thanks Lee. I forgot about that little detail!

Rally Rat
    Depends on how many rally goers had purchased tickets. Either way, it seems the amount that goes to the Foundation should be higher than 50%, unless the advertising and administration really is that high?

What also helped the Foundation is, as I understand it, last year Pandora's in Tenn. supplied the transport trucks and their employees to move the Superstakes bikes around the country and back all for free. I know they're not looking for any recognition, but they should be acknowledged as friends and supporters of the MOA.
    Last edited by ClassicVW; 07-13-2013 at 10:31 PM.

Rally Rat
    Speaking of moving the bikes, how do winners receive them? Not that it matters to me, really, but do they have to go to the MOA headquarters or? I saw in the rules that winners are responsible for taxes and transportation, but to/from where?

ps. One week to find out who 14 very happy people are........

Quote Originally Posted by john1691 View Post
    Speaking of moving the bikes, how do winners receive them? Not that it matters to me, really, but do they have to go to the MOA headquarters or? I saw in the rules that winners are responsible for taxes and transportation, but to/from where?

You mean 13 as I feel that this is my year to win..
    The thing about traveling is, you never want it to end and you can't wait to get home.
    I answer to Roy, Chief, or Sarg.
    04 R-1150-RT current bike. 94 R-1100-RS74,383, Sold, 78 R-80/7, K.I.A by a D.U.I
    www.OceanStateBMWriders.com

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by r11rs94 View Post
    You mean 13 as I feel that this is my year to win..
    So I guess you are already happy?

Quote Originally Posted by john1691 View Post

Here's how it happened for me last year...

A couple of days after the drawing Ted Moyer of the MOA phoned me with congratulations. He said someone from Pandora Motorsports, Chattanooga Tenn would call me to arrange things. The bikes were in Tennessee. (Pandoras handled all the logistics of moving and handling the Superstakes motorcycles for the MOA) Very shortly thereafter, Justin from Pandoras called with his congratulations and we talked for quite a while. I had won the K1300S and I felt it was either too much for me, or not my cup of tea, and since I had owned a couple RTs in the past I was thinking I'd have to take delivery of it and then sell it privately to get an RT. He said no problem, he had 14 new and used RTs in stock and that I should look at them on their website and call them back. I settled on one of his RTs and I received full value of the K1300S in trade. (Full value of what MOA paid for it, not MSRP) They said I could show up and take it, trailer it, fly-in and ride out, or they would ship it to me. Whatever I wanted to do, they would work with me to get it done. I chose to do a fly-in and ride away. I arrived at the airport two hours after the dealership closed. They not only picked me up there, they drove me to the dealership, opened up for me, and delivered the motorcycle to me. This was fantastic as I wanted to get an early start the next morning to ride the 800 miles back to New Jersey. Temporary registration too so I could ride it home. They also took a great deal of time, I was not rushed, as they said they would not let me go until I felt completely comfortable on the RT. Since I was unfamiliar with the area, they insisted I follow them and they led me on their bikes all the way to my hotel before they called it a day and went to their homes.

I can't say enough good things about all the people at Pandoras- (and the MOA too). They made it super easy and treated me like a rock star.

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicVW View Post
    Here's how it happened for me last year...
    Quote Originally Posted by ClassicVW View Post

[Deleted}

I can't say enough good things about all the people at Pandoras- (and the MOA too). They made it super easy and treated me like a rock star.

It's great to hear your story and the efforts Pandora made in your behalf. At the same time, it's disappointing that other dealers (and not just of motorcycles) can't figure out such a simple road to success.

It's my hope that the Superstakes are a success for the Foundation. I wonder what the measure of success is in their eyes? 30% return? 40%? 50%?
    I guess we will have to wait to hear. I would also have liked to have some smaller prizes (tires, helmets, etc.) to spread the joy, not just the 14 lucky ones.

JMO

Quote Originally Posted by redsky49 View Post
    It's my hope that the Superstakes are a success for the Foundation.
    Do all the proceeds of the raffle go to the foundation? Is it a non-profit? If so, would the raffle ticket cost be tax deductible as a charitable contribution (assuming it's not a winning ticket)?

Just wondering...
    1983 R100RS (Sold)
    2004 R1150RT
    BMW MOA 181289
    ABC 13558

Rally Rat
    I don't think so, like any gambling loss it is not a deduction. However, if you win something, you can deduct the cost of the loss (ticket price) from the value of the prize. At least that is how I understand it.

Maybe someone else has better knowledge, I'm sure we have a tax accountant out there somewhere.