Thread: 1991 K100RS front wheel removal

Hybrid View

On the Road

1991 K100RS front wheel removal

I just ordered new tires front and back for my 1991 K100RS as per a previous post. To expedite matters I decided to remove both wheels so when the tires arrived all I needed to do was take the wheels and tires to my local shop for mounting. I've removed the front wheel on my 1985 K100RS several times so I figured it was no big deal.WRONG The front wheel is a 17" three spoke and there is not enough clearance between the disc and wheel to get the calipers off. Clymer doesn't mention this quirk. Am I missing something or do I have to take the discs off the wheel to get the wheel off? Thanks again for all the help offered on this forum.

Rally Rat
    On my K75, after the front calipers are removed from the fork, I just flex the connecting brake line a little to slip the brakes backwards and away from the wheel.

I usually hang the calipers with a bungee cord from the fork tube tops.

After unbolting the calipers from the fork legs, rocking them back-and-forth a bit (while they are still straddling the disk) will push the pistons back in the bores. This will create more clearance to finesse the calipers off the disk without being blocked by the rim.

It is not difficult to damage the brake lines. Make sure you hang the calipers on a piece of wire or bungee or something else; do not let the calipers hang on the brake line.
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

No longer a member here
    Quote Originally Posted by dbrick View Post
    After unbolting the calipers from the fork legs, rocking them back-and-forth a bit (while they are still straddling the disk) will push the pistons back in the bores. This will create more clearance to finesse the calipers off the disk without being blocked by the rim.

That is the trick! The pistons have to be pushed back. It also helps if you remove the pads. But be careful not to push the pistons out.

On the Road
    I have pushed the pistons back to no avail. Still need about 1/2" more to clear the wheel. I will try removing pads and see if that works. Let you all know later today.

Mendocino, CA USA about as far left as you can get in the lower 48
    Wow, I never had such a problem, and I have never removed the pads prior to pulling them off the rotors. Leads me to ask if, after you rock the calipers back and forth, are you then tipping them one at a time, outward to get past the rim? They definitely will never go straight back. As noted, I have never had such an issue with any of my K-Bikes. The calipers always have tipped out and then slid back past the rim.
    Jim Douglas '00 K1200RS >135,000 miles my primary bike again,
    Gone: '09 K1300S sold @ 22k mi, '93 K1100RS traded @ 78k mi, '85 K100RS sold @ 44k mi
    '06 Kaw 650R track bike sold
    http://www.seagullbb.com/