Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 2013 R1200GS head shake

Hammam
    Quote Originally Posted by EMOTO View Post
    Taking your hands off the bars is improper operation. Many, many bikes, brand new out of the crate will do this. (I set up and test rode lots of bikes fresh out of the crate - Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki). Some will not. It is not a problem unless it happens with your hands ON the bars.
    Allow me to challenge all this. First, why is taking your hands off the handlebar "improper operation"? A well balanced motorcycle will let you take off your hands with no drama, for a few seconds of relaxing hands, arms and back, refreshing hands and arms in the wind, changing position in the saddle, or even adjusting a piece of equipment. Second, no serious headshake will suddenly happen ONLY with your hands off the handlebar. It may be under a bit of control with your hands on, but only slightly. Unless you hold the bar in a vise grip, which IS improper operation. And even that will not control any serious headshake at all. A serious handshake will occur even with your hands on the bar anyway.

My riding buddy had the problem from the get go with his spoked wheels LC. They changed his Tourance Next for Continental Trail Attack II. 80% of the problem was solved. The remaining 20% were solved with a tuning of the spokes.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammam View Post
    Allow me to challenge all this. First, why is taking your hands off the handlebar "improper operation"? A well balanced motorcycle will let you take off your hands with no drama, for a few seconds of relaxing hands, arms and back, refreshing hands and arms in the wind, changing position in the saddle, or even adjusting a piece of equipment. Second, no serious headshake will suddenly happen ONLY with your hands off the handlebar. It may be under a bit of control with your hands on, but only slightly. Unless you hold the bar in a vise grip, which IS improper operation. And even that will not control any serious headshake at all. A serious handshake will occur even with your hands on the bar anyway.

My riding buddy had the problem from the get go with his spoked wheels LC. They changed his Tourance Next for Continental Trail Attack II. 80% of the problem was solved. The remaining 20% were solved with a tuning of the spokes.
    Examine any book on how to ride a motorcycle. Audit any course on how to ride a motorcycle. Ask any manufacturer how to ride their motorcycles. All sources will provide the identical answer: Hands on the handlebars.

In my case, this rather obvious tidbit was first offered to me by an instructor at a factory Honda motorcycle mechanic training school in the 1980s. It was given as a response to the very question about the sometimes wobble that bikes can have if you take your hands off the bars.

While it is true that you can sometimes get away with taking your hands off the bars, that does not make it proper operation. Rather, it is more like trick or stunt riding. Some bikes are more forgiving of the practice than others. Anything and everything to do with the chassis, and its condition and adjustment, including tires, and more plays into the equation.

So, it is possible to take steps to lessen what happens, but it is never a problem when the motorcycle is operated properly.
    Eventual Master of the Obvious
    SE Mass - SOHC4 - DoD - BMWMOA - EMOTO #1
    ...proud walking jingle in the midnight sun...
    Free Smugmug Discount Coupon: mStnWv71mNkjo

So, it is possible to take steps to lessen what happens, but it is never a problem when the motorcycle is operated properly.
    You clearly have not experienced this problem. It IS a problem when the "motorcycle is operated properly". The forces causing the shake do not disappear just because I put my hands on the handlebar. The forces are being absorbed by me, the bike, the mirrors. Even though the handlebars aren't shaking, the bike is. The mirrors are blurry; I feel it in my arms, my shoulders, my feet. There is something wrong whether or not the "motorcycle is operated properly".

Quote Originally Posted by bobcowin View Post
    You clearly have not experienced this problem. It IS a problem when the "motorcycle is operated properly". The forces causing the shake do not disappear just because I put my hands on the handlebar. The forces are being absorbed by me, the bike, the mirrors. Even though the handlebars aren't shaking, the bike is. The mirrors are blurry; I feel it in my arms, my shoulders, my feet. There is something wrong whether or not the "motorcycle is operated properly".
    You would be mistaken. I have experienced a wide variety of chassis issues of differing severity. I was responding specifically to the "it does this when I take my hands off the bars" thing. If you are having oscillation of some kind while riding correctly, e.g., with your hands on the bars, that is certainly a problem that you should try to correct.
    Eventual Master of the Obvious
    SE Mass - SOHC4 - DoD - BMWMOA - EMOTO #1
    ...proud walking jingle in the midnight sun...
    Free Smugmug Discount Coupon: mStnWv71mNkjo

My GS came with the Conti Attack tires. It's the first bike I've ever owned that is so stable I can (but don't on a regular basis) take my hands off the grips. No vibration, head shake, drift, etc.
    Dan

Hammam
    Exactly.

Hammam
    You would be mistaken. I have experienced a wide variety of chassis issues of differing severity. I was responding specifically to the "it does this when I take my hands off the bars" thing. If you are having oscillation of some kind while riding correctly, e.g., with your hands on the bars, that is certainly a problem that you should try to correct.
    I do take my hands off the handlebar from time to time for a few seconds, and I have no head shake problem whatsoever. My bike is rock steady. And if my bike had head shake, it wouldn't disappear with my hands on the handlebar. This is irrelevant.

As this has gone on a while- no head shake here.....

"Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

Head Shake

I have an '09 GSA.I was coming back from the Heath Rally and decided to see how fast this baby could go.109 on the GPS and the front end began to shake.I talked to a buddy with the same bike and he said the same thing...head shake at 109.

I was wondering if the bike is still working well with the new tires. I just received my vario cases and have exactly the same problem! I'm expecting a "no problem found" found from my dealer. Do you know of any service number or any document I can point my dealer to, to avoid weeks of going back and forth? Thanks.
    To answer your question, YES my bike works great with the Conti Attacks. I put over 1000 shake free miles on them before I decided I wanted dual sport tires. I recently installed Metzler Karoo 3's and have no head shake whatsoever with these tires either. I honestly believe the original front tire had some type of defect.

On this subject, I found this interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3OQT...ature=youtu.be

I've read with great interest this issue before picking up my new 2013 GS yesterday. It's a demo with 2600 mi on the clock and comes with the Tourance Next tires. I purposefully took it out to highway speed, decreased my grip on the bars and no shake. Didn't happen when I slowed through 70 down to 50 mph either. The front tire, however, made an unholy racket between ca. 57-63 mph. I, too am curious as to why the boys (and girls) in Berlin decided to add a shimmy dampener in the '14 models.

Now where are those farkles....

Best,
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by av8npa View Post
    I've read with great interest this issue before picking up my new 2013 GS yesterday. It's a demo with 2600 mi on the clock and comes with the Tourance Next tires. I purposefully took it out to highway speed, decreased my grip on the bars and no shake. Didn't happen when I slowed through 70 down to 50 mph either. The front tire, however, made an unholy racket between ca. 57-63 mph. I, too am curious as to why the boys (and girls) in Berlin decided to add a shimmy dampener in the '14 models.

Now where are those farkles....

Best,
    Andy
    Shimmy dampener....
    what the fheck?
    MOGB?

Forget the PC... there's no girls involved.
    And if there are, they're women, not girls.

You own one right, a LC R1200GS?
    And you've seen the U-tube of the handlebars oscillating right?
    I don't own one yet.... but I tested three. They were all non-ESA. As I understand it, the stock / non ESA suspension bikes all were set in Dynamic Ride Mode. The only mode available on those demo bikes. VERY responsive throttle. That, combined with a VERY light steering front end feel made me nervous to whack the throttle open in any gear at nearly any speed. Felt we were gonna go airborne TOO easily with the front end.
    Seemed like you'd need to put 200 pounds, and I don't mean Brit currency, on the rear rack of any other bike I've ever owned to make it feel as light.
    That's why the shimmy dampener.

Now, we gotta go light up Syria. To save them from the President that the majority seem to like, in favor of the rebels, who it appears are mostly from out of town.
    Ultimately, we have Whoppers w-cheese, Taxpayer subsidized Chevys and Coca -Cola to sell over there.
    Call it the Arab Fall.

Enjoy yo ride....

My curmudgeon humor for the day.

d'milan

Forgive the vernacular. I fly Cessnas, and the 'shock absorber' mounted to the front wheel (which strangely is identical to those thingys on the front forks of many road bikes) are called shimmy dampeners. You know when one goes TU....the front of the plane shakes like hell on taxi. But I've yet to find a pilot that calls it a tank slapper

And yes, I've seen the YouTube video of the oscillation.

I've owned it for 24h...we'll see what the future brings!

-a.

Quote Originally Posted by dmilan View Post
    Shimmy dampener....
    what the fheck?
    MOGB?

Forget the PC... there's no girls involved.
    And if there are, they're women, not girls.

You own one right, a LC R1200GS?
    And you've seen the U-tube of the handlebars oscillating right?
    I don't own one yet.... but I tested three. They were all non-ESA. As I understand it, the stock / non ESA suspension bikes all were set in Dynamic Ride Mode. The only mode available on those demo bikes. VERY responsive throttle. That, combined with a VERY light steering front end feel made me nervous to whack the throttle open in any gear at nearly any speed. Felt we were gonna go airborne TOO easily with the front end.
    Seemed like you'd need to put 200 pounds, and I don't mean Brit currency, on the rear rack of any other bike I've ever owned to make it feel as light.

Now, we gotta go light up Syria. To save them from the President that the majority seem to like, in favor of the rebels, who it appears are mostly from out of town.
    Ultimately, we have Whoppers w-cheese, Taxpayer subsidized Chevys and Coca -Cola to sell over there.
    Call it the Arab Fall.
    So forget shimmy dampeners....

Enjoy yo ride....

My curmudgeon humor for the day.

d'milan

A steering damper will be standard on the 2014 models. Guess that says something about the issue.

BMW R 1200 GS.
    As of model year 2014 the BMW R 1200 GS will be available with the following altered standard features and options:

The two modes "Rain" and "Road", along with ASC as standard.
    New "Pro" mode with three additional riding modes "Dynamic", "Enduro" and "Enduro Pro", including harmonised ASC and ABS as an optional extra.
    Dynamic ESA can now be ordered separately, independently of the riding modes.
    The existing five modes are no longer available as an optional extra.
    Steering damper as standard.
    White-coated coil springs with the option Dynamic ESA
    Altered features for the package options "Dynamic Performance", "Comfort" and "Touring".
    All options can now be ordered separately except for the on-board computer Pro.
    Paul Mulhern
    MOA# 56330
    '05 1200GS Big Blue