Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 103

Thread: Msrp ?

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    48

    Msrp ?

    I am looking at. 2013 R1200R

    Dealer told me that while the side bags are included by BMW, the dealer has to take a hit on them and they therefore do not have room for movement off of MSRP ?

    If I buy new what should I expect to pay ?

    Are there any MOA discounts ?

  2. #2
    Sign Guy Bdiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Everett, WA
    Posts
    247

    Cool

    Ask the dealer if he has to take a hit on parts when you need to purchase those to? I'd be happy to pay MSRP for my parts but it seems they all charge more for every part I've purchased in the past 7-8 yrs from a variety of dealers and in different states.

    I would call a few other dealers and ask for prices on the same bike & setup. It can't hurt and if another dealer gives you a better price you can break it in on the way home! Also ask if they can toss anything in (helmet, gloves, t-shirt, discount for something)? Never hurts to ask but I wouldn't low ball as I hate folks doing that to me.

    Best of luck on your bike hunting and purchase.
    Brian - Everett, WA
    www.pdq-signs.com
    99 R1100RT - Got Kewl-Aid? IBA - SS1K's, BBG
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left!

  3. #3
    Registered User k12lts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    108
    There is a $500 MOA club discount thru July 31.

    There are plenty of dealers that will discount from MSRP, there just may not be one near you. Call around and find out.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    1,188
    Where are you located?
    '14 R1200RT
    MOA #46783

  5. #5
    Registered User lkraus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    352
    There a lot of threads about negotiating the price on a new BMW. It seems current model year bikes usually go for list price. There are often monthly BMW promotions, such as the current one that adds a set of side cases to the R1200R at no charge. I've seen promotions reduce new bike prices by $1000, but only for prior year models. Sometimes you can save a bit if the dealer has a demo bike available for sale, but I don't think the demo bikes are eligible for the monthly promotions. You will probably have better luck negotiating a discount on other accessories, or a free 600mi service.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    mashpee, Ma
    Posts
    29
    Based on 35 yrs in the automobile business [wholesale & retail] I do know that most incentives require dealer financial participation. It can be substantial. It's dealer choice if they will give further discount, usually based on availability. On my R1200R purchase 2 yrs ago I found that making a deal including a 20% discount on accessories at the time of the intial purchase worked. Dealer and buyer have to have a win/win situation. My most important part of any deal is my impression on how future service will be. You'll love the R1200R!
    Janda
    2011 R1200R

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    1,188
    Not knowing where you're located limits suggestions. I can tell you Max BMW (3 locations) in New England will give you an excellent quote. I have no connection with them other than purchasing several bikes from them over the last 6 years. I live in Indiana and it is worth the trip to New York. Also, there are dealers in Chicago, Indy and Michigan that will deal below MSRP. Shop around and be willing to make a road trip for it...you may save hundreds or even a couple of thousand dollars...it is possible.

    I just purchased a 2013 R1200RT with three quotes, those three quotes ranged from $1,000 off (plus the current MOA $750.00 rebate on RTs) to $2,500 off....BUT MIND YOU, I DID NOT WANT THE TANK BAG OR TRUNK CASE (current BMW promotion for that model)! Naturally, not wanting those options made a difference, but the $2,500 deal was certainly far better than the "free" options (in your case panniers). Of course, in some sense the RT is an outgoing model as new water head will be coming (but I'm not a first couple of years new model buyer when it comes to BMW). The R model has been around for a while and not their leading sales model, assume some dealer will give you a "good" quote. Good luck.
    Last edited by Motodan; 07-08-2013 at 11:17 AM.
    '14 R1200RT
    MOA #46783

  8. #8
    BMW Rider
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    750
    Quote Originally Posted by lkraus View Post
    There a lot of threads about negotiating the price on a new BMW. It seems current model year bikes usually go for list price. There are often monthly BMW promotions, such as the current one that adds a set of side cases to the R1200R at no charge. I've seen promotions reduce new bike prices by $1000, but only for prior year models. Sometimes you can save a bit if the dealer has a demo bike available for sale, but I don't think the demo bikes are eligible for the monthly promotions. You will probably have better luck negotiating a discount on other accessories, or a free 600mi service.
    Demo's are not part of an end-user promotion as you state. A dealer will get a discount in order to purchase a demo but there are rules associated with that purchase. I was witness to a few variances of the rules (model dependent) as stated by NA but basically they state the dealer is required to use the bike as a demo for "x" period of time and/or miles. Although the dealer will get a discount the demo is obviously going to have miles on it and therefore will typically become far more price negotiable from an end-user point of view. NA recognizes that fact and provides a discount to the dealer. Nothing huge but it reflects the drop in perceived value from an end-user point of view.

  9. #9
    No longer a member here
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,432
    Considering the lower return BMW does have as a manufacturer from selling motorcycles in the U.S., I understand the dealers' predicament. The margins must be really small and hardly allow for discounts.
    The motorcycles sell for less in the U.S. than they do in Germany, Dollar for Euro.
    And unlike Harley Davidson dealers, BMW dealers do not have the opportunity to compensate by selling "lifestyle" merchandise.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    1,188
    I wouldn't classify wholesale to retail markup for BMW products as "really small"...they are ample. And no dealership stands on new bike (net) profits alone. An expected business plan has separate profit targets across the brand's product line. Plus, the bonus arrangement with BMWNA can be a pretty good incentive to get product out the door. If a dealer tells you he can't take $500.00 or more off the MSRP, even when there are additional manufacture supported incentives available....he's just saying he doesn't want to, for any number of reasonable reasons. One being sales are booming and he doesn't think he needs to discount to be competitive in the marketplace. Some dealers (one I mentioned in an earlier post) has a different business model and seeks to be a price leader. Anyway, there are different pricing (selling) arrangements out there....you just need to decide which fits your desires.
    '14 R1200RT
    MOA #46783

  11. #11
    Registered User 36654's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    1,644
    Quote Originally Posted by Motodan View Post
    I wouldn't classify wholesale to retail markup for BMW products as "really small"...they are ample. And no dealership stands on new bike (net) profits alone. An expected business plan has separate profit targets across the brand's product line. Plus, the bonus arrangement with BMWNA can be a pretty good incentive to get product out the door. If a dealer tells you he can't take $500.00 or more off the MSRP, even when there are additional manufacture supported incentives available....he's just saying he doesn't want to, for any number of reasonable reasons. One being sales are booming and he doesn't think he needs to discount to be competitive in the marketplace. Some dealers (one I mentioned in an earlier post) has a different business model and seeks to be a price leader. Anyway, there are different pricing (selling) arrangements out there....you just need to decide which fits your desires.
    As the consumer, your job is to get the best price to maximize the value of your income.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

  12. #12
    No longer a member here
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,432
    Quote Originally Posted by Motodan View Post
    I wouldn't classify wholesale to retail markup for BMW products as "really small"...they are ample. .
    Do you know that? Elaborate, please. What, for example, is the difference between dealer net and retail for a bike that's, let's say, has $15,000 MRSP.

  13. #13
    Survivor akbeemer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Land of the Big Sky
    Posts
    3,846
    When I bought an R1200R in 2009 I got 14% off MSRP as well as free luggage and mounts. I'm quite certain the dealer did not lose money on the deal.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Posts
    645
    Sorry, but no one, even the smartest of the smart here on this forum can definitively say "You should pay no more than $XX,XXX." Every deal is different, every buyer is different, and the same bike sold by the same dealer in August may very well be a different price as one sold in March.

    Good advice to call a few dealers and ask. Good ones that I know of are- Max, (NY/CT/NH) Bob's,(MD) Morton's (VA) and Pandora (TENN).
    But, having been in the new car business, NO ONE is going to go out of their way to give a phone shopper a great deal. Only when you are sitting across the desk from them is when they'll take you seriously as a potential buyer.

    Also, dealer stock means a lot. Dealer "A" may have two RTs in stock and may not feel a need to give as deep a discount as Dealer "B" who has 11 in stock. I've been treated REALLY well and fairly by Pandoras and can't say enough good things about them..

  15. #15
    BMW Rider
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    750
    Quote Originally Posted by EMSimon View Post
    Do you know that? Elaborate, please. What, for example, is the difference between dealer net and retail for a bike that's, let's say, has $15,000 MRSP.
    Dealer net would be approximately $12,750 plus or minus.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •