Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Harbor Freight Motorcycle Lift debate thread

BMW Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    There was some problems with the split up, but the other thread was all about the Harbor Freight lift. The poster who started the most recent round of the HF lift wanted to know how it rolled around...that was the basis of his post. But when that thread got into a debate about quality versus cost and "you get what you pay for", it was best that that kind of discussion be moved off on its own. That's how we got here!
    What triggered this on my end was looking at the very first post for whatever reason from 3 1/2 years ago. Other than mentioning a sale on Harbor Freight lifts I assumed wrong. You know what happens then. I assumed the content was more lift-related as opposed to Harbor Freight lift-related. My bad and therefore under those conditions an inappropriate suggestion was made. My apologies to all. There was zero intention to start a 2nd thread and the post I made was only made to show a possible alternative lift as I thought it might be helpful to those in the market. And it consisted of a single line followed by a web address.

What can I say? No one ever accused me of being the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Billy -

I just paged through the entire thread. I didn't see any serious mentions of other lifts...the thread is really all about the HF lift as bought by users in that 3-1/2 years and mods they've done to them. So, my read, it's not a general thread about lifts. I've seen from time to time, someone resurrect a thread that's more than just a few years old...that didn't happen here, of course. But you gotta think that if no one's really posted in that given thread in a long time, more than likely everyone's moved on. In the HF thread, though, it comes back from time to time when a sale is on.

So, given that, I think it's best to let the HF thread continue and we can discuss alternatives here. We tend to not get into thread degradation around here...I've seen it on other forums and, personally, I don't like it. Sometimes it's natural, but if things get that far off track, it really hurts the original poster(s) and also the later searching for pertinent material.

So, alternate motorcycles lifts.....Discuss!
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

I think for most the option is HF or no lift, and at $299 (always on sale if you get ANY motorcycle magazines or buy one at a grocery store) it's very attractive. I know I almost bought one 3-4 times, and if I hadn't gotten an unexpected bonus at work, I would've probably never pulled the trigger on the handy.

The one thing I've noticed is that now that I have a lift I have a bike on it ALOT, doing maint on my bikes, helping others, even just general cleaning of a bikes nether regions on a rainy day.

For reference, I've got a handy SAM2, and I think with tax, freight, etc it was right at 1400 - so comparing to HF lift is a pretty unfair comparison IMHO.

Then there's DIY...

"It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

"Running Out The Clock" grafikfeat's Avatar

Enduser Use.

Reading through all this my conclusion is that if I'm working on my bike once a month cleaning or maintenance I'd use a HF lift.
    If I were using a lift in any kind of business setting I would not "cheap out". If only for insurance reasons. I'd sure hate to drop a bike from 3 feet.

My R1200C comes in at 560# wet... A 1000 pound rated lift would suffice for the amount of use it would "suffer".
    "Stupidity, if left untreated, is self-correcting."

Quote Originally Posted by lmo1131 View Post
    Then there's DIY...
    Lew, very nice work. As a fellow woodworker, I applaud that quality build.
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

Another DIY worktable option

Name:  AUT_1050.jpg
Views: 1383
Size:  66.3 KB

Nice design, the sides fold for storage and the ramp stows inside.

But I've got to admit, the idea of rolling my RT up there by myself is kind of scary...
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

Summer in Lakes Region of NH and winter in the Sonoran Desert of AZ

Having both...

Having both a DIY bench with ramp and a H-F lift I can tell you for me they meet different purposes and I use them for different projects. The home-made stand is great to do a long project/restoration on. I currently have a 1959 R60 on it and it will probably be there for a few more months. I have storage below it and my tool chest beside it. Handy. It is on castors and has tie downs so the bike cannot fall even with BOTH tires removed as they are now. The harbor Freight lift is newer to me and is handy for lots of smaller maintenance work. I just used it for two weeks as a bench to glue up cabinet doors for the kitchen. I then rolled my old Honda CT90 onto it to do some electrical work and fluid changes. One great difference is that the DIY lift really needs another person to help push up a full sized bike and the HF lift is a one person push-on then lift. I got one for the $299 and it is really well made, straight and true (cabinet doors are flat) and works faultlessly. I topped up the Hydraulic cylinder with Hyd. oil, greased it and it is a great product. +++ recommendation
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2002 F650GS, 1998 R1100R 75th anniversary edition, 1983 R80RT (just sold), 1959 R60 (in restoration), Honda CT90
    If you must make a mistake, make a new one each time.

CT 90
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    CT 90
    I have one too...a 1971. Nice little bike but it needs some work...burns more oil than gas. One of these days I'll get a round tuit and do a ring & valve job on it.

Also have an HF lift...great tool for no more than I use it.
    1983 R100RS (Sold)
    2004 R1150RT
    BMW MOA 181289
    ABC 13558

Quote Originally Posted by rdhudson View Post
    One great difference is that the DIY lift really needs another person to help push up a full sized bike and the HF lift is a one person push-on then lift.
    Line up the lifts, raise the bike on the HF and then roll it onto the DIY stand?
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar

Option for Canadians

I saw this lift in the local Princess Auto store shown here: http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/M...Lift/8133860.p

It looks very similar to te Harbor Frieght item - but the price at $600 (CAN) is relatively more. I wonder if it ever goes on sale?
    Ken
    [2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blue) - Mine]
    [2007 R1200RT (Sand Biege) - Hers]

I've seen that lift on sale in the Brandon MB store but the price has never been as low as the $300.00 Harbor Freight cupons that show up in bike magazines If I remember right the sale price was still about five hundred (Cdn).

central wisconsin along the wisconsin river
    I have a 329.99 $ coupon for a harber freight motorcycle lift if anyone out there wants it PM me with your address and i'll sent it to you.

never mind
    Last edited by brewmeister; 08-28-2013 at 04:36 AM.
    81 R100RT

"Running Out The Clock" grafikfeat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brewmeister View Post
    I have a 329.99 $ coupon for a harber freight motorcycle lift if anyone out there wants it PM me with your address and i'll sent it to you.
    PM Sent...
    "Stupidity, if left untreated, is self-correcting."