Thread: The Lincoln Highway - Times Square to Lincoln Park in San Fran the old fashioned way

BMW Rider

The Lincoln Highway - Times Square to Lincoln Park in San Fran the old fashioned way

Not sure if I've ever heard of this "highway" but apparently this was the way across America back in the day. The New York Times has a story on the Lincoln Highway this morning and I have included the link below:

http://travel.nytimes.com/2013/07/07....html?src=dayp

Cal
    The Lincoln Highway was Ike's inspiration for creating the Interstate system during his presidency. He was ordered to take a detachment of soldiers across the country using this road; it took close to 6 months. Later on a trip to Germany with some more soldiers he realized how fast you could travel on the autobahn. He was convinced!
    Cal Garcia
    Suches, GA

I picked up a book about the Lincoln Highway a few years ago - a good read. IIRC, when Eisenhower went across the country, it was not so much ON the road as it was to build it. They were tasked with creating the first continous cross-country route. I was excited to ride some of it on the way to the rally in Bend and get my picture taken beside a couple of the monuments. Sadly, vandals have stolen the bronze Lincoln medallions from several of them, though we did see some that were intact.

BMW Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by clowry View Post
    I picked up a book about the Lincoln Highway a few years ago - a good read. IIRC, when Eisenhower went across the country, it was not so much ON the road as it was to build it. They were tasked with creating the first continous cross-country route. I was excited to ride some of it on the way to the rally in Bend and get my picture taken beside a couple of the monuments. Sadly, vandals have stolen the bronze Lincoln medallions from several of them, though we did see some that were intact.
    That's exactly why you chop off their hands with an ax.

Yes
    It has always been there. There have been tv shows about it. And books. And maps.
    I started riding it as a kid with my parents.
    Well, I guess it has been there since 1913 or so.
    And I think like the similarly touted Route 66, covered in some places by other roads, but probably less covered or rerouted than Route 66.
    dc

Quote Originally Posted by Cal View Post
    The Lincoln Highway was Ike's inspiration for creating the Interstate system during his presidency. He was ordered to take a detachment of soldiers across the country using this road; it took close to 6 months. Later on a trip to Germany with some more soldiers he realized how fast you could travel on the autobahn. He was convinced!
    US 2, 6, 30 and 40 were the major east - west routes prior the Interstates. In that day, going anywhere far, was best done on a train.

Yes, the Autobahn and Autostrada were the basis for the Interstate system and it's funding was only approved as a Cold War defense need for mobilization.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744