Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Are our bikes that good?

Thanks for the good wishes. I'm sure I can get it in shape with some time and $- whether the result will be fully satisfactory only time will tell. I knew wht I was getting into when I bought it.

Yes, the current RT (actually hexhead onward) had all that stuff as stock or option and its all on mine. But I don't care about any of it. Rarely use a heated seat though the grips get used a lot, cruise control rarely just to shake hands out because on cruise delays reactions and is an automatic safety hazard IMO, ESA is mostly useful for constant swaps between 2 up and solo so rarely gets used (will be Hyperpro on mine eventually), and there is no need for any pad inspection holes, marked pins or whatever when one can so easily see the linings directly. To me the big advantage of the R1200 over the R1150 is weight reduction and power increase/better running with the more advanced engine controls. The cases are a bit better also. The waterboxer RT should be a similar step forward when/if all the reliability stuff gets sorted. The early year model problems are a direct result of failure to build and test enough pre production bikes to find the issues before foisting them off on early adopter enthusiasts. Ever hear of J brand model with as many issues as new BMWs, at least since the days of the first Honda V-4s?? (But I seriously hate J brand assembly methods with poor body panel fits (ask any Goldwing owner), crappy JIS screws into nutted rubber fasteners, failure to even attempt weight reduction except on sport bikes, etc etc, not to mention their general lack of creativity since Sochiro Honda died...

No, they are not that good.....worst BMW I've owned from a reliability perspective

I do love this bike when it is not breaking.

Here is what's been replaced in the 55K miles of ownership:
    1. Air box
    2. Fuel pump assembly - leaking bung in the fuel bulkhead
    3. Ball joints -upper and lower failed
    4. Brake line recall
    5. Cam chain, sprockets, guides and new tensioner
    6. O2 sensor - fouled
    7. 2 out 4 stick coils - gone bad had all 4 replaced for good measure
    8. Front wheel ABS sensor failure
    9. Complete ABS pump failure - this just happened a few weeks ago

Total cost >$5500

On top to that the clutch sucks. I've learned to work around it but my 18 year old R1100RSL has a better box and clutch than the K12GT does.

Great bike when it is running, but a very poor combination of design and material failure will leave a stain on the reputation of this short lived K12/13GT family.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by limecreek View Post
    I do love this bike when it is not breaking.

On top to that the clutch sucks. I've learned to work around it but my 18 year old R1100RSL has a better box and clutch than the K12GT does.

Great bike when it is running, but a very poor combination of design and material failure will leave a stain on the reputation of this short lived K12/13GT family.

Cheers!
    +1!!

Very disappointed that BMW never went to bat for the many owners of these bikes. I replaced the air box on my K1200S, bought a GT with the air box/stepper motor already done, only to have the '08 replacement fail as well. This will be my last K-bike, possibly my last BMW. My friends are switching to Yamaha, Kawasaki, even Triumph and having none of the issues I/they have had with BMW.
    john1691
    2006 KTM 950 Super Moto

So far, all is well. Bought mine w/ 40k - was a manufacturer's buyback. Apparently, all the 'issues' were resolved when this bike was returned for sale. The clutch does squeal a little bit, not bothered by that. Seems the most likely issue I will face could be the final drive failure; the P.O. did change the fluid twice, according to the maintenance log in the owners manual. It does suffer from the 'hot engine weak start' dilemma; but I'm not overly concerned. I will follow the recommended maintenance schedule, and hope for the best - you gotta pay to play.
    Greg / 53046
    '07 K12GT