Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Bringing a 2007 R1200RT-P back to life

Sounds Like A Good Deal!

if it's got a clean history, I'll bet it will be a great find for you. FYI, there was a recall for what's called the "ring antenna" which is part of the security system for the bike. That may have been done. Also, there was a recall for some brake lines which I believe went into effect while the bike was sitting idle.

Another thing you might need to know is that BMW changed over the braking system on the RT (dunno if on the RT-P) between the 2007 and 2008 models. The later models don't have a servo-assisted system (sometimes referred to as "the whizzy brakes"). The older system was a little more complicated and required more steps for maintenance. A&S should know about that. Also, I believe the RT-P has two batteries, but also a fan behind the oil cooler which is thermostatically-activated. Finally, BMW changed the required amount of fluid in the Final Drive...I believe the new amount is 180cl. Again, A&S will know.

I hope it works out for you...
    John Gamel
    2008 Kalahari Beige R1200RT
    LEOSA Certified

Quote Originally Posted by danix View Post
    For example here is a 2008 with 39k miles coming up in Brea - has new clutch and transmission (frankly not sure if that's a good or bad sign)
    That's a good sign in my opinion. Police bikes go through clutches much faster than civilian bikes, especially if the bike was used during any motor officer schools. Even at 18k miles, I would check the clutch on the bike you're picking up as well and not be surprised if it needs to be replaced sooner than you might expect.

Sounds like you got a good deal though, post a picture when it's officially yours!
    Craig
    New York's Hudson Valley Region
    2009 R1200RT
    MOA #146131 IBA #55715

Still plays with trains. tinytrains's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ClassicVW View Post
    Really?
    Yes, I agree if the bike's book value is only $500. But if that's really their general policy, I wouldn't trust them for anything.
    Their issue is people buy a parked bike for a song thinking they are getting a bargain, then have fit when they get a bill for a new BMW fuel system, plus whatever else it needs. They are a small shop, and are rather selective about what what they work on. I was just pointing out that these things can be a bargain, but you really have to watch what you are getting into.
    1988 K75 Low Seat
    2009 R1200R Roadster

OK, now I follow now that you clarified it further. People bringing in their low priced "one of a kind deals and steals" that they found. Your first comment related that they wouldn'y touch ANY bike that had been sitting for a year.

Made payment, coordinating pickup/inspection now. Fingers crossed.

If you need a battery, I got two working ones you could use.
    Nate R
    2013 R1200RT 90th - "Tyr" - Purchased 12/13/2013 brand new!
    2007 R1200S - "Sexy Beast"
    2006 R1200RT "Wōden" - 84k - Retired and sold

Darn, thanks, just ordered one from Amazon, came fully charged.
    Right now looks like the tow guy is picking up the bike tomorrow, and I'm hoping to Amtrak up to A&S on Saturday morning to pick up, that's assuming they can get it running and safe in a day. I'm asking them to leave the basic stuff for me to do.

I drove up and saw it yesterday (and dropped off the battery). A&S can't get to it until Tuesday unfortunately.
    It looks pretty good (they said it looks better than another auction bike that just came through).
    Decals look like they were removed with a screwdriver (!) but otherwise it's pretty straight.
    Tires look good, etc. Just gotta be patient...rtp.jpg

Hoping to have it on Friday. Inspection finally happened, it's fine other than some normal maintenance stuff which is to be expected.

Just to close the thread, I've got the bike home and spent most of Sunday doing maintenance type work.
    For anyone considering purchasing one of these, I suggest the following:
    • go see the bike if you can pre-purchase
    • contact the local dealer with the VIN and see if they will run a history for you
    • factor in repair costs into your overall purchase. A neglected RT can run you north of $2k in repairs if you can't DIY
    • check accident history with agency, dealer and cyclechek.