Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: A pleasant little trip

P Monk

fairings

I really think back in the 70's everyone went a little dresser nuts. It was a fad, and I had to have a luftmeister on my /6. But these bikes are really not big enough to make them into a "dresser". I think the fairing is what caused me to lose interest in the bike. I bought a Goldwing, and sold it very soon because it just didn't handle like the /6. Then there were several HD dressers, one of which I still regret getting rid of.

When I bought another /6 I wanted to stay pretty basic with just a windshield, but I am seriously thinking about a Parabellum Scout. I love the look. They are not heavy. But that is a lot of money to spend on a bike that I couldn't sell for 1/3 of what I have invested.

But then I am never going to sell this one, so what does another $800 matter??????????????????????
    P. Monk
    My prized possessions. 74 R90/6 Mine! (also know by bride as the Black Hole). 09 R1200 GS. My wife, 1953 model who has survived aplastic anemia and a bone marrow transplant. My most prized possession is my relationship with Jesus!

Yeah, it seems that when the Vetter fairings came out, I saw a lot of them on various bikes. I even put a Windjammer III on my '74 Kaw Z-1. Looking at the old photos, it probably didn't do too much to enhance the bike's appearance, but it sure did extend my riding season at both ends.

If I ever get an Airhead, it will be a 100RT, and I will leave the fairing on. I happen to like the looks of it.

Cool Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

I had a vetter on my old /5 swb and thought it was beautiful. It worked well for me for many thousands of miles. I had a cafe faring on my old r90s and of course it was beautiful and my r100rs full faring is the most beautiful of all.

I won't attempt to teach anyone manners here; I tried that once before and got attacked.

DW
    1978 R100rs MOA#22600 125cc Kymco
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.

Just a thought...

The RT/RS fairings are state of the art. That having been said you should look into Hannigan Fairings. They are probably one of the best/most functional fairings on the market.

Looking at the old photos, it probably didn't do too much to enhance the bike's appearance, but it sure did extend my riding season at both ends.
    I'm not so sure that back in the seventies it was so much a fad as it was the realization that you didn't have to freeze your tucus off while riding. I think it went hand-in-hand with the recent release of the 750 Honda; more people were beginning to ride, more people were riding farther, and came to realize a desire to be more comfortable. The extra storage was handy too. There were other frame mounted fairings, Vetter just happened to be first in the category.

The WJ was not the perfect solution, but nothing ever is, to every person.
    Last edited by lmo1131; 07-06-2013 at 07:51 PM.
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

P Monk

fad

I would agree that up north probably Not so much a fad, But we were doing it here in the hot south where wind is your friend.

I have always admired the RS bikes looks but not necessarily the riding position.
    Last edited by dpmonk; 07-06-2013 at 05:37 PM. Reason: more
    P. Monk
    My prized possessions. 74 R90/6 Mine! (also know by bride as the Black Hole). 09 R1200 GS. My wife, 1953 model who has survived aplastic anemia and a bone marrow transplant. My most prized possession is my relationship with Jesus!

Quote Originally Posted by lmo1131 View Post
    I'm not so sure that back in the seventies it was so much a fad as it was the realization that you didn't have to freeze your tucus off while riding.
    Quote Originally Posted by dpmonk View Post
    I would agree that up north probably Not so much a fad

I agree as well. I didn't buy it because it was fad; I live in NW PA and I wanted to ride earlier and later in the season than I was able. With it I remember riding when it got down around 25 degs. Of course, I was only 20 yrs old at the time. And I have to clarify - I said it probably did little to enhance the bike's look, but I was thinking about other people's opinion of it. Personally, I liked it.