Thread: Tent recommendations

Tent recommendations

Currently have a couple of tents that don't have very short poles when collapsed.

I'm going to be going to the Salty Fog next month and will be doing a lot of camping. I need a tent that packs small (18" in length or less).

Anyone have recommendations?
    Ride Well, Ride Often, Ride to

Charter Member "High Town" crew.

BMW Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by sibud View Post
    Currently have a couple of tents that don't have very short poles when collapsed.

I'm going to be going to the Salty Fog next month and will be doing a lot of camping. I need a tent that packs small (18" in length or less).

Anyone have recommendations?
    http://shop.redverz.com/products/Ser...52d-Green.html

if a 9x21 packed size will work.

This tent has some very good things to say for it.

Thanks Billy.
    Ride Well, Ride Often, Ride to

Charter Member "High Town" crew.

Smile

Try the Redverz, lots of room, packs small, double wall. I bought mine at Sedalia, best tent I've ever owned.

RIDE SAFE
    Cave Contents: 1980 R100RT/Ural Sidecar, 2004 R1200CLC, 2006 HD FSXTI
    Ride Safe

Bud,

Julie and I bought the Redverz last year. Several friends already had one (both the first model and the current model). It packs down a bit smaller than our 4 person Eureka...including the Redverz rain fly. Nice to have built in shade with the garage area. We no longer pack the MSR Parawing. Having watched the setup and tear down video numerous times, I can set and pack this tent (by myself) quicker than the Eureka. All of my buds with this tent travel solo. Of course there are lots of good tents from Full Throttle Camping and REI. See you down the road.
    Chuck Manley #12106
    2012 Howlin' at the Moon Rally Chair
    Ambassador, Knights of the Roundel #333, IBA Member, Life Member NRA
    Black '13 R12GSA (the Outlaw), Black '02 K12RS (157K)

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Pack size 18x5, aluminum poles. I have an earlier version that I've used for several years. http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___28963

The 3 person version is 18 x 6.5 inches.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

You might be able to expand your options by packing poles and tent separately.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

I got a new Eureka! Intorrest 2 on ebay for $70, (retails for $179). Packs down to 6 1/2"x16", though the stuff sack is actually about 20" long, so it fits the foot print as well. Full rain fly, aluminum poles, 2 doors/vestibules, top vents and plenty of storage pockets. They do not make a foot print for it, but the REI Half Dome 2 is the same size, so I was able to get a foot print from them. The height isn't as tall as some, but the design keeps the width fairly full all the way up. It is a new design, so not many reviews on it yet, but I am very happy with it so far. Have not been in a heavy rain with it yet, we'll see.......
    john1691
    2006 KTM 950 Super Moto

I have several tents, but usually take the Eureka Apex on the bike....especially when weight and size are an issue.

The tent packs to 5" x 16" and weighs only 4.3 lbs.

I spend as little time in the tent as possible...basically a place to sleep.

I can put the tent, a couple small inflatable pillows, a sleeping bag liner, a full size bed sheet, an inflatable ground pad, a small hammer and a tiny battery powered fan in a medium dry bag that is easy to secure to the bike. Everything I need to set up camp is in one place. If the tent is wet when time to break camp, I put it in a plastic bag to keep the other stuff dry.

Eureka makes more than one size of the Apex...I have the smallest. When I bought it it was rated for 2 people. In my opinion there is just enough room for one overweight old guy like me.

It can be purchased for about $80.

Minimal size and minimal comfort and space. But it will keep you dry.
    George
    K1200RS, K1200LT, R80RT, R100R, R75/5