Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 77 r100rs best tires

I've heard Heidenau are good tires for an older Airhead. Interested to know why.
    Ken Tuvman
    Excelsior, MN
    K75s, R65LS, R60/5

Some people are raving about these:

http://www.conti-online.com/www/moto...attack_en.html

Would be curious to know if anybody here has tried them.

I'm currently running Spitfire S11s. Good tires IMHO. Better than the Metzlers they replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by kentuvman View Post
    I've heard Heidenau are good tires for an older Airhead. Interested to know why.
    I think because they're have the period correct look, are reasonably priced, come in inch sizes, and perform fairly well.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

I ride on a lot of dirt back roads so I went with the old school Dunlop K70's. And yes, the old school looks. They preform well enough but looking at the rear....maybe I'll get 5k mi. out of it. Front will most likely go twice that.
    May try the Heidenau next.

Bill Clark

Just made the leap to Pirelli

Sport Demon. For my 78 R100RS. Love them. Plus, the rear tire fits without interfering with the drive shaft housing. I had Dunlop D404's which were fine, (had to use the axle spacer to clear the housing) but I follow F1 and the Pirelli's intrigued me enough to buy them. 120/90V-18 and 100/90v-19. Let me see how they wear. Reviews are good in that category. I've tried them all. Hated the Conti's, loved the Metzlers and Michelins. But they are getting a little pricey. The Dunlops wore too fast. So, there ya go. I've had my RS since 86 and that's my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    To name a few "maybe not so bad" things:

- difficulty clearing the rear brake and shock
    - could rub the inside of the swingarm tube
    - change in steering geometry...maybe only a racer will notice the increased effort to turn the wheel due to the change in profile
    - bike sits lower, so the centerstand and sidestand don't function normally
    GREAT points - especially the steering geometry change. One wouldn't think there would be that much difference, but my /7 rolled and steered (much better) after changing back to correct size/profile tires.

'92 R100GS '81 R100/t brittrunyon's Avatar
    Went with K70's on '81 R100 & the OEM recommended size.
    They are good on the road & good on the forest roads.
    I've only put 1k miles on them so far.
    Photo of the rear tire.
     photo _DSC8652_zps9912f69b.jpg
    1992 R100 GS, 1981 R100/t, 2007 F 650 GS

No Rules Photography at http://brittrunyon.com/
    My riding videos @ http://vimeo.com/user2721333/videos

Put 100mi. on my new Heidenau K36 400-18 today. First impressions are good, rolls & corners awesome. Pulled up a steep gravel road easily. I'll post more regards this tire as miles progess.
    T. Waits.."Got to get behind the mule.. in the mornin and plow"

R100T'79

1500 mi. report

Very pleased with this Heidenau K36. It still reacts like a new tire, tall, no flat center feel. Gives me confidence to lay over in all types of cornering, brakes good & shows little wear. Runs over gravely loose dirt camp roads nicely. Highway Grooves & bridge grating have little effect. I've got it matched with Dunlop K70 front and it works well with it. I'm hoping for better mileage that the K70 rear gave me. Next report at 3000 mi.

R100T'79

Image indicates my experience with Dunlop K70 for rear of older Airheads
    I have been satisfied with these tires - use them on several bikes total 35k or more/yr

Typical ride is speed limit + 5mph on rural non-interstate paved roads
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by MEAirhd View Post
    Very pleased with this Heidenau K36. It still reacts like a new tire, tall, no flat center feel. Gives me confidence to lay over in all types of cornering, brakes good & shows little wear. Runs over gravely loose dirt camp roads nicely. Highway Grooves & bridge grating have little effect. I've got it matched with Dunlop K70 front and it works well with it. I'm hoping for better mileage that the K70 rear gave me. Next report at 3000 mi.
    Good to hear. I have Heidenau K34s on my Aermacchi and I don't think I'd like them on my R90 as much - follow rain grooves too much and not that grippy. I'm running Metzeler Lazertecs on that now which I like a lot, though the rear is nearly worn down after 3k, now thinking of keeping the Lazertec front tire and replacing the rear with a K36. Please keep us updated on how they're working for you.
    // 1975 BMW R90/6 (cafe'd) // 1957 BMW R60 (in pieces) // 1967 Aermacchi/H-D Sprint 250 SS (custom special) // 1973 VW Type 181 Custom SOLD )

http://symphonyofshrapnel.blogspot.com

I was a fan of the Conti Twins back in the '70s. It strikes me that lo all these years later better tread patterns must have evolved, Innards of the tire, who knows. If vintage appearance is your priority these are a good choice. I wonder if the current tires are rated tubeless or not?

Bridgestone BT45 Battlaxe metric sized 110/90-18 nothing particularly noteworthy. Was a good tire.

Dunlop 404..This tire wore out faster than any other that I've used. Where is the K491 Elite II? discontinued sadly. I seem to recall 18,000 mi on this one!! (no trailering)

Metzler, bike came new with Metzlers, changed to Conti's soon after. Most recent experience ME77 installed at the Redmond Rally in 2010 Nothing particularly noteworthy good tire reasonable wear towed trailer. 5,700mi. $117.56 tube $21.95 mounting $30.00 (and I brought the wheel to them!

Heidenau K36 Seemed like the same tread pattern as a Metzler or Dunlop I had some years ago. Good tire average wear. This one was sacrificed with about 2,000 mi left as starting my rally trip with this amount of tread life left seemed like a poor choice compared to a new one. $132.00 at the Bloomsburg Rally. 2,650 mi (2,000mi wasted)

Michelin Pro Activ Good tires Rain Groves seem to have the least effect on these of any tire I've used. This summer got about 7,000 mi on a rear towing a trailer to & from the Salem Rally pretty good Mileage under this condition. Bought in May came off in August.

I am curious about the new Conti Radial, When weeks ago I was ordering a new Pilot Activ for about $109.00 I saw the Conti for about $140.00. I wondered if it was worth the extra $$ & decided to stick with Michelin for now as a known entity. As time goes on hopefully experience will be gained to answer the $31.00 question.

I prefer the "correct" sizes ie 3.25 X 19 & 400 X 18 over the metric sizes.

When is a tire "worn out"? 2/32, 3/32. I believe commercial trucks are in violation below 3/32.
    Last edited by amiles; 09-03-2013 at 04:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by typ181r90 View Post
    Good to hear. I have Heidenau K34s on my Aermacchi and I don't think I'd like them on my R90 as much - follow rain grooves too much and not that grippy. I'm running Metzeler Lazertecs on that now which I like a lot, though the rear is nearly worn down after 3k, now thinking of keeping the Lazertec front tire and replacing the rear with a K36. Please keep us updated on how they're working for you.
    Still liking this K36 but..... rode a bunch of miles in heavy rain recently & it acted a little, ok a lot, squirrelly. Maybe the Dunlop K70 front matchup or just need to get used to it. Time will tell.

R100T'79