Thread: 77 r100rs best tires

Hybrid View

77 r100rs best tires

I have always run period correct Continentals. They perform reasonably well, but I don't ride real hard. One issue is their performance on freeways with rain grooves, the bike shimmies around quite a bit. A little disconcerting, but I never feel like there's any real loss on control. Might be more a function of the tire size (3.25-19 front and 4.00-18 rear), than design. I'd like to hear from others who are running a different tire. Perhaps the shimmy is unavoidable??

BMW Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Gpr100rs View Post
    I have always run period correct Continentals. They perform reasonably well, but I don't ride real hard. One issue is their performance on freeways with rain grooves, the bike shimmies around quite a bit. A little disconcerting, but I never feel like there's any real loss on control. Might be more a function of the tire size (3.25-19 front and 4.00-18 rear), than design. I'd like to hear from others who are running a different tire. Perhaps the shimmy is unavoidable??
    Those ribbed front tires are good at producing shimmy's. The shimmy seems to be pretty harmless for as long I've known about it although it can be disconcerting at times. I approach it from your viewpoint; period correct just looks right!

I recently installed a Michelin Pilot Activ on the front of my R100/7 and a Dunlop retro on the back. Had my first encounter with the rain grooves last Sunday, and my bike was all over the place! An I/m an experienced rider.

I just quit trying to fight it, and allowed it to "float" and did just fine. Just takes some getting used to!

P Monk

Avon Roadriders

I run them on my R90/6. Very good on long bridge grates like the one over the intercoastal canal at Hackberry La. Also they aren't bothered by rain grooves. By far the best I have used in the correct size. Lots of folks use the Conti Go tires. I may try them next time for kicks.
    P. Monk
    74 R90/6 (also know by bride as the Black Hole). 09 R1200 GS. My wife, 1953 model who has survived aplastic anemia and a bone marrow transplant.

I run Metzler's, ME88 on the front and ME880 on the rear, metric equivalent or close to it, to the inch measurements. They wear like iron, and give decent traction. They work pretty well for me, but I'm not out canyon carving or anything, either.

I've heard good things about the Avon's, too, so that may be my next set.
    -----------------------------------------
    Brad D. - Member #105766
    '77 R100RS - Black Beauty (big pipe, baby!)
    '94 R1100RS - Sylvia

Back in the day, everyone immediately abandoned rib front tires when the Metzeler ME33 front tire appeared. Usually matched with ME77 or ME99. Forgot about rain grooves after that.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S