Thread: Shift side peg mounting plate r1150rt.

On the Road

Shift side peg mounting plate r1150rt.

Hi all,

I may have made a mistake. I removed the peg mounting plate and the left side tupperware to remove the starter to clean it. That worked but when I put the plate back on the top bolt didn't fit. After examining it I called a local mechanic who informed me the sub frame can drop. I used a jack to raise the sub frame and get the bolt in. I have 2 questions. 1. Am I the only guy to have this pleasure? 2. Does the sub frame have any bearing on alignment of the bike?

Thanks,

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by jwadedtx View Post
    Hi all,

I may have made a mistake. I removed the peg mounting plate and the left side tupperware to remove the starter to clean it. That worked but when I put the plate back on the top bolt didn't fit. After examining it I called a local mechanic who informed me the sub frame can drop. I used a jack to raise the sub frame and get the bolt in. I have 2 questions. 1. Am I the only guy to have this pleasure? 2. Does the sub frame have any bearing on alignment of the bike?

Thanks,

Jon
    Jon,
    I have the same problem whenever I want to remove the plate (e.g. Starter removal). I'm curious, where did you place the jack such that you raised the sub frame without moving the transmission? Do you think releasing the shock would help?

I don't believe there is any effect on alignment.

On the Road
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger 04 RT View Post
    Jon,
    I have the same problem whenever I want to remove the plate (e.g. Starter removal). I'm curious, where did you place the jack such that you raised the sub frame without moving the transmission? Do you think releasing the shock would help?

I don't believe there is any effect on alignment.
    I had a motorcycle jack and I placed some wood on it. I placed it under the lift handle and I jacked the bike up while it was on the center stand. I was able to lift it enough to replace the bolt. That being said it was not easy or safe but I was able to get it done. I'm sure there is a better way and to be honest I wouldn't recommend how I did it to anyone else.

Don't know if this will work for everybody, but I found that kicking a 2x4 under the rear wheel with bike on centerstand gave just enough lift to align the holes. I think this released a bit of tension on the rear shock which was attached to the subframe? Anyhow, it worked!

-Lee
    Wilsonville, OR
    '03 R1150RT, 84K mi

Quote Originally Posted by leehopp View Post
    Don't know if this will work for everybody, but I found that kicking a 2x4 under the rear wheel with bike on centerstand gave just enough lift to align the holes. I think this released a bit of tension on the rear shock which was attached to the subframe? Anyhow, it worked!

-Lee
    Wilsonville, OR
    '03 R1150RT, 84K mi
    Good tip Lee. I've avoided pulling the footplate because of the difficulty. Without relieving the pressure, it's tough to torque the bolt correctly.

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    This makes me glad the 1100 RT starter comes out without removing the side plate. It takes some fancy wiggling and 3D imagination because it seems like it will never come out but it does. Done it several times.

I would have totally assumed the 1150 RT starter would also. Sounds like that's a big no! These two seem so similar and yet there are a lot of small differences not immediately apparent.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

Quote Originally Posted by happy wanderer View Post
    This makes me glad the 1100 RT starter comes out without removing the side plate. It takes some fancy wiggling and 3D imagination because it seems like it will never come out but it does. Done it several times.

I would have totally assumed the 1150 RT starter would also. Sounds like that's a big no! These two seem so similar and yet there are a lot of small differences not immediately apparent.
    I'm guessing that the attachment is different between the 1100RT and the 1150RT. I have removed the left side plate on my R1100RT many times - often to remove the starter. I have never had any difficulty replacing the side plate afterwards. There don't appear to be any shifts of the mounting holes requiring realignment.
    Michael Stock, Trinity, NC
    R1100RT, R100, R60/6