Thread: Ignition timing

DennyPink

Ignition timing

I am trying to get the timing on my 1992 RT exact, and I am confused. Stamped into the fly wheel is the "S" mark and just below that is the line. My Clymer manual says to set idle timing with the "S" in the center, but the original owners manual says to set it with the line centered. So my question to the all knowing airheads is, "which mark do you use?" Thank you!
    P.S. If it makes any difference, I live at 5,000 feet elevation.
    Denny Pink

It's the mark or line...the letter just tells you what the mark is, static or full advance or top dead center.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Elevation makes NO difference for ignition timing. NO or NEVER is a mighty big assumption however and does not take into account a lot of variables that one can implement to make up for fuel mixture and spark timing. Your real question though, to me, is the "S" mark, the line, and the notch on the side of the observation hole. One lines the line up with the notch at the side of the hole....NOT the "S" centered.........What matters MOST though is what you do with the "F" mark as that is where you really run the engine. God bless.......Dennis

DennyPink
    Dennis and Kurt;
    Thank you for the quick responses. The timing was a little "retarded" so now at idle the line aligns with the case mark and full advance occurs at about 2,800 RPM. On my test ride, the bike seemed to have a little more grunt on acceleration, but that might just be my imagination. Takes longer to get the front grill, oil cooler, and front cover off than it does to actually adjust the timing. Thank you and I hope everyone is having a happy July 4th!
    Denny Pink