Thread: LED panel lights - '03 K1200RS

Hybrid View

LED panel lights - '03 K1200RS

At least one, and maybe two, lights have gone out on the gauges for my '03 K1200RS. Since I have to pull the tupperware to replace them, I might as well look into LED's for all 16(!) lamps. The part number is 62142306126 - 12V 3W T10 base. The big question is light output. I can find suitable LED's in a range of outputs (in lumens). Darned if I can find out what the rating is for the BMW bulb. Has anyone switched to LED's recently (I understand older conversions weren't all that reliable)? What brightness did you use and would you go brighter or dimmer?
    Don't let your bike go anywhere your brain hasn't already been five seconds ago...

Bump

Nobody has tried LED's behind the instrument panel?
    Don't let your bike go anywhere your brain hasn't already been five seconds ago...

I have blue LEDs in mine. Put them in years ago. Have no idea of p/n or output. I would go brighter.
    Jeff
    93 K1100LT
    03 K1200GT

I have seen examples but nothing about the info you requested

Red ones made it easier on night vision, you just loose the distinction between the red warning areas of gauges and the white areas. I have seen images of the standard white lights giving the dash a nice crisp blue/white glow, although a bit bright. (I typically have my dash lights in cars pretty mid to slightly less than mid brightness).

There were some examples of this I remember on I-BMW with images.

Let me know what you do and show the results. I have several out also around the time/gear indicator area.

NCS
    03 K 1200RS (Black is Best)
    03 Honda RC51
    74 Honda CB750 K4

Mendocino, CA USA about as far left as you can get in the lower 48
    I am pretty sure I saved a link to someone's discussion of this, along with pics, supplier, exact bulb (range of colors) and all. That was on one of the other forums and on my computer at the Inn. I will try to remember to look it up later today and post it if I can find it. It is something I Need to do as well.
    Jim Douglas '00 K1200RS >135,000 miles my primary bike again,
    Gone: '09 K1300S sold @ 22k mi, '93 K1100RS traded @ 78k mi, '85 K100RS sold @ 44k mi
    '06 Kaw 650R track bike sold
    http://www.seagullbb.com/

Thanks for the replies - this moves me in the right direction. I have red LED's in my VW Vanagon - yep, the red no-go areas in the gauges are hard to find. NTL, I kind know where "too fast" is on the tach and "too hot" is on the temp gauge, so it's not a big loss. I've been going back and forth between blue (v. cool look) and red (matches the paint!). Ah, decisions, decisions...