Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2009 R1200GSA innermittent stalling when coasting to a stop.

Topwrench
    Hey Billy
    You very well may be right. I pulled the Throttle Bodies tonight and looked inside. They were pretty bad and it looked like a BP oil spill in there. I cleaned them out. however the oetiker clamps gave me a run for my money. Ended up cutting them off. I am gonna replace them with oetiker screw clamps from Aircraft Spruce. until they arrive or I use a temporary substitute will not know how it will turn out. worse thing about this whole ordeal, never got the fried pie!
    I guess if this works I owe you a slice of pie!
    Scott D.

BMW Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by topwrench View Post
    Hey Billy
    You very well may be right. I pulled the Throttle Bodies tonight and looked inside. They were pretty bad and it looked like a BP oil spill in there. I cleaned them out. however the oetiker clamps gave me a run for my money. Ended up cutting them off. I am gonna replace them with oetiker screw clamps from Aircraft Spruce. until they arrive or I use a temporary substitute will not know how it will turn out. worse thing about this whole ordeal, never got the fried pie!
    I guess if this works I owe you a slice of pie!
    Scott D.
    A fair exchange... but only if I'm right of course!

Topwrench
    Well at the dealer today trying to see if replacement clamps are available. Seems parts are only available on Thursdays. Note to self: find dealer which has parts available other days of the week. ha-ha. Anyway, talking with the another tech about my issue and he suggested that my clutch micro switch may not be working properly. After getting home and checking it out, sure enough not working properly, new one will arrive on Thursday.lol Now waiting for parts to show up before I can get her on the road.
    Details to follow.
    Scott D.

Well at the dealer today trying to see if replacement clamps are available. Seems parts are only available on Thursdays. Note to self: find dealer which has parts available other days of the week. ha-ha. Anyway, talking with the another tech about my issue and he suggested that my clutch micro switch may not be working properly. After getting home and checking it out, sure enough not working properly, new one will arrive on Thursday.lol Now waiting for parts to show up before I can get her on the road.
    Details to follow.
    Scott D.
    Good news that she'll be running down the road again soon.

What did you do to check the clutch micro switch?
    2012 R1200RT - Fluid Grey Metallic

I'd suggest before trying to put the new clamps on - get the tool to do it. They are quite easy to install/remove and are completely reusable if you buy the tool. Lisle makes one - cost is about $13. http://www.lislecorp.com/divisions/p...n=1&category=4

30500, CV BOOT CLAMP PLIERS, For Earless-Type Clamps

These clamps are used on FWD cars - so there is a good chance your local friendly NAPA dealer has this tool in stock.

And as far as your problem - you own a GS911. Have you looked at the O2 sensor output graph? If one (or both) have failed, this is not an uncommon symptom (I've replaced both O2 sensors on my '07 R1200R). Unlike cars - failed O2 sensors on bikes set no code.. the only way to know if they're working is to look at the output. If you need a good image of what it should look like - ping me and I'll post one here.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

Smile Stick coils

I had the same problem with my R1150R at 24K Tried all sorts of fuel additives, side stand switches etc Problem went away when I replaced the coils. Now 33K and runs great.

Topwrench
    Quote Originally Posted by liv2ride View Post
    Good news that she'll be running down the road again soon.

What did you do to check the clutch micro switch?
    Because of my stalling problem the tech asked me why didn't I pull in the clutch and re-start my bike. My answer was I tried but the starter would not ingauge until she was in neutral. He said my bike should start with the kick stand up, clutch pulled in and any gear selected.
    Here's how I checked out the switch.

First: I removed the switch from the left hand grip. (CAUTION When removing the switch there is a very little anvil looking part on the switch which will fall out when removing. This anvil is the base for the adjustment screw of the switch on the hand grip.) I suggest looking up the switch in a microfische to see what it looks like.

Second: I left the switch plugged it, removed from the hand grip and turned on the ignition. Put my bike in second gear and tried to start the bike. Nothing (That's how it's suppose to work. Kickstand up plunger NOT activated on the microswitch.)

Third: (This is where a second set of hands help) Clutch pulled in and second gear selected. Have someone push down the plunger on the microswitch and try to start the bike. Mine did nothing. It is suppose to start. Remember during this test the kickstand and center stand should be up.

Hopefully I have explained this properly and it helps you in troubleshooting your microswitch.
    Scott D.

Topwrench
    Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    I'd suggest before trying to put the new clamps on - get the tool to do it. They are quite easy to install/remove and are completely reusable if you buy the tool. Lisle makes one - cost is about $13. http://www.lislecorp.com/divisions/p...n=1&category=4

30500, CV BOOT CLAMP PLIERS, For Earless-Type Clamps

These clamps are used on FWD cars - so there is a good chance your local friendly NAPA dealer has this tool in stock.

And as far as your problem - you own a GS911. Have you looked at the O2 sensor output graph? If one (or both) have failed, this is not an uncommon symptom (I've replaced both O2 sensors on my '07 R1200R). Unlike cars - failed O2 sensors on bikes set no code.. the only way to know if they're working is to look at the output. If you need a good image of what it should look like - ping me and I'll post one here.
    I spent hours looking for pliers that would work. I will be going to NAPA this week.
    As for the GS911. The one that I borrow from a fellow GS'er is on his bike which is on the way to the rally.
    I'm familiar with the graph but will have to wait until it returns.
    Thank you for the information should be useful.
    Scott D.

Topwrench
    Current Status:
    Today I received my new oetiker screw clamps from Aircraft Spruce & Specialty. I had to move them around to make sure the fit and clearance were proper. Only issue I had was one set were too small. next size ordered and on the way. Thought you would like to see the end result.
    For reference if interested part numbers are 065-9 and 070-9 oetiker screw clamps.
    IMG_3661.JPGIMG_3664.JPG

Topwrench
    Current Status:
    Today I received my new oetiker screw clamps from Aircraft Spruce & Specialty. I had to move them around to make sure the fit and clearance were proper. Only issue I had was one set were too small. next size ordered and on the way. Thought you would like to see the end result.
    For reference if interested part numbers are 065-9 and 070-9 oetiker screw clamps.
    IMG_3661.JPGIMG_3664.JPG
    Okay clamps installed, non-ethanol gas in the tank, clutch micro-switch installed and adjusted. Tomorrow I will take a ride and check out the stalling issue. If it doesn't rear its ugly head then does Billy owe me pie cause a micro-switch is electrical isn't it ?
    Scott D.

BMW Rider
    Okay clamps installed, non-ethanol gas in the tank, clutch micro-switch installed and adjusted. Tomorrow I will take a ride and check out the stalling issue. If it doesn't rear its ugly head then does Billy owe me pie cause a micro-switch is electrical isn't it ?
    Scott D.
    I would believe that to be correct BUT a question... aren't you doing multiple repairs? One throttle body/intake-related and 1 electrical? Is that legal? How do you know what actually repaired the issue? I have the funds put aside for pie. Where does this pie come from? I know I saw a reference to it from somewhere.

Topwrench
    Hey Billy
    Replacing the micro-switch I consider a repair and cleaning the throttle bodies is more of a service item, since I only removed the sludge. The clamps are collateral damage. Yes, their is a very, very remote chance the unclean throttle bodies "could have" contributed to the issue or were the sole reason for the issue.

Notwithstanding I believe in the Food Court of law. My assumption has an obscure shred of truth based solely on the foundation of flour, lard and filling.

Sooo....how close are you to Texas?
    Last edited by topwrench; 07-21-2013 at 01:36 AM.

Topwrench
    Today will be my final reply to this stalling issue.
    I rode 250 miles today checking out my bike and seeing if the issue returns. I am happy to say it did not return even though I tried to get it to repeat.
    Here is what was done to my bike:
    1. Filled up with non-ethanol gas.
    2. Cleaned throttle bodies.
    3. Cleaned crud from kickstand switch.
    4. Replaced clutch micro-switch.
    Because of the nature of my bike's stalling issue I believe the clutch micro-switch (which was found bad) was the main culprit in my bike's issue.

All of you who gave suggestions based on your own experiences, I want to say "Thank you" for taking the time to share with me and helping.
    Safe travels.
    Scott D.

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Today will be my final reply to this stalling issue.
    I rode 250 miles today checking out my bike and seeing if the issue returns. I am happy to say it did not return even though I tried to get it to repeat.
    Here is what was done to my bike:
    1. Filled up with non-ethanol gas.
    2. Cleaned throttle bodies.
    3. Cleaned crud from kickstand switch.
    4. Replaced clutch micro-switch.
    Because of the nature of my bike's stalling issue I believe the clutch micro-switch (which was found bad) was the main culprit in my bike's issue.

All of you who gave suggestions based on your own experiences, I want to say "Thank you" for taking the time to share with me and helping.
    Safe travels.
    Scott D.
    I don't believe the clutch switch has anything to do with the engine running, only when starting in gear. And if it was bad, then it's why you couldn't restart the bike.
    The side stand switch will kill the engine, but will at any time. Not just when slowing down or while pulling in the clutch.
    I would think the crud in the throttle bodies and maybe air leaks around the intake would have been the most likely.
    Fuel could be an issue and may depend on engine temp.
    BMWMotorcycles, fun when they're running...
    My other bike is a BMW.
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

Topwrench
    Allow me to disagree with you.
    First, over the past two years and fifteen thousand miles my bike has stalled exactly six times. The condition of the stall was exactly the same during each occurrence. After starting my bike and riding for awhile on a 95 degree day or hotter and riding twenty or more miles I would come to a stop, bike at operating temperature. As I was coasting to the stop, with my clutch pulled in and down shifting, my bike's engine would die no hick up or stumbling directly off. It was like I had hit the kill switch. I would have to put the bike in neutral to restart. It never was the first time I stopped during the ride but the stalling happened once during the ride (after reaching operating temperature) and didn't return for the rest of the ride.

My reason for thinking this way.
    If the main culprit was an air leak, the crud in the throttle bodies or ethanol gas then in my mind the stalling issue would be consistent in nature during every ride provided the atmospheric conditions were the same.
    It is my understanding that the clutch micro-switch, kickstand switch and gear select switch work together for rider safety etc. The clutch micro-switch was bad. How did I know this? My bike would not start in gear with the clutch pulled in and kick stand up. I also put a meter on the switch and confirmed it did not work.

Therefore I strongly believe in my specific situation that the clutch micro-switch for some reason ( I think the heat ) would think the kickstand was down and kill my bike.
    Yes the kickstand switch lets the clutch switch know it is down but the clutch micro-switch might have had an intermittent problem.

I believed the issue from the beginning was more electrical than mechanical.

My purpose for this thread was asking anyone what their experience or suggestion would be to help me in the repair of my bike. I believe many issues with our bikes can be unique to our bikes. I also believe our bikes will share common problems that we will experience and hopefully share with each other.

Am I always right ? Let me clarify that I have been wrong on many occasions.

Thank you for your response.
    Scott D.