Thread: Kms?

Kms?

In the flea mkt, bikes for sale. Milage is given as KMS. What's with that?
    David
    1989 K100LT

Maybe the bike's from Canada. Maybe the bike's originally from Europe and has its original speedometer. Maybe the owner is a metriphiliac.
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

Quote Originally Posted by dbrick View Post
    Maybe the bike's from Canada. Maybe the bike's originally from Europe and has its original speedometer. Maybe the owner is a metriphiliac.
    All the listings are KMS
    David
    1989 K100LT

I went to look...and they are indeed in kms. Pretty strange. I reloaded the page, logged in to the Flea Market, and then cleared the browser's BMWMOA cookies. No difference...the ads still display kms.

I have no idea. I guess someone set something wrong in the server.
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

3 Red Bricks
    The anomoly has been reported to the forum admins. We'll see what can be done.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Quote Originally Posted by k100lt View Post
    In the flea mkt, bikes for sale. Milage is given as KMS. What's with that?
    It would be good for us to know if this is something new (changed recently)?
    Remember that the Flea Market is not part of the forum but linked to the forum.
    In the mean time- To convert from Kilometers to miles multiply by 0.62137 or just sorta knock of a third and imagine miles.
    OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

Or it could be like me on the web & lazily I use K/k for miles... of course it does matter in a buy/sell
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

This issue has been pointed out to the office. They have it on their list to change. Soon, hopefully. Although with the rally coming up, don't expect too much of a flurry on the forum. People are getting ready to head out.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

I say we leave it alone.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

I think the real question (since I expect the vast majority of bikes for sale were originally sold in the US, not Canada) is whether some program converted miles to kilometers or whether it SUBSTITUTED kilometers for miles. Maybe one of you could call up a US seller, ask that very question, then let us know.

The BEST change would probably be for the seller to write the "number" and then chose either miles or kilometers from a menu.

Given the flakiness of many BMW odometers, I wouldn't put too much faith in the number. When I bought my current bike (in Canada) it had only 11K MILES on it. (Yes, originally sold in the states.) Given the excellent condition of the bike, I believed the numbers and worried more about what might have gone wrong from lack of use. It's been pretty good. Now, it has maybe 300 more miles on it than the odometer indicates - quit on a trip and, believe it or not, pulling and re-installing all the fuses fixed the problem. (Hot tip on this forum.) Wonder if it had some failures before I bought it.

Condition and maintenance, not mileage, are the big things with BMW's, I believe.
    Doug
    1992 K100RS

I created a dummy ad for an Airhead. I put in 100,000 for mileage. In the final ad, I checked and it stated the mileage was 100,000 kms. No conversion is going on.
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Update...the Flea Market ads have been updated to show "Mileage (mi)". Onward and upward!!

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    Update...the Flea Market ads have been updated to show "Mileage (mi)". Onward and upward!!
    Thank you and "Well done, sir".
    '04 Silver R1150RT "Big Oel"
    '08 Suzuki DL650 "Screaming Yellow Zonker"
    "I just want somewhere to ride and food when I get there."

No longer a member here
    Quote Originally Posted by BCKRider View Post
    I Condition and maintenance, not mileage, are the big things with BMW's, I believe.
    OMG, don't let the mileage slaves hear that...You may get banned from the MOA....