Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: 02 r1150rs annual service question.

  1. #1
    rfisher56@dslextreme.com
    Guest

    02 r1150rs annual service question.

    Took my bike into dealer last week for annual and 6k service. Was told that bike wouldn't need brake fluid change since it was done last year. I was under the impression that fluid needs changing yearly. Is it ok to let it go 2 years? Has the linked ABS system. Bob

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    15 M. E. Tampa
    Posts
    382
    2 years is the proper interval...
    or, like valve checks on my bikes, do it yourself whenever you feel good...

  3. #3
    ONE LESS HARLEY 04r1150rs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bowling Green,KY
    Posts
    335
    If I recall correctly the recommended interval is yearly for the lower brake system and bi-annual for the complete system, upper and lower. That being said I only do mine every 2 years. If the bike doesn't see a lot of rain don't sweat it. I have an 04 1150RS too.
    Richard
    2004 R1150RS
    1984 R80 G/S
    2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S

  4. #4
    BMW Rider
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    750
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher56@dslextreme.com View Post
    Took my bike into dealer last week for annual and 6k service. Was told that bike wouldn't need brake fluid change since it was done last year. I was under the impression that fluid needs changing yearly. Is it ok to let it go 2 years? Has the linked ABS system. Bob
    Sometimes there are opinions thrown about. And, unfortunately brake fluid renewal periods are model dependent.

    Here's what you need to do: Supply the dealer with the last 7 characters of the vin and ask him to print out the service sheet for an annual. That sheet will give you your answer. These documents are live and are subject to change so it is important to print the latest version when you're ready for the work performed. It is possible your work recommendations may have never changed but you might as well use the latest version.

    Your wheel circuits will probably call for annual renewals. ABS if you have it every 4 years. But don't take my word for it. Get a copy of the maintenance schedule.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Joplin, MO
    Posts
    950
    Quote Originally Posted by billy walker View Post
    Sometimes there are opinions thrown about. And, unfortunately brake fluid renewal periods are model dependent.

    Here's what you need to do: Supply the dealer with the last 7 characters of the vin and ask him to print out the service sheet for an annual. That sheet will give you your answer. These documents are live and are subject to change so it is important to print the latest version when you're ready for the work performed. It is possible your work recommendations may have never changed but you might as well use the latest version.

    Your wheel circuits will probably call for annual renewals. ABS if you have it every 4 years. But don't take my word for it. Get a copy of the maintenance schedule.
    If you have the original brake hoses (Which you really should be changing, they are poor quality and go bad about now) it is annual. The replacement aftermarket teflon lined one (not BW) allow less moisture, and can go 2 years) The labor for the no longer needed annual ABS flush will pay for the cost of the lines, and they need changed, safety item.

    Rod

  6. #6
    rfisher56@dslextreme.com
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ragtoplvr View Post
    If you have the original brake hoses (Which you really should be changing, they are poor quality and go bad about now) it is annual. The replacement aftermarket teflon lined one (not BW) allow less moisture, and can go 2 years) The labor for the no longer needed annual ABS flush will pay for the cost of the lines, and they need changed, safety item.

    Rod
    Hey Rod, where would be a good place to get the teflon lines?

  7. #7
    BMW Rider
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    750
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher56@dslextreme.com View Post
    Hey Rod, where would be a good place to get the teflon lines?
    http://www.spieglerusa.com/brakes/cy...line-kits.html

    I don't know if they use teflon but it's probably fair to say Spiegler is recognized for quality brake lines in the industry.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Walland, TN
    Posts
    445
    I've got an '04 1150 GS and as I recall the factory recommendations on the brake fluid change is every year on the wheel circuits and every 2 years on the control circuit, unless you have stainless steel brake lines (as in GS Adventure), then you double the time interval.
    I replaced my brake lines several years ago with Spiegler SS lines, but still change the brake fluid annually as I'm paranoid about the ABS control unit failing. If Module Master ever states they can repair the iABS I'll double the change interval.
    2004 R 1150 GS

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    213

    1998 r1100rt

    Quote Originally Posted by billy walker View Post
    I don't know if they use teflon
    Yes. Teflon inside, stainless steel braid, then a decorative vinyl on the outside.
    Banjos are anodized aluminum and come with new aluminum crush washers.
    Your existing steel banjo bolts will work but are relatively ugly compared to the new hoses.
    Now is the time to consider color matching those.
    I did not, because I got all "silver"; after a good cleaning the chromate finish on the bolts looked ok.
    If you wait till later be sure to get new crush washers.

    I have the Brembo system so Rod may have to weigh in on bleeding the air out of the ABS system.
    On the Brembo modulator towers, the plumbing is arranged so that air can't stay in the tower and will eventually chase out to the bleeders at the caliper. You don't need access to the bleeders on top of the towers. Which are under the tank.
    They might have some function, like maybe quick filling an empty system.

    The thing about the Spieglers is they are much higher quality than OEM and are 1/3 the cost of OEM.
    And since my OEM hoses failed catastrophically I feel like they let me down.
    I'll probably die riding this thing so I'd just as soon they didn't fail again in the next 15 years.

    I do everything once a year whether the bike really needs it or not.
    Except the fuel filter that's a pain.
    Oil, oil filter, air filter, bleed the brown brake fluid out, adjust the valves... well that's about it.

  10. #10
    BMW Rider
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    750
    Quote Originally Posted by scott.lambert View Post
    Yes. Teflon inside, stainless steel braid, then a decorative vinyl on the outside.
    Banjos are anodized aluminum and come with new aluminum crush washers.
    Your existing steel banjo bolts will work but are relatively ugly compared to the new hoses.
    Now is the time to consider color matching those.
    I did not, because I got all "silver"; after a good cleaning the chromate finish on the bolts looked ok.
    If you wait till later be sure to get new crush washers.

    I have the Brembo system so Rod may have to weigh in on bleeding the air out of the ABS system.
    On the Brembo modulator towers, the plumbing is arranged so that air can't stay in the tower and will eventually chase out to the bleeders at the caliper. You don't need access to the bleeders on top of the towers. Which are under the tank.
    They might have some function, like maybe quick filling an empty system.

    The thing about the Spieglers is they are much higher quality than OEM and are 1/3 the cost of OEM.
    And since my OEM hoses failed catastrophically I feel like they let me down.
    I'll probably die riding this thing so I'd just as soon they didn't fail again in the next 15 years.

    I do everything once a year whether the bike really needs it or not.
    Except the fuel filter that's a pain.
    Oil, oil filter, air filter, bleed the brown brake fluid out, adjust the valves... well that's about it.
    Keep in mind valve adjustments have zero to do with time. Factory calls for every 6k on most models. Some will state that is excessive. Maybe they have the appropriate engineering skills behind them to state that, I don't know. Maybe they'll need adjustment, maybe not. All other items you named off will suffer no harm by annual changes/renewals. The only maybe here is the engine oil & filter. That is both time and mileage based for folks that don't ride too many miles. Factory calls for every 6k or annual if less than 6k so I would not exceed that.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Joplin, MO
    Posts
    950
    I used spiegler lines, they fit very well. Visit beemer boneyard and buy a filling tool

    Linky

    http://www.beemerboneyard.com/abs3funnel.html

    No affiliation

    I use their brake pads too.

    Get a quart of Dot 4. You will use most of it. Get some vinyl hose to fit the bleeders, save your paint. Don't save the leftover brake fluid. just toss it when done, it will not stay good once the seal has broken.

    Easy to do.

    Visit here for instructions

    http://advwisdom.hogranch.com/Wisdom/service_abs3.pdf

    sounds scary, actually pretty easy

    Rod
    Last edited by ragtoplvr; 07-10-2013 at 10:51 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •