Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 2013 1200 RT bluetooth issues

Perhaps this qualifies for a class action lawsuit. My radio is horrible.

RT in NC
    If it brought bad publicity to BMW it might work. I have thought about painting the bike like a lemon and riding it around. They know this is a problem but will not admit it. I have heard rumors about a new sound system in 2014 bikes. Possibly like the K bikes.That came from a dealer but he didn't have any conformation he could share. If true BMW should swap out bikes with a crap radio for a new bike. Doubt they would do that considering their poor customer relation hx. I do like the class action idea. I am so tired of big companies dodging their responsibilities.
    Buck in Greensboro, NC
    2013 R 1200 RT Midnight Blue - traded, 2014 R 1200 RT Ebony Metallic

Ozzie Flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by hogwide@aol.com View Post
    If it brought bad publicity to BMW it might work. I have thought about painting the bike like a lemon and riding it around. They know this is a problem but will not admit it. I have heard rumors about a new sound system in 2014 bikes. Possibly like the K bikes.That came from a dealer but he didn't have any conformation he could share. If true BMW should swap out bikes with a crap radio for a new bike. Doubt they would do that considering their poor customer relation hx. I do like the class action idea. I am so tired of big companies dodging their responsibilities.
    "If true BMW should swap out bikes with a crap radio for a new bike "

That sounds a little unrealistic to me.. I have the audio system ( and have had in each of the last two bikes) and it seems fine to me. No issues. Pairs with Sena just fine and my iPhone. Sound quality seems fine for in helmet speakers to me.
    The idea you get a new bike for a radio issue , seems a little skewed to me. nb. I have the non USA version of the 2013 RT.
    regards
    paul
    regards
    Paul
    Ozzie Flyer
    BE KIND TO HUMANS... THEY BITE

RT in NC

unrealistica?

I have had the bike since mid May. It has been in the shop for half of the time I have owned it. The option plus headset was $2500 plus, numerous others are having the same problem. I don't think it is unreasonable at all that BMW should be held accountable for the products they sell and my time and hard earned money. My radio will not pair with any head set but the BMW headset. According to the dealer it is the first radio his hesd set would not pair with. He has a
    Buck in Greensboro, NC

RT in NC

unrealistica?

I have had the bike since mid May. It has been in the shop for half of the time I have owned it. The option plus headset was $2500 plus ,numerous others are having the same problem. I don't think it is unreasonable at all that BMW should be held accountable for the products they sell and my time and hard earned money. My radio will not pair with any head set but the BMW headset, and the sound quality is terrible when it does. Normal talk radio sounds like you are running your fingernails across a washing board. Any music except folk is so distorted you can't discern a guitar from a drum. I am not asking for great audio quality. Just something that dosesn't make you want to rip the helmet off. According to the dealer it is the first radio his headset would not pair with. He has a Sena headset. I don't drink BMW koolaide. I don't care if it is a foot pedal problem any company taking money for their products should have to stand behind the product and do what ever they can to make the customer happy. This isn't a fluke issue. BMW knows there is a problem. Maybe some are willing to accept inferior performance for their money, I am not.
    Buck in Greensboro, NC

Ozzie Flyer
    I have had the bike since mid May. It has been in the shop for half of the time I have owned it. The option plus headset was $2500 plus ,numerous others are having the same problem. I don't think it is unreasonable at all that BMW should be held accountable for the products they sell and my time and hard earned money. My radio will not pair with any head set but the BMW headset, and the sound quality is terrible when it does. Normal talk radio sounds like you are running your fingernails across a washing board. Any music except folk is so distorted you can't discern a guitar from a drum. I am not asking for great audio quality. Just something that dosesn't make you want to rip the helmet off. According to the dealer it is the first radio his headset would not pair with. He has a Sena headset. I don't drink BMW koolaide. I don't care if it is a foot pedal problem any company taking money for their products should have to stand behind the product and do what ever they can to make the customer happy. This isn't a fluke issue. BMW knows there is a problem. Maybe some are willing to accept inferior performance for their money, I am not.
    So why doesnt the dealer swap out the radio and Bt device?
    Regards
    Paul
    regards
    Paul
    Ozzie Flyer

RT in NC

Duh!

Evidently you haven't been reading. He has swapped out three head sets, two bluetooth antennas and 3 radios and control modules and nothing has changed. There is s design flaw in the system somewhere.
    Last edited by hogwide@aol.com; 08-01-2013 at 04:06 PM.
    Buck in Greensboro, NC

Piling on in Kansas City

At the risk of redundancy I wanted to acknowledge that I am having the same experiences in Kansas City. I recently had a software update on my 2013 R1200RT that I had hoped would improve the situation, but to no avail. Love the bike, hate the Bluetooth. This is my first experience with the BMW brand. I expected better customer service. I feel helpless. Surely there is something we can do collectively!

Dale Trott
    Lenexa, Kansas
    2013 R1200RT

RT in NC
    I am on the third radio counting the original one. I am all for doing something collectively but not sure where to begin.
    Buck in Greensboro, NC

Ozzie Flyer
    Evidently you haven't been reading. He has swapped out three head sets, two bluetooth antennas and 3 radios and control modules and nothing has changed. There is s design flaw in the system somewhere.
    I am not trying to be difficult, but why does mine and a lot of other peoples work just fine?
    That would indicate something other than a design flaw.
    Regards
    Paul
    regards
    Paul
    Ozzie Flyer

RT in NC
    It is the dealers thought and several others I have met on different forums. I am o for 3 radios. Hmm seems like a radio problem to me. It is even worse with my phone. It will not pair with the gps and radio at the same time. Sounds much better just using the GPS as an mp3 player. Everything poionts to the radio. Glad your and others you know are ok. My experience has been very different.
    Buck in Greensboro, NC

RT Bluetooth

Quote Originally Posted by pch123 View Post
    I am not trying to be difficult, but why does mine and a lot of other peoples work just fine?
    That would indicate something other than a design flaw.
    Regards
    Paul
    Maybe we're on to something here, Paul has the "non US" version. I haven't heard from anyone else in the USA who has good sound thru bluetooth when paired to the bike. I have decent sound when paired to my iphone, like several others have mentioned. Ok sound when paired to the Nav IV gps. Crap sound when paired to the bike radio. I don't think demanding a new bike is reasonable, I do think a credit of at least a substantial amount of the radio option cost is reasonable. Any lawyers on here? Sounds like a possible class action to me. I love my RT but it's pretty obvious the bluetooth in the radio is flawed. I'd trade it for a credit towards future rear drive or abs module replacement.
    IBA Number 49673
    Moore OK
    http://lngrdr.blogspot.com/

R1200RT Blue Tooth Issue

My 2013 came equipped and I paired it with my Sena gear. Works and sounds great: AM, FM, Weather, XM, and Bluetooth to the smart phone.
    Last edited by wgraybuckley; 08-13-2013 at 02:45 AM.
    graybuckley@gmail.com

Ozzie Flyer
    It is the dealers thought and several others I have met on different forums. I am o for 3 radios. Hmm seems like a radio problem to me. It is even worse with my phone. It will not pair with the gps and radio at the same time. Sounds much better just using the GPS as an mp3 player. Everything poionts to the radio. Glad your and others you know are ok. My experience has been very different.
    Look I hear your angst, and can understand your frustration. I am just trying to assist here with some logical thought. Is the radio the same in the USA as the Europe model? Why does the guy in Colorado seem to have no issues. Are their different brand radios installed ( i.e.. maybe 2 or 3 different ones in the US).
    Has your dealer ( who must be as frustrated as you) got any ideas on the above. Has he got any ideas on what is wrong with yours compared to others?
    I often find these sort of issues get down to just eliminating any possible variables and then something just pops up.
    You obviously have had 3 radios( and I presume 3 BTbike devices) that don't work, so why does others work ? Were they all the same brand? What is different? When we can answer those questions BMW will become a lot more responsive I believe . Have you seen the dealers report to BMWNA ? What does it say? Have you seen their written response to that detail?

As I said just trying to be helpful. Sometimes when you are not directly involved a small detail shows up that is missed by people upset at poor results time and time again.
    best regards
    Paul
    regards
    Paul
    Ozzie Flyer

RT in NC
    The dealer is working with the BMW tech department. Also working with customer service. It is like any product. Why did just some Toyotas have accelerator problems, not all Ford 6.0 truck engines hadproblems. However enough did and something was done. Toyota did a massive recall, Ford built a new engine. BMW has not been very forthcoming with info about anything. Basically they are trying the shot gun approach. I have seen the dealers inquiries. BMW doesn't give answers, only suggestions that don't work. That seems to be standard fare with BMW. There have been several on this thread who are having problems. As said earlier mine will not pair with a Sena headset and even if it did BMW only will warranty if it is paired with their headset. They will not assume any resposiblity if another manufacturer is involved. With any product a percentage will work and some won't. It seems as the word gets around more poorly woking audio systems . People are speaking up and not accepting BMW's usual attitude. For 24K I expect a better company attitude and product. Some people don't. I work hard for my $ and want a quality product. The radio is an Alpine product.
    Buck in Greensboro, NC