Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 2013 1200 RT bluetooth issues

RT in NC

Dealer

Have you brought this to the attention of the dealer? The more who complain, the better chance for a remedy.

Rider on Ramald
    Quote Originally Posted by selledr View Post
    1. Hard-wired an audio jack into the system as detailed here: http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthre...-BMW-Bluetooth This gives good audio but you have to wear wired ear buds or ear phones which are uncomfortable in donning and removing the helmet. Plus you have the wire.
    This gets you half-way... next buy a Sena SM-10, plug that into the headphone jack and pair with your helmet. Viola and you can even pair a second one...

RT in NC
    Just had another conversation with "Customer Relations". Same person who said a field tech would check out my bike. Never happened. The area rep told the dealer he wasn't concerned that the radio is bad. Great company
    Buck in Greensboro, NC
    2013 R 1200 RT Midnight Blue - traded, 2014 R 1200 RT Ebony Metallic

RT in NC

update

According to a customer relations person, his field tech says the problem could be coming from three areas, the headset which I think has been disproved, the blue tooth antenna , which is in the radio or the radio itself. The radio has been replaced already. He wants me to take the bike in and leave it for more tests. Calling tomorrow to see what I can set up. I still think it is a design problem. Too many others having similar problem.
    Buck in Greensboro, NC

Try desperately to get BMW to take it all back and buy a wired system that works with clarity on any bike: the AUTOCOM. We'll be at the rally selling and installing. And if you must do bluetooth, be aware that wireless solutions will probably not have the reliability and sound clarity that you get with wired solutions unless and until all manufacturers agree to implement the software standard in completion and the same way. That will only happen when hell freezes over.

Lisa
    BTW I sell and ride AUTOCOM because it works and has for over 15 years!
    Lisa Malachowsky
    2014 R1200GSW-low
    tripgrrl@gmail.com
    www.divenrideadventures.com

I have a 2013 R1200RT and don't have the money yet to get any audio helmet sets. I have a C3 helmet and have read all the threads about this problem.

I currently ride with foam earplugs and just use the installed stereo through the speakers. Above 70 mph with the faring pretty far up to block the rush of air, I can still sing along with the music. At that speed I have the volume all the way up to "20". The music is ok but talk radio is useless. I was looking at the Senna headsets but it sounds like nothing is a real answer.

Guess I'll just keep reading the forums and wait for some real solution before I spend any more money.

My next purchase is a back support then touring pegs. Right knee is driving me nuts. Getting old sucks but my feet still hit the floor in the morning so I guess I'm better than most.

RT in NC
    Took the bike in yesterday. They are going to try and replace the bluetooth antenna. See what happens.
    Buck in Greensboro, NC

Good luck but I think we are doomed to poor Bluetooth sound from this radio. Keep us posted.
    IBA Number 49673
    Moore OK
    http://lngrdr.blogspot.com/

RT in NC

Gut feeling

My gut tells me you are right. I think it is a design problem. I have only listened to a K abike but the audio was much better. Unfortnately the radios are not interchangable. I am going by today to check on the situation.
    Buck in Greensboro, NC

2013 RT BT and radio...

Quote Originally Posted by hogwide@aol.com View Post
    Hello, I have a new 1200RT. Since day one what ever plays over bluetooth is of terrible quality. The radio and head set has been replaced and still no improvement. Latest from my
    Dealer's rep is that BMW will buy back the headset but I have to live with the poor audio. Doesn't sound right to me. I am stuck with a $2000+ optioon that doesn't work as advertised. I quess I will have to start letter writing and contacting a lemon laywer. Seems like BMW would be embarrased to put out such poor equipment. Has anyone else had these issues?
    I've had my 2013 since March.... The radio output quality through the BT is garbage. At first I had issues with the Schuberth BT in the their C3 helmet...that thing just flat doesn't work reliably. Then went to the BMW communicator... it pairs but the sound quality through the radio was terrible and it wouldn't reliably tune FM channels. The sound quality was bad even on XM channels. I went to dealer ..they had trouble with FM tuning and then swapped with the radio out of a new bike..tuning got fixed but the bt sound is still bad. An expensive cheap sounding radio. iphone synced to the helmet sounds fine...as does music from teh GPS... Making matters worse is playing the sound through the speakers isn't anything to write home about.

RT in NC

Still not right.

So far The BMW headset has been replaced twice, radio replaced, bluetooth antenna replaced, all to no avail. Now BMW wants to replace the radio again. This time it will be in the shop over two weeks. I got the bike in May amd it has been in the shop almost a month from radio issues. I think the radio has a design problem. Too many people are having problems and BMW will not own up to the issue.
    Buck in Greensboro, NC

Quote Originally Posted by hogwide@aol.com View Post
    So far The BMW headset has been replaced twice, radio replaced, bluetooth antenna replaced, all to no avail. Now BMW wants to replace the radio again. This time it will be in the shop over two weeks. I got the bike in May amd it has been in the shop almost a month from radio issues. I think the radio has a design problem. Too many people are having problems and BMW will not own up to the issue.
    Yep..that sounds about right. I think the problem is either in the bluetooth interface from the receiver (FM/AM/XM/AUX) and the bluetooth radio or in the bluetooth radio itself. My headset pairs fine, with good sound, to my iphone, and Garmin. Unfortunately this kind of issue is not something a dealer can actually fix...their role is 'bitch and switch'. Until BMW engineering gets the joke that they have a problem this is a game of attrition...how many times can gripe, how long can you be without the bike while the dealer does wholesale swaps...at some point the dealer will stop getting support from BMW and say they can no longer help. Hate to be so cynical but I went through something similar with the nav on my goldwing.

bluetooth

Sorry there is no solution. If it were me, I'd just pair to my iphone or GPS as I have done instead of be without the bike while the dealer screws around with a fix that isn't going to work. The bluetooth in this radio is junk and replacing junk with junk is just time you don't have the bike to ride. I don't know of anyone who gets decent bluetooth sound from the radio. Sad but true. What BMW should do is give all of us who bought this option a credit for merchandise to cover for what is obviously a poorly designed product.
    IBA Number 49673
    Moore OK
    http://lngrdr.blogspot.com/

RT in NC
    The more people complain maybe BMW wiil do the right thing. $2500+ invested in junk is terrible. According to NC my bike meets the criteria of a lemon. I plan on proceding along those lines. BMW doens't like embarrassment. Maybe the lemon aspect will get their attention.
    Buck in Greensboro, NC

RT in NC

update

Total: 2- bluetooth antennas, 3-headsets and now 3 complete radio and control modules, counting the original = no resolution of the problem. Waiting on further info from BMW.
    Last edited by hogwide@aol.com; 08-01-2013 at 04:07 PM.
    Buck in Greensboro, NC