Thread: 2013 1200 RT bluetooth issues

Hybrid View

RT in NC

2013 1200 RT bluetooth issues

Hello, I have a new 1200RT. Since day one what ever plays over bluetooth is of terrible quality. The radio and head set has been replaced and still no improvement. Latest from my
    Dealer's rep is that BMW will buy back the headset but I have to live with the poor audio. Doesn't sound right to me. I am stuck with a $2000+ optioon that doesn't work as advertised. I quess I will have to start letter writing and contacting a lemon laywer. Seems like BMW would be embarrased to put out such poor equipment. Has anyone else had these issues?

Is your Bluetooth the "BMW Communicator". If so there's a software upgrade to V2.50 that noticeably improves sound quality. Good luck!

bluetooth

Good luck and let us know if you have any success. My 2012 RT bluetooth audio is horrible thru my Schuberth helmet. I just listen to my iphone thru the helmet and only turn on the bike's very expensive radio if my bluetooth battery dies. It's practically worthless above 65 mph as well. If I were buying another, it would be without a radio, they should be ashamed for such poor audio. Or better yet, those who designed it, should be forced to listen to it all day.
    IBA Number 49673
    Moore OK
    http://lngrdr.blogspot.com/

RT in NC
    Totally agree. It is a BMW headset and C3 pro helmet. I am taking it in tomorrow and pair it with the dealers Senna headset and he wants to pair with a schuberth headset when one comes in. I will ask about the software upgrade.

RT in NC
    The radio is made by Alpine. Used to be a good brand.

RT in NC
    My dealer could not get his headset to air with my bike. He said it was the first time he could not pair with a bike. My headset has the V2.50 update. We paired it to a K bike and it sounded a whole lot better than when paired with my bike. Guess it is in the unit. The dealer is going to contact BMW again.

Good luck but I think we are doomed to poor Bluetooth sound from this radio. Keep us posted.
    IBA Number 49673
    Moore OK

RT in NC

Gut feeling

My gut tells me you are right. I think it is a design problem. I have only listened to a K abike but the audio was much better. Unfortnately the radios are not interchangable. I am going by today to check on the situation.
    Buck in Greensboro, NC
    2013 R 1200 RT Midnight Blue - traded, 2014 R 1200 RT Ebony Metallic

2013 RT BT and radio...

Quote Originally Posted by hogwide@aol.com View Post
    Hello, I have a new 1200RT. Since day one what ever plays over bluetooth is of terrible quality. The radio and head set has been replaced and still no improvement. Latest from my
    Dealer's rep is that BMW will buy back the headset but I have to live with the poor audio. Doesn't sound right to me. I am stuck with a $2000+ optioon that doesn't work as advertised. I quess I will have to start letter writing and contacting a lemon laywer. Seems like BMW would be embarrased to put out such poor equipment. Has anyone else had these issues?
    I've had my 2013 since March.... The radio output quality through the BT is garbage. At first I had issues with the Schuberth BT in the their C3 helmet...that thing just flat doesn't work reliably. Then went to the BMW communicator... it pairs but the sound quality through the radio was terrible and it wouldn't reliably tune FM channels. The sound quality was bad even on XM channels. I went to dealer ..they had trouble with FM tuning and then swapped with the radio out of a new bike..tuning got fixed but the bt sound is still bad. An expensive cheap sounding radio. iphone synced to the helmet sounds fine...as does music from teh GPS... Making matters worse is playing the sound through the speakers isn't anything to write home about.

RT in NC

Still not right.

So far The BMW headset has been replaced twice, radio replaced, bluetooth antenna replaced, all to no avail. Now BMW wants to replace the radio again. This time it will be in the shop over two weeks. I got the bike in May amd it has been in the shop almost a month from radio issues. I think the radio has a design problem. Too many people are having problems and BMW will not own up to the issue.
    Buck in Greensboro, NC

Quote Originally Posted by hogwide@aol.com View Post
    So far The BMW headset has been replaced twice, radio replaced, bluetooth antenna replaced, all to no avail. Now BMW wants to replace the radio again. This time it will be in the shop over two weeks. I got the bike in May amd it has been in the shop almost a month from radio issues. I think the radio has a design problem. Too many people are having problems and BMW will not own up to the issue.
    Yep..that sounds about right. I think the problem is either in the bluetooth interface from the receiver (FM/AM/XM/AUX) and the bluetooth radio or in the bluetooth radio itself. My headset pairs fine, with good sound, to my iphone, and Garmin. Unfortunately this kind of issue is not something a dealer can actually fix...their role is 'bitch and switch'. Until BMW engineering gets the joke that they have a problem this is a game of attrition...how many times can gripe, how long can you be without the bike while the dealer does wholesale swaps...at some point the dealer will stop getting support from BMW and say they can no longer help. Hate to be so cynical but I went through something similar with the nav on my goldwing.

bluetooth

Sorry there is no solution. If it were me, I'd just pair to my iphone or GPS as I have done instead of be without the bike while the dealer screws around with a fix that isn't going to work. The bluetooth in this radio is junk and replacing junk with junk is just time you don't have the bike to ride. I don't know of anyone who gets decent bluetooth sound from the radio. Sad but true. What BMW should do is give all of us who bought this option a credit for merchandise to cover for what is obviously a poorly designed product.
    IBA Number 49673
    Moore OK

RT in NC
    The more people complain maybe BMW wiil do the right thing. $2500+ invested in junk is terrible. According to NC my bike meets the criteria of a lemon. I plan on proceding along those lines. BMW doens't like embarrassment. Maybe the lemon aspect will get their attention.
    Buck in Greensboro, NC