Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Warranty repair doesn't pay for everything...?

BMW Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by sloride View Post
    I didn't receive a copy of the warranty when I purchased my 2012 GS. I think I'll ask for one next time I visit the dealer
    You are supposed to get a copy at time of purchase.

It comes with the ownership books as part of bike purchase. Got one with every bike I've purchased.
    '14 R1200RT
    MOA #46783

Lightbulb Hmmmm

Resets, sight glasses, plastic fuel disconnects, warranty work......I sure like my old airhead.

DW
    1978 R100rs MOA#22600 125cc Kymco
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    Has this forum become the place where people come to vent their spleens about alleged injustices visited upon them by evil companies?

I swear, some of you have too much time on your hands.
    yes...
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

BMW Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    yes...
    Well, when your bike is broke and you only own one bike you do have more time on your hands. Therefore you fill up some of that time by writing in to the forum. Sometimes the beef is legitimate, sometimes not. But hey you've got nothing better to do anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by billy walker View Post
    But hey you've got nothing better to do anyway.
    Sure there is...watch MotoGP!
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

No longer a member here
    . This can get complicated and I am at best partially literate in that area of law. Which basically means don't necessarily believe me. Possibly there are states that allow an OEM to non-reimburse consumables.
    I wasn't even talking about consumables. I was talking about consequential damages. And I wasn't talking about the specific OEM(s) you were working with. And as the poster about GM warranty confirms, there are warranties that exclude consequential damages. Just like the spark plug, that blows apart and destroys an engine.

BMW Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by EMSimon View Post
    I wasn't even talking about consumables. I was talking about consequential damages. And I wasn't talking about the specific OEM(s) you were working with. And as the poster about GM warranty confirms, there are warranties that exclude consequential damages. Just like the spark plug, that blows apart and destroys an engine.
    Sorry, I was addressing a BMW motorcycle-related warranty question in a BMW motorcycle-related forum and I should be concerned about other similar industries because...?

Do answers now have to include all sorts of man made whatever in order to be accurate? I'm not that bright number one and number two I have other things to do in life. I was giving a valid answer for a specific question.

Sorry, I was addressing a BMW motorcycle-related warranty question in a BMW motorcycle-related forum and I should be concerned about other similar industries because...?

Do answers now have to include all sorts of man made whatever in order to be accurate? I'm not that bright number one and number two I have other things to do in life. I was giving a valid answer for a specific question.
    And it could be something capricious, in other words there's a lot of windage in interpretation by the dealer or BMWNA. Did anyone find literature of what's covered and what isn't?
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

BMW Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by ponch1 View Post
    And it could be something capricious, in other words there's a lot of windage in interpretation by the dealer or BMWNA. Did anyone find literature of what's covered and what isn't?
    There go them big words again

Ponch, I think the answer is the lack of words. An omission. Omissions leave plenty of room for mis-statements as assumptions seemed to be brought into the picture. Don't have a warranty in front of me but if memory serves me correctly there are no statements indicating oil and/or consumables are not covered. Other than a few listed exceptions the warranty is pretty darn inclusive. IMO it's a good warranty. BMW however is a genuine stickler on the accuracy of submitted warranties. Having attended their warranty training class I can assure you there are many misunderstandings on how to fill out the submittal. Oil is the perfect example. If it is not listed in the appropriate field you will NOT get paid for it. BMW will not correct the submittal. That is 100% dealer responsibility. Do it wrong not only will you not collect what you're entitled to you will be penalized on warranty audits. It is however a one-way street. If you under-claimed you'll never see the money. If you over-claimed or made any paperwork errors they will charge you back. Their not there to verify with the customer you actually performed a warranty repair. They couldn't care less about that. They want to know with certainty you followed an approved diagnostic trail. Leave notes off the repair order and/or decide your diagnostic trail makes more sense than theirs and they will take their money back. And, there is something to be said for that. I mention this because dealer employees can be afraid of BMW's power. Sometimes it becomes a lot easier to ask the customer to pay for something rather than have the dealer principle get mad at you for not getting paid everything you're entitled to on a warranty. And neither the dealer principle nor the employee know how to fill out the submittal properly in order to avoid such things as chargebacks. A dealer getting hit with a 5-figure chargeback will create such a level of fear within an employee that it becomes far easier to charge the customer.

BMW cannot be blamed for everything as the dealer does need to act in a competent manner. But an ever present fear of potential chargebacks will make some act in their own interest as opposed to customer interest. Sad to say but it is a natural byproduct.

What's so odd to me is they almost never ask for the failed component back. Easy for me to say here and maybe inaccurate as I have never worked for an OEM but I can't help but think that is why some of their problems are on-going. Don't the engineers want to see continually failing product? Maybe their getting the failed components from elsewhere in the pipeline I really don't know.

The warranty text Billy quoted above is quite clear. The bike will be repaired at no cost to the customer, except for some specific items: tires, maintenance, Garmins, batteries, etc.

Because the warranty specifically lists some exceptions to its coverage, items that are not listed as exceptions (like consumables) are not excepted. Thus, consumables are covered. For you Latin geeks: expressio unius est exclusio alterius.

Any court seeing these facts and this text would have no difficulty in finding that neither BMW (who issued the warranty) nor the dealer (who does the work) can charge the customer for the oil refill. The old oil may be reused, or new oil provided, but the customer may not be charged.
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

Well, when your bike is broke and you only own one bike you do have more time on your hands. Therefore you fill up some of that time by writing in to the forum. Sometimes the beef is legitimate, sometimes not. But hey you've got nothing better to do anyway.
    My "something better to do this week": So far this week I've made a pile of chestnut oak split rails, went to an Amish sawmill ~ 60k away & bought a trailer load of cedar posts & saw logs for a deck improvement project,peeled w/drawknife most of the cedar posts,cultivated large garden, sprayed fungicide on tomatoes,sprayed fruit trees,mowed couple acres near garden, washed car from FL road trip, drove to MIL's 150k, took her & wife's aunt out to eat & grocery shopped, worked on chainsaws/sharpened,etc., string trimmed some around farm pond, couple other things I forget & it rained couple times forcing me into my shop,etc.. I have not one but 5 MC's & you are correct in your purely having guessed that only one of them currently is running!
    Also, I'm close to 70 yrs old & am truly thankful to maintain an activity level that does in fact include far more than your suggestion that I am limited to BS'ing on the forum as suggested by the comment, "but hey you've got nothing better to do anyway".
    I do feel it is a legitimate activity to discuss MFG warranty issues as in this thread.
    Oh, were you writing in the 3rd person?
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

BMW Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    My "something better to do this week": So far this week I've made a pile of chestnut oak split rails, went to an Amish sawmill ~ 60k away & bought a trailer load of cedar posts & saw logs for a deck improvement project,peeled w/drawknife most of the cedar posts,cultivated large garden, sprayed fungicide on tomatoes,sprayed fruit trees,mowed couple acres near garden, washed car from FL road trip, drove to MIL's 150k, took her & wife's aunt out to eat & grocery shopped, worked on chainsaws/sharpened,etc., string trimmed some around farm pond, couple other things I forget & it rained couple times forcing me into my shop,etc.. I have not one but 5 MC's & you are correct in your purely having guessed that only one of them currently is running!
    Also, I'm close to 70 yrs old & am truly thankful to maintain an activity level that does in fact include far more than your suggestion that I am limited to BS'ing on the forum as suggested by the comment, "but hey you've got nothing better to do anyway".
    I do feel it is a legitimate activity to discuss MFG warranty issues as in this thread.
    Oh, were you writing in the 3rd person?
    3rd person. My comments were actually geared towards a post written by BC1100S. I didn't realize it might be viewed as a negative towards you. Sorry for not being clearer.

You look like you actually lead a life. And, that is good. I have pretty narrow interests when it comes to participating. Work and motorcycles have been pretty much the only constant. I do admire people that are able to broaden their scope. It's just something I've never done well at. Continue on sir!

Bluenoser
    Quote Originally Posted by pffog View Post
    If it were me and the oil was good, I would have just leaned the bike over to the right a little, and changed the sight glass no oil loss at all that way.
    Yep that would have worked and likely the way I would have changed the sight glass. Heck I've seen BMW bikes laid on their sides to rethread the pan bolts. Most would frown at this but it actually works very well. Consumables are not normally covered by a warranty.
    1971 R50/5 SWB with R75/6 drivetrain
    2013 DL650

Quote Originally Posted by pffog View Post
    If it were me and the oil was good, I would have just leaned the bike over to the right a little, and changed the sight glass no oil loss at all that way.

I saw a guy change a tire on a gold wing that way.
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19