Thread: tach cable for 76 r90

Hybrid View

tach cable for 76 r90

I checked with the dealer who quoted me $72; now I know the dealer has to make a profit and all, but this strikes me as more than a little excessive. Can anyone recommend a cheaper alternative?

Chuck

Nothing like a good old BMW cable. I've tried aftermarket places or vintage BMW places that supposedly sell good stuff...it happened to be a clutch cable and it was pretty crummy.

I just checked BMW Hucky...also $72. There are salvage places...but you get what you pay for.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

http://www.benchmarkworks.com/

62 12 1 357 732--$24.55--tach cable R60/6-R100RS

That's an amazing price by Vech...I don't see how he can sell it that cheaply when all of the other BMW parts places have it in the $70 range. I'd definitely call him first. Wow!
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Just got done ordering-new ones will apparently be in next week. The price was $25.75 plus shipping; I couldn't be more pleased and thanks so much to the gentleman who made this information available to me. By way of comparison, since the speedo cable on my Honda went out during the trip, (My Second Big Trip), I ordered one of those and a new tach cable for that bike, these were each less than $20 apiece.

Thanks again.

Chuck

Hacker
    Chuck,

Let us know if the part is a BMW part or otherwise. If it is sold under the BMW part number we expect it to be the BMW part but there is no law that says it has to be. I totally do not think Vech would pull a fast one but the price makes me think, know what I mean? Did the Web page include a picture?

You do have to sometimes customize the large rubber grommet to make it fit right. We'll try to explain that when you have it in your hands. This is true for the right part too.

Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    That's an amazing price by Vech...I don't see how he can sell it that cheaply when all of the other BMW parts places have it in the $70 range. I'd definitely call him first. Wow!
    Actually for me, Vech at Bench Mark WORKS, is THE GO TO PLACE for /2, /5, and /6 parts. Not only are his prices better than just super; but his advice is patient and right on. His parts, and most are OEM, FIT.....FIT..........and work right........He is of the BROTHERHOOD, if that is an understood term by even the posers among us......Anyway, a really good guy and outfit to get service and parts from.......God bless.......Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by DennisDarrow View Post
    Actually for me, Vech at Bench Mark WORKS, is THE GO TO PLACE for /2, /5, and /6 parts.
    Dennis -

He is definitely my first (and usually only) call for /2 and older parts. It's amazing what he has on his shelf...IN STOCK...not like any other BMW parts supplier. I really don't concern myself with the price for my older bikes. And his information on the phone is great, although sometimes he builds a Swiss-watch and doesn't really know who I am and what I can do...I guess he's just discussing things down to the lowest common denominator.

I was just shocked at the price differential on this one item. It will be interesting to see how the part works out.