Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Which GPS to get?

RK Ryder
    Glad to hear that I'm not the only one who is perplexed as to why Garmin replaced Map Source with Base Camp. I've tried a few times to master Base Camp but always become frustrated and walk away.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

2. 07-10-2013, 11:29 AM

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Basecamp isn't going away and mapsource is too convoluted to fix. There are no better alternatives right now, but I'm waiting for realtime google earth...
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

550:

Same issue with the SD card--a 4x one; is it possible to delete all old maps and replace with new? Should we really have to use supplemental media for something the unit is sold to do? It can easily take 10 minutes to load maps and music. Is it a real answer to go to a 10x card? I am truly asking.

The interface on the 550 is downright user hostile. To advert that this unit was "designed by bikers for bikers," well, they were probably on a poker/beer run and getting drunker by the moment.
    No qwerty keyboard? Don't you just love spelling things out? And to get to motel or just fricking gas takes how many clicks?

I wish Apple or even Microsoft would make one, at least there would be something user configurable. Wouldn't it be great to have a user configurable GUI? One click from your route and you can choose motels or gas or two or three other items you put there. Base Camp? A real joke, a mean one at that. RoadTrip was no great shakes, but it was easier to use than BaseCamp.
    I for one have NO loyalty to Garmin; when a better product from someone else arises, I am there. If that doesn't happen when I need to replace, I am going to by a cheap one and use a shower cap when it rains. The newer ones are a little better in the user friendly dept. A little.

Oh, and sometimes, just out of the blue the gps powers down. Poltergeists? Powers on fine and now we wait another 10 minutes for the SD card to load
    I write down turn by turn directions and put them in my map case, along with a paper map. To rely on, at least, my 550 is foolhardy.

5. 07-11-2013, 06:36 PM

Garmin is releasing a new one that has a OH display in cars.
    My bike shown here
    Jordan M, MOA #24434
    My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by rockbottom View Post
    I'm with you there. I'm fighting with it right now because I just figured out that Garmin Express will upload the latest maps to my Zumo but not to my computer, so I have a different version on the two. I found a thread on the Garmin web site where one of their people said, "Woopsie--we might fix that in the future." Garmin's senior management must be senile to allow this kind of incompetence.

Check the settings on Express. Mine d'loads to the PC.
    My bike shown here
    Jordan M, MOA #24434
    My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by JayElDee View Post
    550:

Same issue with the SD card--a 4x one; is it possible to delete all old maps and replace with new? Should we really have to use supplemental media for something the unit is sold to do? It can easily take 10 minutes to load maps and music. Is it a real answer to go to a 10x card? I am truly asking.

The interface on the 550 is downright user hostile. To advert that this unit was "designed by bikers for bikers," well, they were probably on a poker/beer run and getting drunker by the moment.
    No qwerty keyboard? Don't you just love spelling things out? And to get to motel or just fricking gas takes how many clicks?

I wish Apple or even Microsoft would make one, at least there would be something user configurable. Wouldn't it be great to have a user configurable GUI? One click from your route and you can choose motels or gas or two or three other items you put there. Base Camp? A real joke, a mean one at that. RoadTrip was no great shakes, but it was easier to use than BaseCamp.
    I for one have NO loyalty to Garmin; when a better product from someone else arises, I am there. If that doesn't happen when I need to replace, I am going to by a cheap one and use a shower cap when it rains. The newer ones are a little better in the user friendly dept. A little.

Oh, and sometimes, just out of the blue the gps powers down. Poltergeists? Powers on fine and now we wait another 10 minutes for the SD card to load
    I write down turn by turn directions and put them in my map case, along with a paper map. To rely on, at least, my 550 is foolhardy.
    My 660 does all the things you complain of. Get out the dark ages, and upgrade.
    My bike shown here
    Jordan M, MOA #24434
    My Blog

Nice Job everyone on another great GPS thread. Perhaps I can procrastinate long enough to where they are a breeze to run.
    I just added this thread to the Best of Forum- GPS.
    http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthre...963#post690963
    OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

10. 07-12-2013, 09:07 AM

I checked every available setting and there was no load to PC. I finally got it to work on my PC by using the old Map Updater as per the recommendation by a Garmin tech, but cannot for the life of me figure out how to get maps I purchased on the Macbook Air I use for travel. Every time I do the install with Express, it just reloads them to the device and leaves the "basic" map set with no detail in the computer. I've asked Garmin to either explain to me how to do that or refund what I paid. If they refuse, I'll contest the charge with my credit card company.
    There was a version of Express released that did not have the load to computer option. Supposedly their next release was going to fix that. Not sure if that was released or not. I simply use their mapinstall utility and it works fine uploading to the unit and the pc.

As to routes not being the same on the gps as how you create them, this is a longstanding issue. A number of things come to mind:

1. the map set the route is created in needs to be the same as the one on the unit.
    2. The "activity" the route is created in needs to be the same as the one on the unit.
    3. The avoidances and any custom avoidances the route is created in needs to be the same as the ones on the unit.
    4. There need to be enough shaping points used to keep it where you want it.
    5. You have to zoom in and examine the route on the PC to assure that waypoints are actually on the roads instead of "200 yards off an exit" for example.
    6. Any speed settings for types of road the route is created in needs to be the same as the ones on the unit.
    7. All navigation settings the route is created in need to be the same as the ones on the unit.

Get all of those things set properly and it should work fine.
    Eventual Master of the Obvious
    SE Mass - SOHC4 - DoD - BMWMOA - EMOTO #1
    ...proud walking jingle in the midnight sun...
    Free Smugmug Discount Coupon: mStnWv71mNkjo

12. 07-12-2013, 03:04 PM

Nope. I did all that long ago. Doesn't resolve the problem.
    I'm not casting aspersions, but really all of them? You have to check after each map and sw update, too, which is easy to overlook.

If yes to the above, I suspect you have a corrupted file of some kind and I would try to download fresh GPS (not map) files from Garmin; they can supply you with a link for that. It is also possible that the map file on your GPS has been corrupted, and I would delete and replace that, too.

14. 07-12-2013, 03:23 PM

It's happened across multiple units.
    Hmm. If every GPS does the same thing, then it points to the source, meaning your PC. That would me me want to uninstall and then re-install all the garmin stuff.

However, are you sure you are using enough via and/or shaping points to tack your route to the roads you want them on? I find that to be key. A slight difference in routing algorithm between BaseCamp and the GPS would send the route differently. I lock mine down with plenty of shaping points. Do not expect that a route with just a starting point and ending point will route identically because they will not. Shaping points are necessary.

Week before last Garmin had me do a master re-set. When that didn't work they said they'd replace it for $60. Since that would be the fifth replacement of the unit in three years, I decided it wasn't worth betting $60 of my money that the next one would work.
    A master reset might have eliminated things you might have done to the unit, but I would still download all new software for the GPS. That's free, but I think they have to tell you the link for it.

At first I hated BaseCamp and clung to MapSource until a conversation with Garmin where the tech said words to the effect routing will be screwed up if you use MapSource because the street segment format is designed for BaseCamp now. I no longer trust any "ROUTE" in either product and make all my routes (not to be confused with a ROUTE) as tracks. If you look closely at your routes you can have bow tie looking things anywhere you have clusters of roads, like cities. You can clean them up as a ROUTE but a track is easier to get exactly what you want and then you can make your ROUTE. It also pays to look closely at a ROUTE when loaded and see if any extra points have been added. I've had that happen and had to delete them to get back to what I want. ANY time you recalc after you have loaded a longer ROUTE, it will change the ROUTE from what you put in. If you get a route from a buddy, and you don't have the same map version and you don't have the same configuration exactly the same, you and your buddy most likely won't follow the same path. Using tracks will fix that issue too. If your buddy sends you his track, you can make sure the ROUTE you make follows the same path he sent you.
    Old But Not Dead
    Semper Fi

17. 07-12-2013, 04:47 PM

That's good to know but it still leaves open the question of what, for the love of Pete, were Garmin's management and software engineers thinking to push a product that forces the user community to search for convoluted work arounds to basic design flaws, whether loading new maps using the old installer rather than the new one, or this work around? Seems to be it would be simpler and better business to develop functional software in the first place rather than rely on your customers to find ways to work through your mistakes.
    Just to get myself in trouble, a place I have dwelt in for too many years, I have to say that most people don't ever see the problems. When Garmin had the GPS45 and other early units you couldn't make a route that crossed itself or returned to the starting point. The new stuff is infinitely better than what was out there even in the Quest and GPS IV when it comes to routing. Routing AIN'T easy. There is a branch of mathematics called topology, I believe, that deals with it in pretty clean examples. Our road network AIN'T clean. I make maps for 911 centers and companies like NavTech buy my data to build those maps. My streets are pretty good, but lots of other places make crap. One person may draw a map where a road going under an interstate actually connects to the interstate. Can you see how that will screw up a routing algorithm? All the roads must me marked and weighted correctly. The reason I mentioned in my previous post about using tracks is that you can adjust your path without all the assumptions that a routing algorithm imposes on you. IMO, don't be too hard on those software guys, they have to make their six figure salaries someway.
    Old But Not Dead
    Semper Fi

19. 07-12-2013, 07:44 PM

So, is the goal just to bitch about Garmin, or to figure out how to put routes on your unit that go where you expect them to?

21. 07-12-2013, 08:37 PM

Both!

So.. start using the insert tool and tack your routes down where you want them.

This is a decent page: http://garminbasecamp.wikispaces.com/Routes

23. 07-12-2013, 09:10 PM

24. 07-12-2013, 09:25 PM

I just now uploaded a route from Base Camp that was 358 miles with 40 waypoints. It showed up on the device as 367. If I recalculate, it shows up as 356. I am 100% certain that when I turn the GPS back on and load the route tomorrow morning, it will be something different.
    Use lots of shaping points, not lots of waypoints, because you may bump into waypoint limits on your GPS unit. The Insert tool. Just tack it down along key roads. It is something you have to work with to develop a feel for. I advise you to make a track of the route and have that showing in a different color so you can see where your route goes astray and then use shaping points to keep it in place.

26. 07-12-2013, 10:42 PM