Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Results 46 to 53 of 53

Thread: Which GPS to get?

  1. #46
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Phila
    Posts
    50

    GPS Feature I Love: Destination viewed only as Compass needle direction.

    You might like riding toward "the destination" by only using a red mark on a virtual compass display. Text display shows the "crow flies" distance remaining. You come to a T intersection and glance at the Garmin display to see that "the destination" is slightly to the right of center, so you can turn right unless the choice to the left looks more interesting.

    My Garmin Nuvi 500 or 550 can do this in "hiker mode." The compass display straight ahead is the direction you are going, sort of like using the angle of sun to get somewhere but it also works on overcast days and at night. Quirk: after you enter the destination, set the mode to "hiking" set display to "compass" then as you get into 2nd gear the GPS realizes its going faster than walking and asks if you want to switch to "automobile" mode, decline with another button push and you are good to go. No recalculating, no words you to need to hear, just steady progress on the smaller roads directly toward where you want to go.

    On the downside, we have been lead to "ferry boats" and smaller and smaller dirt roads that go underwater but were passable. You don't get a pinpoint "arrival time" but you can tell if the crow flies distance is still 100 miles then you know about how long it will take.

  2. 08-06-2013, 10:51 AM

  3. #47
    Registered User greenwald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Sheboygan, WI
    Posts
    3,445
    Quote Originally Posted by rockbottom View Post
    I used to complain vociferously about the sorry state of Pennsylvania roads until I rode through western New York last year. Everything is relative. I drove a Suburban from Kuwait City to Basra in April 2003 and the roads were better. Although, I will admit, there are slightly fewer artillery shells and anti-air missiles laying along side the roads in New York.
    Not to mention heaving from frost!
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

  4. 08-07-2013, 10:31 PM

  5. #48
    Registered User Emoto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    954
    Quote Originally Posted by rockbottom View Post
    I've used it a lot over the past few months and still consider it one of the most bizarrely incompetent programs I've ever encountered. To take the latest example, I just tried to revise a long route I'd built. But the revisions were all cockamamie, reversing courses and the like. Unfortunately, I closed out of the program and re-opened it which means the screwed up version was automatically saved and there was no way to revert. What were the software engineers thinking to design the only program I've ever encountered that does not ask "do you want to save" when you change something?
    Did you try "undo"? It might still work after getting out and back in. Not sure. Easy enough to try.

    Something you can do is to right-click a route and "make copy" then screw around with the copy instead of your original.
    Eventual Master of the Obvious
    SE Mass - SOHC4 - DoD - BMWMOA - EMOTO #1
    ...proud walking jingle in the midnight sun...
    Free Smugmug Discount Coupon: mStnWv71mNkjo

  6. 08-07-2013, 11:50 PM

  7. #49
    Registered User Emoto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    954
    Quote Originally Posted by rockbottom View Post
    Yeah, I tried. I ended up just completely rebuilding the route.

    I know the make copy thing works but that's kind of my larger point--it's a shame that users have to find work arounds to Garmin's design flaws. Every other program in the world asks if a user wants to save changes to something rather than just taking it on itself to save them.
    Yeah, I recall when that change came along in an upgrade. It was a feature. I like to do my own saving.
    Eventual Master of the Obvious
    SE Mass - SOHC4 - DoD - BMWMOA - EMOTO #1
    ...proud walking jingle in the midnight sun...
    Free Smugmug Discount Coupon: mStnWv71mNkjo

  8. #50
    Registered User chewbacca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    144
    Just a "this is how I do it" comment. I make a route using a LOT vertices (a lot of clicks, not sure if each click creates a waypoint or not, but don't care). Just trying to eliminate as much as possible the software choosing the actual path. When I'm done, I take the track and go up it from end to end to see where the software decided not to follow what I want. I've found the it is better to just cut out "bow ties" "zig zags", and other assorted deviations, delete the error section then zoom in tight and make a new "correct" section. When I'm happy with what I have, I merge the section and create a route from it. You may cuss BaseCamp, but at least I can actually get what I want. With MapSource I found that even when I got to what I thought was "what I want" it would not transfer to my Zumo without changes. I'm sure that what I just outlined isn't new to most of you guys, but thought it might be useful to somebody. IMO, programming routing is about as tough as it gets. Our roads and streets are really a lot harder to map than you might think. I have and now manage the people who do it for our County 911 and that is easy compared to making a program select roads for a route.
    Old But Not Dead
    Semper Fi

  9. #51
    Registered User Emoto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    954
    Quote Originally Posted by chewbacca View Post
    Just a "this is how I do it" comment. I make a route using a LOT vertices (a lot of clicks, not sure if each click creates a waypoint or not, but don't care). Just trying to eliminate as much as possible the software choosing the actual path. When I'm done, I take the track and go up it from end to end to see where the software decided not to follow what I want. I've found the it is better to just cut out "bow ties" "zig zags", and other assorted deviations, delete the error section then zoom in tight and make a new "correct" section. When I'm happy with what I have, I merge the section and create a route from it. You may cuss BaseCamp, but at least I can actually get what I want. With MapSource I found that even when I got to what I thought was "what I want" it would not transfer to my Zumo without changes. I'm sure that what I just outlined isn't new to most of you guys, but thought it might be useful to somebody. IMO, programming routing is about as tough as it gets. Our roads and streets are really a lot harder to map than you might think. I have and now manage the people who do it for our County 911 and that is easy compared to making a program select roads for a route.
    I think in BaseCamp, using the pencil icon (insert) tool to tack down a route inserts either "via points" or "shaping points" I am not sure which, but definitely not way points. That is good because you can bump into way point limits per route on some/many of the GPS units.
    Eventual Master of the Obvious
    SE Mass - SOHC4 - DoD - BMWMOA - EMOTO #1
    ...proud walking jingle in the midnight sun...
    Free Smugmug Discount Coupon: mStnWv71mNkjo

  10. #52
    Registered User chewbacca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by EMOTO View Post
    I think in BaseCamp, using the pencil icon (insert) tool to tack down a route inserts either "via points" or "shaping points" I am not sure which, but definitely not way points. That is good because you can bump into way point limits per route on some/many of the GPS units.
    Sorry, had a brain fart. Meant to say "via point" when I mistakenly said "way point." The point was, pun not intended, the longer you have between clicks when making a route, the more opportunity the Garmin routing software has to create unexpected adventures for you.
    Old But Not Dead
    Semper Fi

  11. #53
    Registered User Emoto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    954
    Quote Originally Posted by chewbacca View Post
    Sorry, had a brain fart. Meant to say "via point" when I mistakenly said "way point." The point was, pun not intended, the longer you have between clicks when making a route, the more opportunity the Garmin routing software has to create unexpected adventures for you.
    Gotcha. I completely agree. Their software is like a small child that requires close supervision.
    Eventual Master of the Obvious
    SE Mass - SOHC4 - DoD - BMWMOA - EMOTO #1
    ...proud walking jingle in the midnight sun...
    Free Smugmug Discount Coupon: mStnWv71mNkjo

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •