Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: /5 Flasher Relay Woes (Mounting and vibration issues/etc)

Hey all, so I finally got around to getting a new relay connector. Definitely fixed the problem of intermittent flashers.

On a separate note. I still have no friggin clue how to properly affix the hella assembly to the original OEM rubber mount (it has two bonded threads on both sides of it).

The problem is that the 4mm nut that fits down in the center of the hella connector leaves absolutely no room for a socket wrench/etc. (deep socket or otherwise).

How the hell did these things attach originally? I think somewhere along the line some parts changed and no one updated the diagrams/fiche.

Know this sounds silly but I really want to keep everything stock if possible. The panhead screw fix works if you are using a DIY rubber spacer (or no spacer). But with the original bonded threaded rubber part it seems impossible to secure the connector assembly.

I looked at some of the junk parts I have around.

The brown Hella part has a square recess hole molded into it

The original setup seems to have a square nut in this recess that cannot turn in the confined space

So to attach the rubber part with two threaded projections one would simply drop the nut into the recess
    and hold in with something like the eraser end of a pencil and then screw the rubber part into the nut
    from the bottom side

If you do not have a large enough nut to be prevented from turning in the square recess then just stick
    a small screwdriver blade into the recess alongside the nut and then screw the rubber part on

Then mount the combined hella part and its now attached rubber part to the metal bracket in the bucket

Ahah! This makes total sense now! Sad the bmw microfiche shows the nut in the diagram but they put it below the hella connector and even then it isnt available by any dealerships or listed as an actual part (not even NLA).

Quote Originally Posted by 44006 View Post
    I looked at some of the junk parts I have around.

The brown Hella part has a square recess hole molded into it

The original setup seems to have a square nut in this recess that cannot turn in the confined space

So to attach the rubber part with two threaded projections one would simply drop the nut into the recess
    and hold in with something like the eraser end of a pencil and then screw the rubber part into the nut
    from the bottom side

If you do not have a large enough nut to be prevented from turning in the square recess then just stick
    a small screwdriver blade into the recess alongside the nut and then screw the rubber part on

Then mount the combined hella part and its now attached rubber part to the metal bracket in the bucket