Thread: /5 Flasher Relay Woes (Mounting and vibration issues/etc)

Hybrid View

/5 Flasher Relay Woes (Mounting and vibration issues/etc)

Hey all,

So I replaced the flasher relay on my bike almost a year ago. The relay itself is a mechanical switch relay and its been working great until about a week ago. I noticed a few issues:

1. Relay is loose in the 'hella' three prong terminal
    2. Entire relay/terminal assembly is also loose and is barely fitted on the screw / rubber mount assembly.

I figure its possible the amount of vibration at freeway speed + lack of secure mount for the relay and hella terminal could be contributin to the loose fitting relay as well.

Ive looked at the microfiche and have found most of the parts for the relay to mount to the headlight bucket, but the diagrams are pretty small.

Does anyone happen to have a better/clear picture on how this all is supposed to secure to the mounting plate within the headlight bucket?

Do you think it may be time to replace the hella terminal assembly?

Cheers all!

-j

No one?

Not sure I have any info, jbf. I was hoping that Lew or even Ken would chime in...they've both have /5s...Ken has been doing some recent work in his headlight shell. I actually check on his thread a few pages back but didn't see anything that I figured would help. Maybe you should page back looking for Ken Tuvman's thread on his headlight work...maybe you'll see something that helps you.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Awesome. Thanks for the Info kurt. I sent a PM to Ken Tuvman so hopefully he'll be able to shed some light on the subject.

I'll share the information with everyone once I hear back.

Cheers!

-Jonathan

Inside bucket 1971 R75/5

Pic shows orig BMW mount and non-BMW ordinary auto parts flasher plugged into it
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Jonathon - if t/s relay not fitting snugly in socket could it be the relay is not OEM?
    Mine is a Lucas, came on the bike and fits snugly - the socket is just stuffed inside the headlight bucket - not attached to anything. Do you have a Haynes or Clymer service manual? You need a schematic if you plan on spending time inside the bucket.

How long have you had the bike? Where in LA do you live? Are you aware of Airheads.org? They publish a monthly newsletter and also host various tech days - if you need contact info let me know.

Your problem is solve-able - if you're interested in DIY, it will take some focus and patience. Lew Morris, on our forum, is one of the most knowledgeable and nicest persons you'll find in our Airhead Forum - let me know how it goes

P.S. If you're not aware of Hucky's Spare Parts, he sells many new slash 5 parts - he won't do diagnosis via email or phone - another good resource is Craig "Vech" - his website is probably listed in Kurt's resource link under his signature line - Craig will help you over the phone and also should have parts to sell you if you need a new socket or t/s relay.
    Ken Tuvman
    Excelsior, MN
    K75s, R65LS, R60/5

Quote Originally Posted by 44006 View Post
    Inside bucket 1971 R75/5

Pic shows orig BMW mount and non-BMW ordinary auto parts flasher plugged into it

Can you perhaps get a clearer image of the actual mount or at least some sort of information on how the flasher is secured to the rubber mount?

Mine will just sit on the rubber mount post/screw and it easily jiggles and shakes around.