Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: oops. big mistake

Post#9, item 1, is the better answer. It needs to be looked @ with a knowledgeable eye -IN PERSON!,(and by someone thats not slathering at the prospect of an into your wallet experience) not decided via a website about AB/paint work. If your lucky it can be scuffed & cleared again, if not $$$. I once owned a Walkman that had my poncho etched into the plastic (and somewhat attached too) via Deet.
    We need the "club volunteer" to spray ... well, I was gonna crack a joke but the OP is suffering enough
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

Spray vs. liquid deet;

I never knew this would do paint in! Sorry for your issue here, but I bought the wipe on liquid Deet from REI a few years ago called "Jungle juice". Its 98% Deet. I never did like the sprays anyhow, breathing it and all. The liquid works really good, just don't drip it on paint I see? Thanks for the heads up, as I ride Alaska next month and figure to need the deet soon enough. Funny and sad how them little critters(mosquitoes) can cause so much grief. I remember Florida and those Love Bugs too, flying all about in certain times of year. They killed paint too and we frequently sprayed Pam on our front paint panels to keep them from killing the paint. Washed it off at end of days. Good luck. Randy

Ah that sux. I would consult with a custom painter in person, not over the phone with the affected parts. He may take an interest and try to solve your problem on the spot with very little cost to you. Sounds like it would at least require three stages of compounding-polish and maybe that would not do the job. As some others suggested wet sanding may be required. Best to let a pro that has been there tackle it, lessons are sometimes expensive. Hope for the best for you.

If you're a do-it-yourselfer, check into the McGuire's 3-2-1 polishing/restoration kit.

Body shop

+1

The BMW dealer did a great touch up on my wife's car (various small paint problems). Paint professionals can get it right.
    Eric * Columbia SC
    Piedmont Red 2006 R1200RT

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    I would check with a good detailing shop that cleans and reconditions used cars for resale. They have the expertise and the materials to turn an abused or mistreated car back into a nice vehicle. My brother has a paint and body shop that works with a new car dealership and he has learned tricks from them.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

results

ok, knowing full well my lack of patience with such matters, I took the advice of some of the forum members and took the screwed up side case to an EXPERIENCED body man. He was able to fine sand and buff out the problem without paint or clear coat, and the cost was minimal. Also, he told me that it is IMPERATIVE that you keep a good coat of good wax on any plastic body parts. In fact, he went so far as to say that if I had been waxing properly, that the bug spray wouldn't have been an issue!! Never having owned a vehicle before that was mostly plastic, I was totally clueless about this. So, maybe we have all learned something here. Everytime you wash your bike, be sure to re-wax with a good quality wax, especially on plastic body parts.

Glad the paint problem got resolved. If that had happened to me, I wouldn't have talked to me for at least a week, maybe longer.

FWIW, the waxing tip is something I got in the habit of many years ago. I rarely wax the whole bike (or car, or truck) at one time, but developed a routine of waxing a portion after every washing. So, on the car I might do the hood/front fenders one time, then the top/trunk lid the next, etc, etc. keeps a good deep coat of wax on, and makes the vehicle easier to keep clean. A bit obsessive, but a habit from keeping fire trucks shiny.

Cheers!
    Bill Johnston

Quote Originally Posted by 181512 View Post
    ok, knowing full well my lack of patience with such matters, I took the advice of some of the forum members and took the screwed up side case to an EXPERIENCED body man. He was able to fine sand and buff out the problem without paint or clear coat, and the cost was minimal. Also, he told me that it is IMPERATIVE that you keep a good coat of good wax on any plastic body parts. In fact, he went so far as to say that if I had been waxing properly, that the bug spray wouldn't have been an issue!! Never having owned a vehicle before that was mostly plastic, I was totally clueless about this. So, maybe we have all learned something here. Everytime you wash your bike, be sure to re-wax with a good quality wax, especially on plastic body parts.
    Glad it worked out for you. With the concentration of DEET you were using, he may be right....With 100% DEET, you need to be real careful as it's sorta a solvent used to repel bugs.
    OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

Excellent course of action

Quote Originally Posted by 181512 View Post
    I'm late to the thread but you did exactly what I was going to suggest. Had a couple of issues with my sidecases (toppeling issues early in my riding career, and getting runnover by a truck and trailer last October, see next months BMO ON issue, MOTOSAFE meets Dealer Profile) I have a local guy that matches the paint perfect. Also had my run-ins with DEET don't use it any more, too many better alternatives. Side case shells are quick and easy to get re-painted and don't cost much to boot. I'm glad you were able to get some satisfaction and get your ride looking good again.
    2005 R1200RT
    BMWMOA # 143779
    "Positive Habit Transfer is no substitute for Situational Awareness."

I got his off the net

Don't know if it works but,
    When using bug spray, the residue often gets left behind on surrounding surfaces. When it comes to Plexiglas and similar hard, non-porous surfaces, the bug spray typically leaves behind a hazy film that can be sticky, slippery and unattractive. To keep the Plexiglas surface looking its best, you must safely remove the bug spray without damaging the Plexiglas.

Fill a spray bottle with 2 cups water, 1 cup white vinegar and 4 drops dish soap. Shake the bottle to mix ingredients.

Mist the spray over the Plexiglas surface and scrub the Plexiglas gently with a cleaning rag. Continue across the plexiglass until all bug spray is removed.

Allow the Plexiglas to air dry. The combination of vinegar and dish soap cuts through the bug spray and leaves behind no residue.

DW
    1978 R100rs MOA#22600 125cc Kymco
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.

Unhappy

The only other things I found on the net is, that you can't get it off; its a chemical reaction. One poster said he got it off with sandpaper; I'm not trying to make a joke, just stating a fact. Good luck with it and thanks for posting as I will be very careful with that stuff from now on. I'm in Taiwan and use too much of that stuff.

DW
    1978 R100rs MOA#22600 125cc Kymco
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.