Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: oops. big mistake

oops. big mistake

need help with a paint/body work problem. As everyone knows, 'skeeters here in Florida are a big problem. When I am in the garage, I have to spray myself liberally with deep woods off in order to do anything. Unfortunately, the overspray got all over the plastic bodywork on my 2012 1200rt, side cases mostly. Also unfortunately, I didn't notice it right away, so it had a chance to stick!! Now it looks like a case of a really bad paint job; like little "fish eyes" all over. I have tried Windex, soap and water, carnuba cleaner/wax, light polishing compound, all to no avail. Anyone got any ideas?

And you regularly put that stuff on your skin. .. .. .?

OFF's active ingredient is DEET, it was developed for the Army (Viet Nam)

DEET is an effective solvent,[4] and may dissolve some plastics, rayon, spandex, other synthetic fabrics, and painted or varnished surfaces including nail polish.
    See -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEET

At this point you might consider giving the part a "paint job" using more OFF... maybe you can get the fish eyes to connect into one surface - I joke.
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Like most things that are real effective, DEET does have some drawbacks. It would be interesting to see what the concentration of DEET was in the product you used. Without seeing it, if it's a real problem, I'd get the recommendation of a high-end body shop in your area and let them take a peek.
    Good luck and Welcome to the Forum. Gary
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

deet

25% deet. Sorry guys, don't need the sarcasm. I admitted to my stupid mistake and I'm asking for help. I don't think ruining paint on a $20,000 motorcycle is a joke.

I have repellent that is 100% DEET - it is very effective but until it dries completely it does melt vinyl and plastic. I try to be very careful where I am standing when I spray it, and wash my hands after spraying to make sure I am not leaving fingerprints in anything I might touch. I'd suggest you try rubbing compound (again) in hopes that the damage is only in the clear coat. If you cannot rub it out, you will likely need to have the affected parts repainted.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

Does it look like the bug spray physically damaged the surface of the clear coat on your paint? In that case you're in for a trip to a body shop. If it's a matter of the dried bug spray adhering to the surface (like paint over-spray) you could try using a clay bar. Good luck.

Sometimes you gotta learn the hard way. I avoid DEET when I can since it ruins finishes. It's especially bad for guitars. You may need to pony up for a repaint.
    Nate R
    2013 R1200RT 90th - "Tyr" - Purchased 12/13/2013 brand new!
    2007 R1200S - "Sexy Beast"
    2006 R1200RT "Wōden" - 84k - Retired and sold

I would try some detailers clay, mcguires, mothers and a bunch of others make it
    Keep the clay wet with instant detailer
    If this doesn't work try wet sanding as a last resort before respray
    Keep your fingers crossed

25% deet. Sorry guys, don't need the sarcasm. I admitted to my stupid mistake and I'm asking for help.
    Sorry you took it that way. My apologies.

Detail clays are good idea... abrasive, but not too abrasive. My guess is that the DEET has etched it's way all the way through the clear coat and into the color coat so I wouldn't expect too much.

Other Alternatives.

1 - Take them to an automotive paint shop and see if the techs can wet sand them out. It would take a deft hand and a series of fine grades (600-800-1500-2000) abrasives to get the job done. The panels would still require a fresh coat of clear to bring the surface gloss back. Again, my guess is that the DEET has etched it's way all the way through the clear coat and into the color coat so I wouldn't expect too much.

2 - Pick up a can of Krylon Fusion Clear Gloss and apply over the entire panel; the "specks" should get covered by it. If you've waxed the surface you're done, you won't get much to adhere to the surface.

3 - live with it ....

I'd go with option 1 and at least talk to the shop manager about it and have him recommend a local custom bike painter for the job.
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

This site has lots of products to restore finish.

http://www.autogeek.net/detailingtoo...FbNj7AodTmUAVQ

I think you can ask a question and get an answer back.
    Tom
    '84 R100RT '04 CLC(gone) Honda NT700V
    BMW
    Beer Motorcycles Women

Quote Originally Posted by 181512 View Post
    25% deet.
    I had a feeling that it was less than 100%, which is good for you. Chances are, with a little finesse, you will be in good shape. Brake fluid is kinda a bugger on a nice finish also. Good luck. OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

thanks for all the suggestions. Sorry if I seemed a little "touchy" but I'm pretty upset with my own stupidity. I thought as you got older, you were supposed to get wiser. not so. Thanks again, Don

thanks for all the suggestions. Sorry if I seemed a little "touchy" but I'm pretty upset with my own stupidity. I thought as you got older, you were supposed to get wiser. not so. Thanks again, Don
    We've all been there.
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

GlenFeld
    I agree with the 3 ideas mentioned - adding some options
    overall
    - try the clay first, but agree, probably little success - the solvent has pitted the clear - but it's a cheap try
    - try to rub out with a buffer and a series of polish grits from course to final finish - but the clear may get real thin by conclusion
    If at that time, no satisfaction, the wet-sand is the next step. I've done that and patience resulted in success. Of course, the clear was off and I was down to color.

I'd look for something better than Krylon clear - see the automotive guys for a better product than what is available at a WalMart. I've used Dupli-Color with satisfaction - kinda.
    - been there before - was resolving a scratch on my Titan Silver '07 and it was perfect, until I rushed the project and ended up raising the paint with clear coat because is was still soft.

Good luck - even a mistake can be considered a success - you've just learned how NOT to do something.

I thought as you got older, you were supposed to get wiser. not so. Thanks again, Don
    Actually, as you get older, you do get wiser. That added wisdom comes from experience. Personally, though I'm sorry to hear of your problem, I'm also very happy to be reminded that Deet and cured paint aren't friends. Oddly, I actually worked with that crap in Nam and completely forgot how nasty it is.

The recommendation to visit a good paint and body shop is a good one. I was stunned to see what my local shop can do without opening a can of paint. Good luck.
    Nom de Plume:
    Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM
    BMW MOA #6218
    IBA# 442