Thread: intermittent power loss 1993 K1100RS

intermittent power loss 1993 K1100RS

Been having this problem the last couple days, the bike will loose power, not completely, just a serious reduction, like its not running on all 4 cyclinders. Usually only for a second or two then back to normal, however yesterday it was for a couple minutes.

I also noticed that the tachometer stops working when this happens.

Doesn't seem to be heat related, when it happened yesterday I had only gone less than a mile and it cleared up after a couple minutes.

I spent the morning checking and cleaning all electrical connections (spray contact cleaner and dielectric grease), replaced plugs, cleaned airfilter,etc. The battery was a little low, so I will pick up a new one next week.

As with any intermittent problems, it seems fine for the moment,,,,,,,,,,,

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Mike
    Mike Currin
    93 K1100RS / EML Speed 2000 sidecar
    89 Honda GB 500
    67 Triumph 650 Chopper

Hey Mike,
    I had similar symptoms on my K100RS when the battery crapped out. Bike would die momentarily like the ignition had cut off, then come back just fine for a few minutes. New battery cured the problem in that case. Good luck.
    Bob Weis
    '04 K12RS - Hannigan Hack
    www.earplugco.com

I had a similar problem with an 85 K100RS

I cannot definatively comment on your model year, but in my case the under tank connector which powers the fuel pump got old and loose. Reseating and cleaning it only briefly solved the problem - take off the tupperware, let the bike idle and try jiggling this connector. If it duplicates the problem, you are there.

Known problem on the older Bricks.

So far so good,

After cleaning all the electrical connectors, new plugs, and a new battery it ran flawlessly on the way to work this morning, hopefully its fixxed.

Thanks

Mike
    Mike Currin
    93 K1100RS / EML Speed 2000 sidecar
    89 Honda GB 500
    67 Triumph 650 Chopper