Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Helmets are being questioned??

I don't wear a helmet solely for protection from head injury. I use it primarily to make myself more visible to other motorists by wearing a white full-face and have added some reflective tape as well.

A helmet also is for comfort, to keep june bugs and bumble bees from colliding directly with my face as well as rain and to extend my riding season greatly. I just don't see too many helmetless riders when the temps drop below 60F. Most of that crowd don't ride when it drops below 80F.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that wearing a helmet for protection from head injury is just a small part of what a helmet can do for you.

Harry
    2003 R1150RT - Silver

A few years back a dealer in Florida,I think, He was just going to move a bike in the lot. He dropped it an cracked his head. He died from that.

So you do not have to be on the road to have a FATAL blow w/o a helmet.
    MT helmet
    [COLOR=Red]NO ONE ELSE ADMITS IT[FONT=Courier New]

Take focus off

Quote Originally Posted by redsky49 View Post
    My concern in starting this thread is that people who should know better are perpetuating this falsehood:

"There has been a lot of controversy about the effectiveness of helmets"

I had hoped that the author of this statement would defend it publicly. With the zealot-like attention to ATGATT among BMW riders, it seems very curious that the foremost safety device would be so described.
    I agree that if you just read that one sentence you might have concern.

Read the whole article a few times and take the focus off that one sentence. Anyone who rides (even cool Harley riders like myself) knows that a helmet is safer than no helmet at all. And, no one who rides with a helmet now will be influenced by that sentence not to wear a helmet.

I think the only controversy is whether mandatory helmet laws infringe on Constitutional rights.

DW
    1978 R100rs MOA#22600 125cc Kymco
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.

We have no mandatory helmet laws. I still wear one.

I see many others without.
    My bike shown here
    Jordan M, MOA #24434
    My Blog

No longer a member here
    Quote Originally Posted by 22600 View Post
    I think the only controversy is whether mandatory helmet laws infringe on Constitutional rights.

DW
    Did we ever have the same discussions when wearing a seatbelt became a law?

Retired User
    Quote Originally Posted by EMSimon View Post
    Did we ever have the same discussions when wearing a seatbelt became a law?
    Yes.
    Bill Mayer
    MOA #98888
    R1200RT

I had a co-worker ask me one day how I could wear a helmet and all of my gear on a 90+ degree day. Her - "Doesn't it make you hot and sweaty?" Me - "That's why they make shampoo and body wash."
    SABMWRA MOA #62
    2005 BMW R1200RT
    2008 Honda CBR1000RR LE
    1984 Kawasaki 750 Turbo E1

Quote Originally Posted by 98lee View Post
    " There has been a lot of controversy about the effectiveness of helmets; most studies show that helmets save lives."

MOST studies?????? I can not imagine ANY serious study saying that they DON'T save lives.

The ones financed by HOG.
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

Quote Originally Posted by tonyfr View Post
    I had a co-worker ask me one day how I could wear a helmet and all of my gear on a 90+ degree day. Her - "Doesn't it make you hot and sweaty?" Me - "That's why they make shampoo and body wash."
    I've been asked whether full gear is too hot to ride in, my answer is always the same.

"If you think wearing the riding suit is hot, imagine your skin being abraded by the road at 100 Km/h...............Now that's hot!"

Of course some reply that if I was a better rider I wouldn't crash and that's partially true, however the real issue is that I'm not smart enough to predict the exact time of my accident.

If I could predict the exact time, I would change into the riding suit a minute prior to the accident, or even better, park the bike for 2 minutes..........Rod.
    Work is the curse of the riding class

After discovering that my lane was covered with gravel, and my bike no longer wanted a passenger, I went over the bars, did a split S and landed on my back. As I skipped down the pavement, I heard my helmet grinding against the asphalt. I got up and road six hours home with a sore toe. My head was just fine. NOBODY can convince me that a helmet doesn't save lives, it saved mine.
    Old But Not Dead
    Semper Fi

3 Red Bricks
    Quote Originally Posted by ponch1 View Post
    The ones financed by HOG.
    Again, I said SERIOUS studies.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Helmet test Same discovery

Quote Originally Posted by chewbacca View Post
    After discovering that my lane was covered with gravel, and my bike no longer wanted a passenger, I went over the bars, did a split S and landed on my back. As I skipped down the pavement, I heard my helmet grinding against the asphalt. I got up and road six hours home with a sore toe. My head was just fine. NOBODY can convince me that a helmet doesn't save lives, it saved mine.

On my way to the Missoula rally from Texas a few years ago, I tested my $75. full face helmet in Yellowstone. I came up on some pea gravel at a bridge and then the next moment, my bike did a flip forward and I went skidding down the pavement on my face. I was fully protected with gear and came out with only a bruised thigh and a helmet with deep gouges and scratches. Most of them were on the chin guard, shield and front top of helmet. My bike lost its rs shield in the flip but didn't break it; I strapped it on the back and rode the rest of the way to Missoula very carefully. A cheap helmet is better than no helmet at all.

DW
    1978 R100rs MOA#22600 125cc Kymco
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.

No longer a member here
    My first on the street motorcycle accident happened when I was 17. I lowsided and slid and tumbled about 100 ft on the asphalt. I got up and had a few bad abrasions on my knees, elbows and right wrist. I got back up on the bike that had a slightly bent footpeg and shift lever and a hole in the fiberglass fairing and rode home. There I took my helmet off and saw a big section rubbed off of the surface right on the side of my head. I didn't even recognized it happen.

Dale Rudolph
    Remember about a year ago, some Harley riders had a protest ride against helmets, one of them went down and died from head injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudyjo View Post
    Remember about a year ago, some Harley riders had a protest ride against helmets, one of them went down and died from head injuries.
    Yes, it was in New York.

Harry
    2003 R1150RT - Silver