Thread: Regional Road Food!

Regional Road Food!

Tell us about the food you've found or stumbled on while on the road. Let us know what places and food you go out of your way to get back to. Some of you take pictures, too...that would be nice to see as well. Sometimes it's about the journey, sometimes it's about the destination. Heck, sometimes it's about the food!

Be sure to include the city and state in the post title...that makes it easy to spot something interesting, nearby, or on the way.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

For good "American" style food in good quantities at great prices in my area: Lexington,KY-2 locations in town- TRY Cheddars! One of our favorites! They are also in WV & a new one on I-75 at exit 41(I think this is correct but close) & a few other locations.
    Some good Mexican in this area is Mt. Sterling,KY: El Rodeo; Lexington,KY: El Torro & Jalepenos. Knoxville,KY try Aubrey's -several locations.
    Another local with 3 locations in KY is Cattleman's Steakhouse, new one in Mt Sterling,KY/I-64 & others on same I-road nearer to Louisville/Frankfort,KY-try chicken,steaks,ribs & super salad bar.
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

If you happen to be riding on the Natchez Trace Parkway a stop in Tupelo, MS @ Crossroads Rib Shack is a great spot for barbecue. Delicious pulled pork and Beef brisket. The ribs are "fall off the bone tender"
    and are done with a dry rub that is so good you will not want to put any sauce on them.

been there done that rib thing on trace
    I like Sonny's BBQ really well. Not approved by American Heart Assoc..
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

Shoreline Brewery

There are many good Amish restaurants in of Michigan City, and northern Indiana. But if you want a good beer and very good food, try Shoreline in Michigan City. Very good food as well a some excellent brewed beers.
    Close to Blue Chip is you want to loose your shirt too.
    Tom
    '84 R100RT '04 CLC(gone) Honda NT700V
    BMW
    Beer Motorcycles Women

The Wisconsin BMW Club has club rides every riding month. The last two falls, I led a ride to Cheese factory outlets. 2013 was N/E Wisconsin, this year it was Southwest Wisconsin around the Monroe area. We always finish the ride with a stop at a local food spot. This year, it was Baumgartner's, in Monroe, known for it's Limburger cheese sandwich. A local cheese factory in that area is the only place in the U.S. that makes Limberger cheese. Needless to say, it takes a special nose for it. It is commonly referred to as "stinky-cheese", but the taste is mild.
    Karen Jacobs
    2012 R 1200 RT
    MOA-133005, RA32109, IBA #37923

Y'all will think this is crazy but I'm going to post it anyway. If you happen to be riding through small-town west Texas or parts of New Mexico you might happen upon a Stripes convenience store. If you see the green Laredo Taco Co. sign, and if it happens to be time for breakfast or lunch their Mexican food is excellent. They serve burritos as well as breakfast or dinner plates. This is not ordinary gas station food.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

"Y'all"?

You have been down in Dixie awhile, haven't you?
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

While I cannot speak for Paul's use of "y'all", my people in KS have made fun of my "acquired accent" for many years. In KY it has a name amongst locals, who call it "putting on airs"- or in my way of explanation-faking it, as in trying to be someone/something your not!
    Shame on you Paul G.
    Seriously,I've found good homemade burritos in CO gas stations too.

Good time to ask again-who decided KY is in the midwest region on forum? They had never heard of the Mason-Dixon Line!

Pappy's Smokehouse - St. Louis, MO

Great place for BBQ on Olive St. in downtown St. Louis. Expect to stand in line for a bit. Sorry I forgot to take a picture until half way finished. Here's the remainder of my 1/2-slab of ribs.

http://www.pappyssmokehouse.com/

Pappys.jpg
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!