Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: How many stop at a stop sign............???

we all live in different riding environments, with different conditions. For me (and others, I am sure), many of the stop signs I encounter can be accurately assessed as I am approaching them, with clear sight lines of sufficient distance to roll up, stop, and go, no long pause needed.
    Don't automatically assume that every stop sign requires a foot down stop to determine safety conditions. Nor should any of us assume that every stop allows for a foot up stop&go. In unfamiliar territory, foot down is certainly safer. Practicing "pause-n-go" stops is something we all should be doing. Not because we want to use it all the time, but because that practice helps us attain better overall control of our bikes during slow speed riding.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

I also thought no stop needed, just a pause, until I was hit hard one night in a cage about a tenth of a mile from home I grew up in, had paper route in, rode bicycles in, and had walked to school threw this intersection. I stopped for a quick look at stop sign, it was dark so I guess I only looked for headlights. Slamed by young man going about 50 in a 30 mph zone, with no headlights on. Ended up in traction for three days, a month in hospital and 12 weeks in body cast. I guess I learned a life lesson on that one quick stop. That was in 1981 and I still feel it every day.
    Last edited by junkjohn; 07-19-2013 at 01:48 PM.
    John Simonds
    2008 R 1200 GSA
    1975 850 Norton Roadster
    If it ain"t broke... fix it till it is.

Quote Originally Posted by EMSimon View Post
    It is not about time. It is about moving your feet from the footpegs down and back up. When you have arthritis in your hips and your legs hurt, this movement becomes a painful chore.....
    Mike, that's a good consideration.

We were just at the Back to Biltmore rally and on a couple of the long hauls I was hoping for a stop sign so I could stretch my legs out.......It gave me a slight idea of your issue......Rod.
    Work is the curse of the riding class

I stop every time...sometimes.

Douglas Williams
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSw0b8DP9rw

This is the "approved" legal stop.

Doug
    Sent from a Galaxy, far, far away

Quote Originally Posted by bikerfish1100 View Post
    we all live in different riding environments, with different conditions. For me (and others, I am sure), many of the stop signs I encounter can be accurately assessed as I am approaching them, with clear sight lines of sufficient distance to roll up, stop, and go, no long pause needed.
    +1

Situation also depends whether I have a passenger - I can do a feet-up full stop by myself, but a passenger can just turn her head and throw your balance off enough, and you can't get your feet down fast enough. If I can see enough to make a solid assessment, I do a near-stop, feet up. If I can't, I do a full stop, feet down - more often, the latter.

PD
    "It's a simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, and sometimes, it rains. Think about that."
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" Laloosh
    Current: R1200RT, K1200GT Prior: Honda VTX1300C, Yamaha FZ6, Honda Shadow 600

I'm a re-entry rider. I usually stop at all stop signs and put one foot down. Why? I came down a country road to a T intersection where I planned to turn right. I thought I haven't seen any traffic so I'll just slow down, look and go without stopping and putting the foot down. Just as I got to the point where I was going to continue after the slowdown, a school bus came through at a quick pace and I was forced to put on the brakes and foot down. I was at that point where the bike was moving very slowly with the front wheel turned and a slight lean and I could have easily dropped it. Scared the heck out of me.
    Walter

All government, of course, is against liberty.
    H. L. Mencken

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    This thread had an impact on me this week. On Monday, I rode out for lunch. On the way home, I had to stop for a car turning left in front of me. I decided to see if I could stop without putting my foot down (the car was only going to be in my way for a moment). About the time I got stopped and before I put my foot down, I was struck in the rear by a nice 84 year old gentleman. I realized what had happened about the time I found myself laying on the pavement. I could not have stopped the accident but I would have seen him coming under normal circumstances. Fortunately, he was not going fast and I am only sore. I am waiting on the insurance adjuster to get back with me regarding the damage to the rear and the entire right side of my Burgman. At least a scooter doesn't land on your leg and at almost 500 pounds, it probably absorbes an impact as well as a R1200R.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

I put a foot down. Figure if a car that does not have to balance can look both ways but miss the bike that is coming and pull out in front of them, then what might I be missing trying to stop, balance and assess the situation to make sure it is clear. Figure if I want to be treated like a car, then I should act like a car. A law is a law. Stop means stop, red means stop etc. Next time someone rolls one in your neighborhood with your kids playing ball in the street or while your walking the dog, don't bitch if you are one of those that roll it some times.
    2005 K1200LT-Ocean Blue
    2013 Ural Patrol - White
    2007 R1200GS-Granite Gray-Sold
    2004 R1150R-Titan Silver-Sold

after reading this and a previous thread on which way to turn the front wheel when parking , I think I'll get rid of my K and just ride the Ural. 2 wheelers are soooo complicated to drive
    1987 K75S
    Original litter
    Original owner
    2012 Ural Gear Up

Quote Originally Posted by 35634 View Post
    after reading this and a previous thread on which way to turn the front wheel when parking , I think I'll get rid of my K and just ride the Ural. 2 wheelers are soooo complicated to drive
    I'm with ya, my Patrol will hopefully be here in a week or so!!
    2005 K1200LT-Ocean Blue
    2013 Ural Patrol - White
    2007 R1200GS-Granite Gray-Sold
    2004 R1150R-Titan Silver-Sold

Quote Originally Posted by sit View Post
    I'm with ya, my Patrol will hopefully be here in a week or so!!
    COOL! Be sure to post it here and over on sovietsteeds.com , I'm chaos2 over there
    1987 K75S
    Original litter
    Original owner
    2012 Ural Gear Up

On two wheels, stopping, depends on the what I'm riding. Motorcycle, I always stop, takes no real effort, in Calif a foot does not have to go down to be a legal stop. All forward motion must come to a halt in order to be legal. On my bicycles, during my club rides and work outs, I only stop when there is traffic visible in any direction.