Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: How many stop at a stop sign............???

MMMM, used to do the slow approach, balance thing and go...until last week. I was approaching a four way stop intersection with no other traffic approaching I stopped (in my car) but not really long enough, glanced left/right and proceeded through, then had too stomp on the brakes because another car just blasted through the intersection at 40 mph.... he never saw the stop sign just kept on going. Made me think If I'd done what I usually do when on my airhead I would've been a speed bump, now I make it a point to look and pay attention, sometimes, I believe when we are in a hurry we see only what we want to see and not completely process the situation. Just my .02....
    Glenn
    ...driving to work on my airhead
    '74 R60/6, '75 R60/6(boxes)

Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    To all who roll through stop signs(in/on anything with wheels!) may you have a bad hair day-or worse! Rant over...
    Failing to put a foot down is not automatically "roll(ing) through a stop sign". it may very well be a "failure to touch a foot to ground while fully stopped". There is a difference.

Does helmet hair constitute a bad hair day, or is that a special category all it's own?
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Quote Originally Posted by lkraus View Post
    "STOP" is a pretty unambiguous word. I might not need to put a foot down if sight lines are clear as I approach the sign, but the rotational speed of my wheels reaches zero before I proceed. Most of the time I can balance long enough to check traffic in both directions without touching down. I'm not aware of any laws requiring touchdown; that might be awkward for car drivers.
    +1
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

3 Red Bricks
    Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    To all who roll through stop signs(in/on anything with wheels!) may you have a bad hair day-or worse! Rant over...
    I agree with kantuckid. I REALLY dislike the people that roll through stop signs, especially in our neighborhood, with all the pedestrians and children.

I ALWAYS stop at stop signs. I just don't always put my foot down.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Nickname: Droid
    Yup, stop for all stop signs,....but foot/feet down only when I have to. I too like the challenge of coming to a stop, no tires rolling, feet up and them power up smoothly. Not that hard to do really.

I agree, but... I also agree with what greenwald said: "While I can produce such a stop in perfect balance, too much attention is focused on that 'skill' and not on situational awareness." On city streets or in heavy traffic I'll almost always put my foot down. Lonely country roads are another matter.

Besides, there are better ways to practice your balance:

3 Red Bricks
    Quote Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
    I agree, but... I also agree with what greenwald said: "While I can produce such a stop in perfect balance, too much attention is focused on that 'skill' and not on situational awareness."
    The situational awareness should ALWAYS come FIRST. THEN, based on that situation, you decide feet up or down. ALWAYS leave the option to put a foot (or both) down should the initial situation change.

It's pretty dumb to first decide "I'm not going to put my feet down at the next intersection" and then once you are almost stopped acess the situation. That's Bassackwards!

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Stop signs ??

Here in Taiwan there are no stop signs; it's who ever gets into the intersection first that has right-of-way. Of course you can have right of way and still be dead.

The larger intersections have signal lights but when you get a green light to go, you usually have to wait until at least three cars fly through the red light in order to proceed safely.

Bottom line here is that I always come to a complete stop and look both ways before I proceed. I believe in Texas you have to come to a compete stop or pay the price if caught.

DW
    1978 R100rs MOA#22600 125cc Kymco
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.

When I was a kid in Idaho we called the "rolling stop" a "California stop". Now that I live in California, I know why. Still, the only time I've been pulled over on a bike was when I slowly rolled through a rural intersection and got popped by a county sheriff's deputy (no ticket, just a stern warning). Do I still roll through the occasional intersection? Yep. So do the cops, and everyone else, I notice. I also notice that lots of drivers exceed the posted speed limits. That seems pretty unambiguous, too...we have these speedometers for a reason, but traffic laws are kind of like the Pirate Code and punctuation rules it seems, more like guidelines. If you don't cause a wreck, or get caught, it's all good. California, the "no-harm-no-foul" state.
    The only honest answer to your question is "It depends".

No longer a member here
    Guilty as charged. When in the car, I dilligently stop, completely stop, at all stop signs. On the bikes, I do not. Especially at right turns, I almost always "roll through" if there is no traffic and I can see it. That's the key issue: I have to clearly see if something is coming or not. As far as the laws in our State are concerned, I don't even know if you have to touch down for a stop to be valid.

I always stop, put the left foot down, then the right, then pick up the left foot to select first gear and off I go.

I guess I'm just slow, I can't stop, balance, look at the traffic etc and decide if I can go safely in an instant, as others seem to be able to do.

Maybe the 862 milliseconds I would gain on each stop isn't enough to negate the time lost to an accident?

To each their own I guess, however I don't do the super fast stop in a four wheeled vehicle either, I like to have a good look at what's happening around me...........Rod.
    Work is the curse of the riding class

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by mckayprod View Post
    California, the "no-harm-no-foul" state.
    When I was visiting my daughter and son-in-law, the first thing my son-law told me was "Remember, down here all road signs are merely suggestions".
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Used to have property on Galveston Island...Rarely does a local in the inner city stop at a stop sign...always an adventure and a hair raiser...tourists beware!
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

No longer a member here
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    I Maybe the 862 milliseconds I would gain on each stop isn't enough to negate the time lost to an accident?

...........Rod.
    It is not about time. It is about moving your feet from the footpegs down and back up. When you have arthritis in your hips and your legs hurt, this movement becomes a painful chore.....

If you folks that are balancing your bikes with no foot down, long enough to look left, look right, look left again, I'll give you credit. This is tuff to do when really stopping and observing the situation at an intersection. Oh, yes I allways stop, sometimes getting honked at.
    John Simonds
    2008 R 1200 GSA
    1975 850 Norton Roadster
    If it ain"t broke... fix it till it is.