Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: How many stop at a stop sign............???

I can stop with my feet on the pegs, do it all the time. So I come to a stop sign and see a local LEO coming, I have plenty of time to pull out, come to a complete foot on pegs stop and pull out. He pulls me over and asks if I know why. I don't, he says I didn't stop. I said why would I not stop if I saw you coming. He says he didn't see me put my foot down, I tell him I don't need to. He let me go. I think when he saw a 50 year old, gray haired guy, agatt, clean record on a BMW, that helped my cause.
    So I get thinking, the cops have a tough job why not make it easier for them. How long does It take to touch the ground before proceeding? We have signs and stickers for the car drivers "look twice save a life". I figure I should too. So now I make foot down stops and keep everyone happy.

In Wisconsin, the statute does not specify that a foot touch - only that the vehicle (motorcycle) be completely motionless, as in wheels no longer turning (what we as LEO's looked for if it was necessary to 'split hairs').

While I can produce such a stop in perfect balance, too much attention is focused on that 'skill' and not on situational awareness.

I stop, put a foot down, become situationally aware, and then proceed. That extra second of safety over the course of a riding career might subtract several hours off my life, but I consider that worth it, as opposed to bragging rights for "never putting my feet down, if I can help it."

Not an impressive maneuver in my universe.
    Last edited by greenwald; 06-22-2013 at 01:46 PM.
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

Quote Originally Posted by ka5ysy View Post
    I do the "slow race" thing most every stop light. At stop sign intersections, I do a quick head check, and if no traffic approaching, I do the feet-on-pegs stop and go. The wheels actually stop, which is all the Louisiana statue requires.

Funny story: Our former Chief of Police was a long time motorman in the department before he moved up in rank. One afternoon he was riding to work on the Road King, and doing the feet up stops. Some woman, in a van behind him, pulled up to his side at a longish traffic light intersection and demanded to know why he was not stopping. He informed her several times that he did fully stop, and she then demanded to know who the chief was. He told her several times "that would be me". He asked her what the problem was, and she stated "My husband rides and when he stops he has to put his feet down, so you did NOT stop". Being a gentlemen, her told her "Maybe I am a better rider than your husband" and the light changed and he road away to work.
    That wouldn't be the one and only Chief Jeff LaDuff, would it?? Has to be...........
    John
    2004 BMW R1150R Black
    Contact me 4 (1&1) training, Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction

Quote Originally Posted by motorman587 View Post
    That wouldn't be the one and only Chief Jeff LaDuff, would it?? Has to be...........
    Indeed is would !
    Doug, 2011 R1200RT Polar Metallic
    MSF #127350 NAUI #36288

Have to admit it depends on the day and where I am. Probably a 70/30 split between full stop with my foot on the pegs and full stop with my foot down. I do come to a full stop because I am trainable and can transfer that training from one setting to another. When I was a teen I apparently did a rolling stop and received a failing grade from a LEO on a reportcard he called a ticket. At that time it ment all my driving/riding privilages were suspended for thirty days by law ? sixty by parents.

FWIW: I lived in South Dakota some time ago and was curious about what their laws where. A foot down does not appear to be a state requirement but is implied in their Motorcycle Handbook.

http://legis.state.sd.us/statutes/Di...0&Type=Statute

http://dps.sd.gov/licensing/driver_l...ook8-26-10.pdf
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

To all who roll through stop signs(in/on anything with wheels!) may you have a bad hair day-or worse! Rant over...
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

Pusser's Pyrate Society Zygmund's Avatar
    Around the metro area I put a foot down and observe the situation, too many nuts on the road.
    Outside the metro I do my best to keep the feet up at stops.
    '02 R1150RT

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    I don't know if it is because I worked insurance claims for 30+ years or because I once (in the late 70s) pulled out in front of a car I knew wasn't there because I didn't see it but I stop, put my foot down and look both ways again before I pull out even if I am "sure" there is nothing coming. I worked so many claims where the driver or rider pulled out because they were sure nothing was coming. Anyway, does a second or two really matter? I remember years ago when people complained about the time it took to put on a seat belt.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Depends on the location, situation, etc. Metro area, rush hour, lots of traffic, marginal visibility vs rural area, no traffic, good visibility. I will say that around here many of the stop signs could be replaced with yield signs.
    2000 R1100RS
    1972 R75/5

Stop sign?!?! Pffft! You all aren't going to allow an inanimate hunk of painted sheet metal rules your lives. ... .are you?

I always practice my "trials" skills at stop signs just for the helluvit. When I was in high school a buddy of mine used to make cigarette money betting folks at the local shopping enter that he couldn't sit on his bicycle for five minutes without putting his feet down. Most people got tired of waiting for him after only two or three minutes and paid him his quarter. He could do the same thing on his 175 Yamaha. If I have a little downhill incline I can creep it for quite while at a stop light but I'm sure it isn't "several" minutes.

I haven't tried it in a parking lot for a long time, but there is a technique where by you can "balance" the bike using the torque of the engine, slipping the clutch, and shifting body weight. Personally, I can't do it, and I have better uses for clutch lining.
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Always

Well mostly

Brings up another question if its multiple bikes riding do you all take your turn at the stop sign
    Same goes for light signals on freeway on ramps!

Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    I don't know if it is because I worked insurance claims for 30+ years or because I once (in the late 70s) pulled out in front of a car I knew wasn't there because I didn't see it but I stop, put my foot down and look both ways again before I pull out even if I am "sure" there is nothing coming. I worked so many claims where the driver or rider pulled out because they were sure nothing was coming. Anyway, does a second or two really matter? I remember years ago when people complained about the time it took to put on a seat belt.
    I like this. Very good point. Thanks for sharing.......
    John
    2004 BMW R1150R Black
    Contact me 4 (1&1) training, Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction

Heads up! Don't do it at the railroad crossing stop signs in Guttenberg, Iowa. It's a $300+ fine for coming to a complete stop without your feet down. Don't ask me how I know.
    When you come to a fork in the road, take it.

Quote Originally Posted by t6pilot View Post
    Brings up another question if its multiple bikes riding do you all take your turn at the stop sign
    Same goes for light signals on freeway on ramps!
    We often pull up two by two at a stop sign and at signals. Take off and return to single file. Once again common sense dictates when/where this works.

Have done it in front of LEO's enough times if it was an issue figured I would have had a chat by now.

We have also been behind a few LEO Motors ahead of us...so we were just following the example

And rolling thru a STOP doesn't happen unless I am at the intersection( or one like it) in North by Northwest Cary Grant got strafed at. Even then it's still a stop-n-go.
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

In rural areas I almost never put a foot down unless the road junction is at such an oblique angle that it necessitates an extreme neck turn. Balancing a stopped bike for a couple seconds is no big deal and that's my norm in such places. Exceptions are places where vegetation obsures part of the view.
    In town with lots of visual clutter is a different story. Many more places "require" some extra time to assess what's around.

However, my "time to assess" seems to be 3-4X faster than an average driver based on what I observe in traffic. That probably comes from all the time I've spent on tracks at speed- my brain just became wired to make assessmets quickly because everything happens so much faster at track speeds. Track time also teaches "selective vision"- seeing what matters in your field of vision and not wasting brain processing power on the rest / irrelevant stuff...

Given that the consequences of being T-boned by a cage are potentially lethal, it is obviously unwise to take risks- kiddings one's self about a clear road could be a 1 time mistake...