Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How many stop at a stop sign............???

How many stop at a stop sign............???

In Florida, on a motorcycle, a person does not have to put your there feet down to be considered a stop, so with that said how many of you do this, I do this sometimes, look both ways, and just roll through a stop sign??? I try to force myself to stop and place both feet down, I feel like I am cutting myself short if I just to a quick peek.
    John
    2004 BMW R1150R Black
    Contact me 4 (1&1) training, Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction

Wheelie for safety through all stop signs.
    Nate R
    2013 R1200RT 90th - "Tyr" - Purchased 12/13/2013 brand new!
    2007 R1200S - "Sexy Beast"
    2006 R1200RT "Wōden" - 84k - Retired and sold

Quote Originally Posted by natrab View Post
    Wheelie for safety through all stop signs.
    Wish I could do that, but it is frown upon here in the great State of Florida. I guess a safety topic is not what the BMW MOA is about??? LOL And it's a $1000 wheelie fine. just saying.
    John
    2004 BMW R1150R Black
    Contact me 4 (1&1) training, Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction

"STOP" is a pretty unambiguous word. I might not need to put a foot down if sight lines are clear as I approach the sign, but the rotational speed of my wheels reaches zero before I proceed. Most of the time I can balance long enough to check traffic in both directions without touching down. I'm not aware of any laws requiring touchdown; that might be awkward for car drivers.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

Left Coast Rider
    I was going to say I was with Natrab but add the fact that it should be a one-handed or stand-up wheelie. To do otherwise only confirms one's shortcomings.

But I always stop. Not sure what I'd do if I didn't HAVE to stop. Seems like a recipe for unintended forceful deceleration.

This is something I do all the time.

I "TRY" to see if I can come to a complete stop without putting my feet down.

Getting very good at it! Even for just a second.
    Ambassador BMW MOA Ontario Canada
    President Niagara BMW Riders #298
    Knights of the Roundel #333
    1977 R100RS, (Retired) 1993 R100GS (just getting started)

Spin Tires On Pavement.

Some states do require that at least one foot be planted, to be a "lawful" stop.
    South Dakota required that both feet be planted (at least in Sturgis); I don't know if that's still the case.

Where I live, the city does not have the $$$ to support enforcement of the many 4-way stops around here; as a result, there are an awful lot of punks rolling right on through. And yes we've had the related accidents, including damage to cars parked near those corners.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls1150 View Post
    Spin Tires On Pavement.

Some states do require that at least one foot be planted, to be a "lawful" stop.
    South Dakota required that both feet be planted (at least in Sturgis); I don't know if that's still the case.

Where I live, the city does not have the $$$ to support enforcement of the many 4-way stops around here; as a result, there are an awful lot of punks rolling right on through. And yes we've had the related accidents, including damage to cars parked near those corners.
    I suspect (but am not certain) that the "one or 2 feet down to be a stop" , or the similar "must be stopped for 2 seconds" are all just local interpretations of "come to a complete stop". Officers I've spoken with have said that there's nothing in the code that says certain behaviors must occur, just that the wheels need to stop turning. Sturgis, specially during rally time, seems to create their own laws and interpretations of existing ones just for collecting that lovely Rally Revenue.
    My wheels stop, but more times than not my feet never leave the pegs.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

On the BMW I will roll through some stops. Others I may just let the wheels stop and then go while still balanced.. That said... IF I have a very satisfactory look at the situation. If I am not satisfied with my look I will stop and do it again. At some stop signs at the bottom of a exit ramp where the lane is angled into the lane you are going to, I will angle more perpendicular to get a good look. My flexibility is on the decline and sometimes rotating all the way to one side with the head, looking through the eye of my glasses (where the prescription just doesn't fit as well) and the edge of the helmet isn't satisfactory. All that is on the BMW K12RS

On the Honda RC51, It is not a joy for me to ride in lots of traffic areas. The more forward position means as I roll my head from side to side, like you would scan if standing means I see down the road and up on the sides. So I use more care there. So on the RC, I almost always come to a stop I can satisfy myself about the traffic situation.

If I am riding with others and have some behind me. I generally will come to a stop and then go. I avoid keying off the person in front of me that it was clear for them so it must be for me, and I don't wish the same thought to occur for the person behind me.

As for a skill that I work on and then lose if not used is the being able to do a stop and go with feet up. If I am having to think about it, then I am distracted from really seeing what is happening. If I am 'in the zone" so to speak, it s a nice skill to use.

NCS
    03 K 1200RS (Black is Best)
    03 Honda RC51
    74 Honda CB750 K4

BMW Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by lkraus View Post
    "STOP" is a pretty unambiguous word. I might not need to put a foot down if sight lines are clear as I approach the sign, but the rotational speed of my wheels reaches zero before I proceed. Most of the time I can balance long enough to check traffic in both directions without touching down. I'm not aware of any laws requiring touchdown; that might be awkward for car drivers.
    +1

Except when in the Lambo

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Cainey View Post
    This is something I do all the time.

I "TRY" to see if I can come to a complete stop without putting my feet down.

Getting very good at it! Even for just a second.
    That's what I do as well. It also depends on where I'm riding and what the traffic is like.
    -----------------------------------------
    Brad D. - Member #105766
    '77 R100RS - Black Beauty (big pipe, baby!)
    '94 R1100RS - Sylvia

I make a game out of it and come as close to a full stop as I can without putting my feet down. After years of practice, about 50% of the time it is a genuine full stop.
    Dave

'06 Triumph Scrambler (Trans-Labrador veteran)

I do the "slow race" thing most every stop light. At stop sign intersections, I do a quick head check, and if no traffic approaching, I do the feet-on-pegs stop and go. The wheels actually stop, which is all the Louisiana statue requires.

Funny story: Our former Chief of Police was a long time motorman in the department before he moved up in rank. One afternoon he was riding to work on the Road King, and doing the feet up stops. Some woman, in a van behind him, pulled up to his side at a longish traffic light intersection and demanded to know why he was not stopping. He informed her several times that he did fully stop, and she then demanded to know who the chief was. He told her several times "that would be me". He asked her what the problem was, and she stated "My husband rides and when he stops he has to put his feet down, so you did NOT stop". Being a gentlemen, her told her "Maybe I am a better rider than your husband" and the light changed and he road away to work.
    Last edited by ka5ysy; 06-22-2013 at 12:32 AM.
    Doug, 2011 R1200RT Polar Metallic
    MSF #127350 NAUI #36288

3rd gear stop:)

I got caught!!! Tehachapi, Ca.. A rural exit off Hwy58, I came off a freeway ramp with STOP sign and had clear view of two lane I was turning on to. I busted it in "third gear". Well, this is slightly off topic, BUT I had white unmarked PolarBear we call'em(CHP) following me, right behind me and I did not see it. MAN, was I guilty, guilty as one can get! LADY CHP stopped me and I never forget her words as she walked up. WHAT THE H*** was that??? I got helmet off and plea'd my case, I'm GUILTY as all get out Mam, no excuses I say. What else to do? She took my license, did all the in patrol car computer searches for any dirt and came back to me, chewed me out and "LET ME GO" free, no ticket. Some CHP have heart. No, I don't always stop, but have this reminder with me always. This was about one year ago....Randy

I stop forward momentum...no feet down unless I need to yield ROW to someone. Sometimes terrain and weather change that style.

Many years ago a local sheriff was demanding that all bicyclists on a MS 150 charity ride plant both feet at HIS stop sign in a tiny 3 building town on the route. That year it numbered about 12K folks. He was writing tickets and hollering as we trackstopped ...counted three and rolled on. I chuckle still when I motor thru with same technique.
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait