Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Finding Top Dead Center--any tricks?

Gotcha, Marchyman.
    Thanks to all. I think I got it.

John

+1 , for straw, chopstick, etc. rotate rear wheel, watch intake close, insert straw, when it stops coming out you are there.
    don't know where I'm going, but I'm making good time. 1990 R 100 GSPD, 2005 R 1200 GS

Use the BMW tool!

As I recall from my 07 R1200RT there is a "special tool" that fits through a round hole in the housing around the flywheel and when you are at TDC it engages another round hole in the flywheel and sinks home. Can't miss, no guess work involved besides finding the flywheel hole. Can be a little tricky but once you get it you know it is correct. You can get TDC on each cylinder using this tool.

I just looked on the parts fiche and I can't find any special tools, but maybe I am looking in the wrong place. I bought mine from the dealer maybe 3 years ago. It was not very expensive either, like $20. Considering all it is was a bent rod with a little plastic coated handle that was about right. If you can figure out the diameter of the flywheel hole it would be an easy thing to make. I'd guess its about 3/8 of an inch.

I suggest you call or visit the dealer and ask about it. I'm sure the mechanics will know what it is.

One other thing - if you do use this tool put a long obvious ribbon or rope on it so you don't forget to remove it before starting the engine as it locks the flywheel.

PS: Found it on the A&S website, BMW OEM - 112 650 - TDC Locating Mandrel (R11S, RT, ) $35! Maybe you want to make one...

Or you could enjoy dinner at a chinese restaurant and take home a chop stick. Less $, you decide. If you forget to remove the chop stick, the valve cover will not go back on/amazing it's fool proof and free.
    Marty Hill
    12 GS black/Boxer Cup Replika

ride till you can't

Check www.summitracing.com search top dead center tool.
    John Simonds
    2008 R 1200 GSA
    1975 850 Norton Roadster
    If it ain"t broke... fix it till it is.

Machinist i know used the threaded part from an old spark plug and machined a holder so that a 1 in. Travel indicator would go through it.Gets tdc every time.Ed
    Ed Baker

Quote Originally Posted by martyhill View Post
    Or you could enjoy dinner at a chinese restaurant and take home a chop stick. Less $, you decide. If you forget to remove the chop stick, the valve cover will not go back on/amazing it's fool proof and free.
    Chopsticks won't work on German bikes.

I thought it was common knowledge. You must use a straw
    Anthony S.
    2012 R1200GS

Quote Originally Posted by ajaxthegreater View Post
    As I recall from my 07 R1200RT there is a "special tool" that fits through a round hole in the housing around the flywheel and when you are at TDC it engages another round hole in the flywheel and sinks home. Can't miss, no guess work involved besides finding the flywheel hole. Can be a little tricky but once you get it you know it is correct. You can get TDC on each cylinder using this tool.

I just looked on the parts fiche and I can't find any special tools, but maybe I am looking in the wrong place. I bought mine from the dealer maybe 3 years ago. It was not very expensive either, like $20. Considering all it is was a bent rod with a little plastic coated handle that was about right. If you can figure out the diameter of the flywheel hole it would be an easy thing to make. I'd guess its about 3/8 of an inch.

I suggest you call or visit the dealer and ask about it. I'm sure the mechanics will know what it is.

One other thing - if you do use this tool put a long obvious ribbon or rope on it so you don't forget to remove it before starting the engine as it locks the flywheel.

PS: Found it on the A&S website, BMW OEM - 112 650 - TDC Locating Mandrel (R11S, RT, ) $35! Maybe you want to make one...

That tool is for the 1100/1150's...the hole is on the left side under the throttle body...I only use it when a need to lock the flywheel arises....and YES. I put a piece of pink surveyors tape on it to not forget

Have you used this on your Hexhead? For valve adjustments, it's not critical to be dead- on....unless you are a dead -on guy/gal. The arrows have been my guide for adjusting valves.

YRMV
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

I just followed the tutorial in the tech library.
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    That tool is for the 1100/1150's...the hole is on the left side under the throttle body...I only use it when a need to lock the flywheel arises....and YES. I put a piece of pink surveyors tape on it to not forget

Have you used this on your Hexhead? For valve adjustments, it's not critical to be dead- on....unless you are a dead -on guy/gal. The arrows have been my guide for adjusting valves.

YRMV
    Maybe so for the earlier models but it also worked on my 07 R1200RT, a Hexhead. It was also shown in the CD shop manual under the valve clearance adjustment procedure, that's how I found out about it. Then there was no guessing about whether you are spot on or not.
    Bill in Highlands Ranch, CO
    2012 R1200RT and some other older junk