Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What's up with MOA members nowdays?? Ripped off again...

Moderator here -

I'd rather not start a "wall of shame" or posting information about who ripped off who, etc. There are always two (three?) sides to a story and most times the other parties are not available to offer their side.

There has been discussion of adding a feature to the Flea Market for a rating system of buyers/sellers. I have made a note of that and will pass it on to the office for consideration. But for now, that's as far as this should go.

Remember, the Flea Market is completely separate to the Forum. There is also a disclaimer when you drop into the Flea Market. As always, buyer beware! Sorry that "stuff" happens, but it does. What happens in the Flea Market should stay in the Flea Market! Well, something like that.

Thanks...
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Beware of the ratings idea as with eBay their are those that lie. Me & a few other people have had to eat dirt a few times to keep our rating up. I had this same scenario with car accidents & 3 sons driving. The other party is at fault & lies.
    Lie e.g. :This week one son(now mid 30's) had a situ wherein the lady that backed into his new SUV door said he backed into her when in fact he was parked in a space & this long after the accident-his car is now repaired & weeks later. Insurer told him & he bargained for more money based on me having told him to beware of the Carfax report when he sells/trades as it would cost him twice for even a supposedly "free" repair! Allstate gave him another $1,600 in payoff to cover reduced value on a car that's fully repaired via a new door. FWIW, the same company that put the screws to his twin brother the yr before.
    See, even with somewhat factual revelation , such as Carfax "sort of" provides, there are issues.
    Ratings are a real touchy subject-I vote no to trying them. I also vote no to plastering names all over club forum of private individuals cause your fluffed.
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

I was interested to see "Dale Lehnert from minnapolis area" mentioned in this thread. I bought two items from him and neither was right. I attributed the mistake to BMW having identical part numbers for two different items, but after reading this thread, maybe I was wrong on that. I think one item was my mistake the second....
    Walter

All government, of course, is against liberty.
    H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    Beware of the ratings idea as with eBay their are those that lie. Me & a few other people have had to eat dirt a few times to keep our rating up.
    Been there, Here is just one example of the Ebay ratings. We are downsizing to our last home & my wife has been selling her 45 rpm records on Ebay. At one time she had over 70,000 records that she has collected since the 50s. One purchaser from Europe complained & gave her a bad feedback because the 45 record had a large hole in the middle of it.
    Dave
    2004 Black LT
    2000 Canyon Red LT
    The Only Vehicles I Own

Quote Originally Posted by saddleman View Post
    Been there, Here is just one example of the Ebay ratings. We are downsizing to our last home & my wife has been selling her 45 rpm records on Ebay. At one time she had over 70,000 records that she has collected since the 50s. One purchaser from Europe complained & gave her a bad feedback because the 45 record had a large hole in the middle of it.
    It probably matched the one in his head.
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

BMW Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by saddleman View Post
    It is amazing. People report on the internet without ever having a clue as to whether they themselves have a clue. If you're going to become a reporter and say negative things about others you have a responsibility to verify your own story is accurate to begin with. But I guess that assumes the reporter in question has common sense and is intelligent enough to assess their own story. Good luck with that.

I was at a store where a gentleman gave us 2 stars out of 5. He admitted never having been to our store but he did see our reviews. He then stated that our reviews were overwhelmingly positive and then through some rather odd view points about those reviews determined we were submitting phony reviews ourselves. There is no doubt reviews should add value to a decision but given the fact that any given business will have both positive and negative how do you determine which is correct? Restaurants in particular... I feel bad for those folks. A diner goes there one time and doesn't like the food. Then through the miracle of becoming an internet reporter they tell the world how the food sucked and they should never ever go to that restaurant. Last time I looked you can rarely determine the quality of a business, food or otherwise, through a single visit. Single visit opinions may be doing nothing more than lighting up a few electrons on a computer screen.

If you add together enough of those single visits/opinions it becomes the reality that the food does likely suck. Best to read several, then decide. My BIL has more places he wont go out to eat than a cat has lives & some he does do regular I don't like.he eats so fast I honestly wonder how he knows what he had anyway! Nice guy, bad eater. Go figure on food? Just look at all the billions raked in by marginal fast food in this country! Bob Evans brought me a cold baked potato last night and had darkened from lying in wait to be trashed by me. Was also hard on outside & for 3/8" on the inside. I "traded it" for hot fries. Yes, I'll go back there again. Then you have the fact that many cannot or do not cook themselves & you wonder about the messengers/reviewers credibility?
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

Ebay and feedback

I tried to buy a truck using Ebay about 3 years ago...Called and talked to the seller who lived in Houston and I was in New Braunfels, Texas; it was about 250 miles to his location. It had a good carfax, no problems showing. Anyway, I liked the truck, the price was right and he sounded like a nice guy, so I sent him a deposit which he told me was non refundable unless the truck was not what he said it was in his information.

I took a retired mechanic friend and my brother along, filled up with some high priced gas and drove on down. The truck looked nice and drove well. My mechanic friend pointed out though that it had been in an accident and showed me where they repaired it. The seller said he didn't know anything about it and it didn't happen while he owned it. You could see that the pin stripping had not been put on the side of the bed which had been repaired. After I talked to the guy a while it seems he was not telling the whole truth but I don't know that for sure.

I wasn't exactly happy with it at that point but it seemed ok and the mechanic friend said it was ok also. I told the seller OK lets do it. He then said he would like me to come into his home office and give him a good feedback. I told him I could give the feedback when I got home. He told me that if I didn't want to give him a good feedback then he wouldn't sell me the truck and I would also lose my deposit. Well, I wanted to kill the guy right then but my brother told me it wasn't worth it, just to either buy it or lets go home. My brother is older than me and he was already tired and ready to go home. If it had not been a 500 mile round trip and me dragging on a friend and my brother, I would have turned and walked or got put in jail. But, I gave him what he wanted, paid for it and left. The truck was a good one and I was happy with that part. I wasn't happy with the fact I had to give this guy a good feedback and there is no way to change it after you do it. I figure this guy sells autos on the side and does this all the time to keep his feedback score high.

So, this feedback means nothing sometimes. In retrospect, I should have bought something closer to home and not given any deposit until I looked at the truck. My fault; I'm a dummy sometimes; I could have walked at any time and protested later to get my deposit back but that could have taken a long time.

DW
    1978 R100rs MOA#22600 125cc Kymco
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.

The whole feedback thing must be taken with the proverbial "grain of salt". I've read many reviews of truly crappy lodgings on TripAdvisor that raved on about what a great place it was for them.
    Perhaps you could call the eBay people(there usually in India these days...) and complain about the truck guy

forum dealings

I must be very lucky. I saw a mirror on the forum. Contacted the seller who had no paypal. Sent a check for the price plus shipping. Got the mirror and a check for the amount of postage that was over paid.

I once posted that I needed a windscreen for my R1100RT. Some slick crook named Bud Meade sent me one for free. I tell you those BMW guys are a bunch of crooks.
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449
    1996 R1100RT main bike & 1985 K100RS...too fast to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by 22600 View Post
    I told the seller OK lets do it. He then said he would like me to come into his home office and give him a good feedback. I told him I could give the feedback when I got home. He told me that if I didn't want to give him a good feedback then he wouldn't sell me the truck and I would also lose my deposit. Well, I wanted to kill the guy right then but my brother told me it wasn't worth it, just to either buy it or lets go home. My brother is older than me and he was already tired and ready to go home. If it had not been a 500 mile round trip and me dragging on a friend and my brother, I would have turned and walked or got put in jail. But, I gave him what he wanted, paid for it and left. DW
    Another option would have been for you to say to him, "Really? Wait in your home office while I call the the Sheriff and meet him in your driveway. Me and him will be right with you to talk about arresting you and charging you with blackmail and theft." Of course, the Sheriff will probably tell you it's a civil matter and he can't do anything, but the seller might be scared enough to cave in.

BMW Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by ClassicVW View Post
    Another option would have been for you to say to him, "Really? Wait in your home office while I call the the Sheriff and meet him in your driveway. Me and him will be right with you to talk about arresting you and charging you with blackmail and theft." Of course, the Sheriff will probably tell you it's a civil matter and he can't do anything, but the seller might be scared enough to cave in.
    That's what I like to see... Jersey style in your face when appropriate!

That was a "tough one" on the truck deal. Hard to walk away & hard to keep a civil tone. I guess "coercion" is the perhaps a better word than blackmail but still not a great place to be on a deal. I wouldn't do that to my sheriff & he wouldn't want pulled in on it either. Certainly it would have been difficult to keep my cool with that character! I have had the experience several times of the "moving sale price" where we agree on a price & then it gets re-opened to negotiation(w/o a reason) when they are picking up the vehicle. I've gotten to the point where I bring up the "price is the price" thing once supposedly settled.

Quote Originally Posted by billy walker View Post
    That's what I like to see... Jersey style in your face when appropriate!
    Nah, Jersey Style would be to grab him by the shirt and have a face-to-face as to why it's not going to go down the way he was threatening the buyer it would... But I was trying to tone it down from my first instinct, the Jersey Style response.

BMW Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    .......... I have had the experience several times of the "moving sale price" where we agree on a price & then it gets re-opened to negotiation(w/o a reason) when they are picking up the vehicle. .............
    Don't feel bad. Same thing happens in a dealership sometimes. Called price remorse. Or, my wife won't let me... blah, blah, blah