Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 47

Thread: What's up with MOA members nowdays?? Ripped off again...

  1. #16
    MearthA rdalland's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    The Empire State
    Posts
    1,050
    Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    and I use PayPal all the time, in spite of it being the money suction device that it is! I cuss the fees & love the protection it gives
    FYI - If you have Paypal linked to a bank account, you can do direct payments with no fees to either party.

    Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    FWIW, Money Orders are not the foolproof form of payment that they had formerly been. Paypal is the way to stay safer. If your "trusting", do it as a gift & save the other end of the deal some money.
    Postal Money Orders can be verified by your bank at time of deposit, western union can not.
    ride what you've got; enjoy the road you're on!

    Reid - Stone Ridge, NY - MOA #69187 - Turbo Fluffy Motoclub - IBA #50182

  2. #17
    Registered User k12lts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    111
    I've sold things on several different forums and standard protocol is the item ships after payment is received. Either Paypal or USPS money order.

    I never ship until I receive money.

  3. #18
    Registered User 36654's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    1,724
    Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    FWIW, Money Orders are not the foolproof form of payment that they had formerly been. Paypal is the way to stay safer. If your "trusting", do it as a gift & save the other end of the deal some money.
    Change those paypal passwords frequently........After my last Paypal security issue, the Paypal customer rep (unofficially) suggested that account passwords should be changed every month.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

  4. #19
    Out There Somewhere bmwrider88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Harrisburg, PA
    Posts
    940

    Feedback/Ratings System?

    Feedback systems in buy/sell forums DO help, IMO. Look at eBay, with their feedback/ratings system. Folks can give negative feedback, receivers of such can respond, and all posts related to feedback can be viewed by others. I've seen feedback systems in place on other buy/sell forums as well- Audiogon, for example, comes to mind.

    I admit I don't use the Flea Market enough to know who sells there, or who the buyers are. It might not be completely practical for use in a place where maybe a seller or buyer has a only a one time transaction... BUT such systems, when they ARE in place, DO work. Feedback systems protect everyone involved without a doubt.

    IS this a useful and practical concept for us?
    Mods? Anyone?
    Be The Change You Want To See In The World

  5. #20
    Administrator 20774's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    13,175
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwrider88 View Post
    IS this a useful and practical concept for us?
    Mods? Anyone?
    A number of features for the Flea Market are being worked. I don't believe this is one of them. The Flea Market is a utility that has been added on to the side of the Flea Market. It has been written by a separate company. I can add this feature to the list to see what it might take to include with the Flea Market.

    Bottom line, though, is that it is caveat emptor and there's a warning going in for the user. Persumably, the people who use the FM are good BMW folks. I guess there can be exceptions to everyone.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

  6. #21
    "Running Out The Clock" grafikfeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    5,524

    Vendor Section.

    That would be good.
    "Stupidity, if left untreated, is self-correcting."

  7. #22
    rsbeemer 22600's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    New Braunfels,Texas/Taichung, Taiwan
    Posts
    338

    Feedback systems do help but are not foolproof...

    Quote Originally Posted by bmwrider88 View Post
    Feedback systems in buy/sell forums DO help, IMO. Look at eBay, with their feedback/ratings system. Folks can give negative feedback, receivers of such can respond, and all posts related to feedback can be viewed by others. I've seen feedback systems in place on other buy/sell forums as well- Audiogon, for example, comes to mind.

    I admit I don't use the Flea Market enough to know who sells there, or who the buyers are. It might not be completely practical for use in a place where maybe a seller or buyer has a only a one time transaction... BUT such systems, when they ARE in place, DO work. Feedback systems protect everyone involved without a doubt.

    IS this a useful and practical concept for us?
    Mods? Anyone?
    I once bought or should I say paid for a knife on Ebay made by the late "Jimmy Lile." This was about 6 years ago. The seller had excellent feedback and score. He said in the listing that he accepted cash in person or money order by mail. I had never sent a money order on ebay before but thought, "well he has an excellent feedback score, so it should be ok." I sent him the money order made out for $650. thinking that Ebay was safe and that I would receive my knife.

    Well I never got that knife. After a month trading emails with this jerk and talking with Ebay reps, I filed complaint with Ebay, which went no where. Filed complaint with my local police which went no where. Finally found out that the Ebay account holder was actually dead and his sorry ass, no account brother was using the dead brothers computer, email and account running his scam on who knows how many people, until he disappeared. Yes, Ebay finally cancelled his account and it taught me a lesson; I only use paypal now.
    1978 R100rs MOA#22600 125cc Kymco
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.

  8. #23
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eastern KY
    Posts
    3,247
    Quote Originally Posted by rdalland View Post
    FYI - If you have Paypal linked to a bank account, you can do direct payments with no fees to either party.



    Postal Money Orders can be verified by your bank at time of deposit, western union can not.
    My USPS money order point was made based on having been told by a person in enforcement that the "some" boogermen possess the machine to print them,thus they have the potential to be fraudulent.
    My "suction device comment" was based on my personal bank linked PayPal account having been charged fees that are charged on certain transactions done via PayPal. I think I covered this "no fees type payment" in suggesting you can do a "gift" to another person. I am thinking that when merchandise isn't the basis for payment then the guarantees afforded under PayPal are not in effect? An answer to that question is required prior to payment! Not worth trying to say here all of what a visit to PayPal would cover in detail for interested parties? I was trying to make suggestions for those that might not generally be aware of a way to be further protected in today's bigger world.
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

  9. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eastern KY
    Posts
    3,247
    Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    Change those paypal passwords frequently........After my last Paypal security issue, the Paypal customer rep (unofficially) suggested that account passwords should be changed every month.
    Several places I use online cancel the password every so often automatically. I guess I need to cut them some slack & stop cussing the need to add to the mountain of passwords needed to stay on top of cyber stuff?
    FWIW, I've had to change my eBay password several times over the years as it got "compromised". I have also observed that just using eBay creates somewhat of a "trail" of junk email. Must be one heck of a market to somebody for viagra type pills? One time was simply my fault, at a time prior to owning & carrying a lap top with us when traveling & after using a public library computer in FL I failed to sign out of my account. Honestly, I think I made eye contact with the culprit from across the room when/where it happened. A few years working amongst criminals gives one a certain insight into the "know one when you see one" area.
    Rainy day in KY...
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

  10. #25
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eastern KY
    Posts
    3,247
    Quote Originally Posted by 22600 View Post
    I once bought or should I say paid for a knife on Ebay made by the late "Jimmy Lile." This was about 6 years ago. The seller had excellent feedback and score. He said in the listing that he accepted cash in person or money order by mail. I had never sent a money order on ebay before but thought, "well he has an excellent feedback score, so it should be ok." I sent him the money order made out for $650. thinking that Ebay was safe and that I would receive my knife.

    Well I never got that knife. After a month trading emails with this jerk and talking with Ebay reps, I filed complaint with Ebay, which went no where. Filed complaint with my local police which went no where. Finally found out that the Ebay account holder was actually dead and his sorry ass, no account brother was using the dead brothers computer, email and account running his scam on who knows how many people, until he disappeared. Yes, Ebay finally cancelled his account and it taught me a lesson; I only use paypal now.
    I have over 600/100% positives feedbacks on eBay & have had a few truly negative experiences there, but then again where in all of the world can you hunt for vintage MC parts like there? One such deal was in KY & after much time & effort on my part(included one failed & one successful LEO contact) I was able to directly help put the guy in jail through the Louisville,KY PD. More recently I was selling my late model car on eBay & after a zero feedback bidder made several bids,some as high bidder(and having visited that low feedback bidder department before-yuk!) I messaged the person and advised that they could call my # in the ad or bid would be canceled. After cancelling the bid I was stalked by this person via eBay messages & had to get them blocked over threatening stuff.
    It is common on eBay to see a vintage MC for sale privately that "sells" then gets "sold again" several times before disappearing from the listings. In several cases of being sent the wrong merchandise,etc. I have filed claims and eBay has refunded my money each time except one where I allowed the seller to stretch me out past the date allowing a claim. IMO eBay had to start paying for others poor dealings or lose too many angry customers. All considered it's a place to use due caution but full of stuff not found elsewhere, make your choices.
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

  11. #26
    "Running Out The Clock" grafikfeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    5,524

    Paypal

    PAYPAL = Cheap Insurance.

    If you are going to deal w/ anyone further than you want to drive/ride to... PAYPAL.
    If they don't have/want PayPal? Take a Personal check and hold it 'til it clears. Really quite simple.

    If anything online gives you pause as to validity... MOVE ON. A fool and his money... yadda yadda yadda...

    Paypal is "free" if you send money as a "Gift". But if you do this often they will catch on to ya.
    Do it if it's big bucks or your profit margin is close. Or just add 5% to what you wanted if sold locally...

    Paypal is the way to go... Been w/ them and eBay (750+ feedback @ 100% rating) since 1999. 0 Losses.
    "Stupidity, if left untreated, is self-correcting."

  12. #27
    Ponch ponch1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Fountain Hills AZ
    Posts
    894
    Quote Originally Posted by grafikfeat View Post
    PAYPAL = Cheap Insurance.

    If you are going to deal w/ anyone further than you want to drive/ride to... PAYPAL.
    If they don't have/want PayPal? Take a Personal check and hold it 'til it clears. Really quite simple.

    If anything online gives you pause as to validity... MOVE ON. A fool and his money... yadda yadda yadda...

    Paypal is "free" if you send money as a "Gift". But if you do this often they will catch on to ya.
    Do it if it's big bucks or your profit margin is close. Or just add 5% to what you wanted if sold locally...

    Paypal is the way to go... Been w/ them and eBay (750+ feedback @ 100% rating) since 1999. 0 Losses.
    Paypal isn't foolproof, but it's better. I say have a wall of shame. If someone who does that is exposed to the light of day, they either won't be willing to do it again here or they will be shamed into owning up and taking care of it. If they violate more than once, revoke their membership.
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

  13. #28
    "Running Out The Clock" grafikfeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    5,524
    Quote Originally Posted by ponch1 View Post
    Paypal isn't foolproof, but it's better.
    Like I said... A Fool and his money... 14 years Zee-Row loss. I'd say it's fool proof.

    And yes... I agree. You get burned by a member of the BMWMOA through it's forum...
    Post all the pertinent info. Basically: name, city and member number. And transaction details.
    Burned means money changed hands and no product/item/clearly not what was advertised.
    NOT buyers remorse or your old lady found out.

    Blatantly ripped off.
    "Stupidity, if left untreated, is self-correcting."

  14. #29
    Ponch ponch1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Fountain Hills AZ
    Posts
    894
    Quote Originally Posted by grafikfeat View Post
    Like I said... A Fool and his money... 14 years Zee-Row loss. I'd say it's fool proof.

    And yes... I agree. You get burned by a member of the BMWMOA through it's forum...
    Post all the pertinent info. Basically: name, city and member number. And transaction details.
    Burned means money changed hands and no product/item/clearly not what was advertised.
    NOT buyers remorse or your old lady found out.

    Blatantly ripped off.
    +1
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

  15. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Posts
    690
    I'm all for posting the details when someone gets ripped off.
    Earlier this year I bought a pair of gloves from someone well-known on the BMW Sport Touring forum. He stated he only briefly wore them to try them out and write a review of them and they were in fine condition. I received a worn out, color faded, curled-up POS pair of gloves. I have gloves I've worn for 3 full riding seasons that were in much better shape. He refused to accept any return or responsibility or even continue a discussion with me, said "Tough" and I posted the details in a forum posting. It was immediately removed by moderators and I was told- sorry, you can't post things like that. Never been back there since and I'll never go back.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •