Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Vetter fairing lower mount bracket?

Cool Vetter fairing lower mount bracket?

My fellow airheads, will a Vetter lower mount bracket (mounts to the down tubes) off of a /7 frame..fit on a /6 frame for a Don Vesco Rabid Transit fairing?
    Glenn
    ...driving to work on my airhead
    '74 R60/6, '75 R60/6(boxes)

I worked in the R&D department at Vetter from '76-'81.

A Luftmeister mount will work, so a Vetter should. They're essentially the same. I'd suggest that if you need to "tweek" anything to fit that it be the hardware, not the fairing. What you might find is that the fairing fits on the mounting hardware okay, but that the mounting tabs that connect to the frame are off a bit.

Disclaimer: We had a lot of QC issues with BMW hardware, it was a constant battle to maintain dimensional tolerance during the period prior to robotic tube forming and welding operations. e.g. my /5 frame mount would not fit on the /6 so your mileage may vary.
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Thank you Lew, there's no way I'll be cutting into a Don Vescon Fairing, sacrilegious act will not be done! This info is exactly what I needed to continue on my project, if I need to tweak the bottom mount a little that's fine. I just wanted to make sure before I dropped any more $$$$$$. R&D at Vetter mmmm did u know any one at Bell Ray racing,during that time?
    Thank you sir
    Glenn
    Glenn

The /7 frame is different than the /6.

The /7 frame was stiffened and the /6 vetter mount will not work on a /7 frame due to a cross gusset.
    The /7 mount is tough to come by.
    The/6 mount seem to come up occasionally.

Jim
    I like good stuff. No Chains here!
    1960 R50 -"Hanz"
    1977 R75/7 -"Gertie"
    2004 R1100s -"RFAR1"

Ok, perfect, thank you Jim, that's another piece to the puzzle I need to consider.....and some of my friends think my obsession with Airheads is lame......I guess it's time to get new friends....I love figuring this stuff out it keeps my mind at ease.....it's therapy for me.
    How's the weather up in Ketchikan?.. Are you able to ride a lot? I remember working up in Anchorage and it didn't seem to be as cold as Minnesota... Just had to watch out for moose and bears
    Glenn

Glen, I did not know any of the BelRay folks, but I did have an opportunity to meet Reg Pridmore, Pierre DesRoches, and Pop Yoshimura when we were sponsoring the Vetter Kawasaki AMA bike in '78. It got pretty grim around the shop after Craig sold the company in late '78 ... we didn't get to play a whole lot after that.

Lew Morris

Aaa ok, I can imagine. I was just wondering if you knew a guy named Charlie Hennekam, he is my brother and used to live in the SoCal area racing scene and worked for Bel-Ray back in the late 70's early 80's. Later on he managed Rothmans Honda racing team with Wayne Gardner, now at FIM.. Again thank you for the info.
    Glenn

Jim and Lew

Thanks again for the info, I got my hands on a /7 Vetter mount. It fits pretty good on my /6 frame just a little tweaking here and there but other than that its a good fit. I'll clean it up and repaint it then I'll post some pictures here when it's on the frame and ready to receive the rabid fairing (which is getting a little face lift, IE repainting and rewiring). Preliminary fitting of the fairing looks good, minor interference with the handle bar but were talking at full deflection right/left before it interferes not to worried about it to much, in 25+ years of riding motorcycles I've never had to use full travel on the handle bars while driving, only time is when I'm pushing or parking the thing.
    Glenn

Re do the welds:)

The old Vetter hardware is just that, getting old, so I highly recommend you find a GOOD welder and re do the welds. Many broke back then with lots of miles, so today its a given for a classic fairing, well done. I understand Craig V. lives in Florida. Used to ride with him, decades ago. Great times. Randy

Ok, that's a great point, I'll strip the paint and take a good look.....I've got acces to die penatrent I might do that. Either way your suggestion of a few doublers and new welds sounds good. What really worries me are the insides (corrosion)I recently had a luggage rack (made by Renolds) mount tube break in half appears rusted inside, hope thats not the case here......thank you for help.
    Glenn

Craig has lived out in the sticks outside of Carmel, California since 1982.

Lew Morris

Quote Originally Posted by Lmo1131 View Post
    Craig has lived out in the sticks outside of Carmel, California since 1982.
    And, if you order any replacement parts from him, you may get a note from him or his wife, as I did. How kweel is that?

http://www.craigvetter.com/pages/vet...ring_made.html

Best
    Brook.
    ---------------------------------
    Brook Reams - Arvada, CO
    Various Two-wheeled Vices, All BMW
    2004 R1150-RS || 2002 F650-GS || 1975 R75/6 || 1973 R75/5

Quote Originally Posted by brook.reams View Post
    And, if you order any replacement parts from him, you may get a note from him or his wife, as I did. How kweel is that?

http://www.craigvetter.com/pages/vet...ring_made.html

Best
    Brook.
    How cool is that? So what did they say?
    Glenn

Yeaaa finally!! DON VESCO FAIRING INSTALLED

Got it installed after a nice overhaul, got the fairing from a guy in Tulsa, needed repainting and rewiring, polished out the wind screen with the Micro-Mesh system came out great, added a common ground bus sytem. Super happy. Just need to find the rubber cover that goes over the head light bucket, got it covered temporarly with shaped plexi-glass and black duct tape, but you have to really look for it though.
    first for forum.jpg
    Second for forum.jpg
    Third for forum.jpg
    Glenn

Few more pics

Glenn